The Collector (1965) - William Wyler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Collector (1965) - William Wyler

Starring Terence Stamp, this film revolves around a socially inept butterfly collector named Freddie (played by Stamp), who out of a perverse desire for companionship, decides to begin collecting women as well. When Stamp notices Samantha Eggar's character, a beautiful well adjusted stronger woman, he decides she would make an excellent companion, kidnaps her and imprisons her in his basement.

I think what I like most about this story is the way Stamp's character rationalizes his actions and treats his victim like she's acting foolish in not wanting him to have a companion. This strange tone is continued throughout, until the surprising conclusion. It's like a morality tale that gets the morality wrong.

Excellent.

I hardly ever see this get mentioned, sad really because its such a good film, I brought this for my collection a couple of years ago

Comment

This is a criminally overlooked psychological horror classic that should be on everyone's must-watch list. Terence Stamp was wildly creepy as he tried to exert rational thinking, as the woman tried to escape her kidnapper. His strange detachment was almost comic at times, but thoroughly entertaining.

A must see for Hammer Fans and 70's English horror fans alike.
      Last edited by Caustic Coffee; 04-21-2013, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by klownz666 View Post
        I hardly ever see this get mentioned, sad really because its such a good film, I brought this for my collection a couple of years ago
        Originally posted by Fanofhorror View Post
        This is a criminally overlooked psychological horror classic that should be on everyone's must-watch list. Terence Stamp was wildly creepy as he tried to exert rational thinking, as the woman tried to escape her kidnapper. His strange detachment was almost comic at times, but thoroughly entertaining.

A must see for Hammer Fans and 70's English horror fans alike.
        You are both wise men.

Comment

I found this streaming. Going to watch it over a bit of lunch. Be back soon.. : )

Comment

That's from the director who made Ben Hur.

You got my attention now, doooownloading...
            "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
            Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

Amazing film...I loved every part. Terrance Stamp..outstanding!

Two best scenes..

[SPOILER]When hes grabbing her and hes..getting aroused...ahem...fuck. He looks totally lustfully insane! Love his face..madness [/SPOILER] and

[SPOILER]Miranda having , or trying to discuss Picasso and Catcher in the Rye with him.[/SPOILER] So amazing..

Thankyou for this Sunday afternoon REC!

What are you going to bring us next? ; )

Comment

Working...
              X