Audition (1999)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audition (1999)

anyone like this movie, i thought it was ok, but i would have liked it better if i didnt have to rent the bastard from netflix, it was well written and the scenes were done well, but i dont know, it was just a little above average for me.

I dug it. I dug how it was normal and slow building the first half,then went totally nuts and surreal for the second half.

However the other Miike movie I've seen,Gozu,is far FAR better...

Comment

Give me Ichi the Killer any day. I meant to buy Audition a while back but I never got around to it. I think it's being released state side soon though but they'll cut crap out probably. I can't believe this actually made it into the top 10 or so of the Bravo horror countdown. And I thought foreign horror was being overlooked.

Comment

Originally posted by travis83
        Give me Ichi the Killer any day. I meant to buy Audition a while back but I never got around to it. I think it's being released state side soon though but they'll cut crap out probably. I can't believe this actually made it into the top 10 or so of the Bravo horror countdown. And I thought foreign horror was being overlooked.
        It's been out uncut on DVD in the US for a while now...the upcoming (or already released?) version just has a couple extras added.

Anyways, this is an excellent film. One of Miike's finest...a great, twisted story of 2 people longing for love that are seriously exactly made for each other. Yeah, it's slow moving, but it's Asian cinema, and that's the MO, and for me, story building is a-ok. The way Miike turns the film on its head halfway through is near brilliance. Unfortuantely, most people know the film and how it goes by now, but imagine seeing it without knowing anything about it. It would be QUITE effective. I actually got to see it in a theatre without knowing much about it in 2001, but unfortunately it was billed as "Asian Horror", so I figured something weird would be happening in the flick...

Comment

oops looks like i'm a little behind. Sorry lol. I agree completely with the point you made that you ruin a movie like Audition if you know what the twist is. I knew what the twist was and it wasn't as effective. Same with Haute Tension. I knew the ending and the whole time I was thinking of how that could happen and wasn't really at all concerned for the well being of the main character because......well you know.

Comment

I thought it was a brilliant film,

the genius definitely lies in the pacing --

plus, it gives you a new impression of that oh, so adorable/submissive Japanese schoolgirl stereotype.

piano wire - genius.

Asian horror blows me away... it's so fresh, and yes, disturbing, fucked up - the more and more I watch Japanese horror for instance, the more I see the recurring themes of that 'absence,' or, 'loneliness'... a lot of greys and blues and a bleak atmosphere on the whole.
            --

So good to see you once again
            I thought that you were hiding from me.
            And you thought that I had run away.
            Chasing a trail of smoke and reason.

-- third-eye; TOOL ...

Comment

I can't stand the people who discredit the film for being, "Slow," and, "Boring."

It's called fucking build up. The protagonist is given so much time with the audience that we really get to see what a great guy he is. Which of course makes it all the more awful in the end. I know I'll probably get bashed for saying this but this has to be one of the most suspenseful/scariest movies I've ever seen.

The movie was also very creative with camera angles and style.

Comment

LOVED it.

kiri, kiri, kiri,kiri, kiri, kiri,kiri, kiri, kiri!!!
                "sugar mr. poon??"

"no never, never."

Comment

like it point blank!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Ripper
                    I can't stand the people who discredit the film for being, "Slow," and, "Boring."

It's called fucking build up. The protagonist is given so much time with the audience that we really get to see what a great guy he is. Which of course makes it all the more awful in the end. I know I'll probably get bashed for saying this but this has to be one of the most suspenseful/scariest movies I've ever seen.

The movie was also very creative with camera angles and style.

What starts as a almost relaxed romantic melodrama for the first 45 minutes becomes a awe-inspiring horror peice for the final part. Possibly the most amazing piece of violence for me in any movie.

Comment

I REALLY loved this movie. Everything about it impressed me. I would have to say that it is the best asian horror flick I have seen thus far. (Though I must admit that list is very small.)
                      http://misanthropeinaction.dvdaf.com/owned

Comment

I really dug it when I first saw it - little did I know Takashi Miike had made a dozen better films! (And a whole bunch worse...!).

I think I stop at "good" rather than "great" because it feels a little bit like a filmmaking exercise in that your entire feeling towards the movie will be fashioned by your emotional response to the last 10 minutes. Still, cool stuff - I like the way it can be read as an anti-patriarchy statement or a hundred other ways, depending on what you want to see in it.

Comment

Amen. It's not for people with low attention spans who wanna get a quick fix. Those whiners need to just give up and leave these kinds of films to the big dogs!
                          Free the West Memphis Three!!!
                          www.wm3.org

Comment

Originally posted by sirand

Amen. It's not for people with low attention spans who wanna get a quick fix. Those whiners need to just give up and leave these kinds of films to the big dogs!
                            Two great points. I have friends that won't watch Asian horror because they have to read...lazy fucks.
                            sigpic

Comment

^^^

It's a sad state of affairs when people don't want to watch a decent film because they have to "read."

It's also funny how re-makes are re-written for American audiences -- cater for the "shorter" attention spans.

I feel that people that criticise the film for being slow don't understand the power of establishing a character and feeling for that character because they become the subject of an undeserved misfortune. As mentioned, this makes it all the more horrific.

The film is good... it takes pains to establish backstory, motivations - makes it palpable to an audience.
                              --

So good to see you once again
                              I thought that you were hiding from me.
                              And you thought that I had run away.
                              Chasing a trail of smoke and reason.

-- third-eye; TOOL ...

Comment

Working...
                              X