1. Requiem for a Dream(2000) - D. Aronofsky
2. Birdman(2014) - A. González Iñárritu
3. Dazed and Confused(1993) - R. Linklater
4. There Will Be Blood(2007) - P. T. Anderson
5. Thirst(2009) - C. Park
6. Dead Man's Shoes(2004) - S. Meadows
7. Pusher(1996) - N. Winding Refn
8. Gomorrah (2008 ) - M. Garrone
9. The Way of the Gun(2000) - C. McQuarrie
10. Sexy Beast(2000) - J. Glazer
I try to see it about once a year and each time it still hits me incredibly hard. It hasn't lost its power on me yet, and I doubt it ever will.
I've only ever seen MARTYRS once... and I think that was enough! It IS indeed a very powerful film and nothing like I thought it was gonna be. I watched it as part of a dvd double-bill with the equally harrowing INSIDE. I didn't want to leave my flat or even speak to another human being for a few days! F**k me, those French sure know how to concoct some messed-up, disturbing imagery that scars the mind and soul (see also FRONTIERS, SWITCHBLADE ROMANCE and of course, IRREVERSIBLE).