Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill List (2011)

From imdb:

The film is all about an out of work cockney man who returns to work as a hired hit-man. He partners up with his ex army team mate to complete a contracted kill list. However, as the list is continually ticked off with kills the main man loses it mentally, becoming more out of control and dangerous. This amidst marital unrest, stress and PTS makes for a turbulent ride. The kill list unveils paedophiles which stir up the underlying anger, and then the couple uncover a cult like gang, which leads into a ferocious but ultimately shocking (yet impressive) ending.

Here the trailer:

[YOUTUBE]aqkqF--v1tg[/YOUTUBE]

And here my review:

Kill List
    A veteran and ex-hitman is in need of money for his young family and gets help from a friend, also a hitman, as he manages to obtain three jobs, which are well-paid. But soon they find out, that these aren't regular customers. It's already too late, as they got quickly entangled in an evil and twisted game, in which they become the protagonists.
    This film was difficult to digest, especially when the twist at the end is revealed. It reminded me lots of Martyrs, but with a different vision in terms of kills and violence. Since Eden Lake, this is easily the most nihilistic piece of film coming out of the UK. I "enjoyed" it a lot, especially the boneshattering physical and psychological violence is a treat for the eyes and mind.

8/10

I highly recommend it, it's worth a look and the invested time.
    Last edited by Santa; 09-18-2011, 03:29 PM.
    "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
    Scott Vogel from Terror

I am dying to see this!! I Loved Ben Wheatley's last film, Down Terrace, and have read nothing but positive reviews for this film.

It was released, in theatres, the day before I went on Holiday. When I got back, it was no longer in the cinema I guess I'll just wait for the DVD.
    sigpic

Comment

Saw is last night at TIFF. I'm trying to think of a way to review or explain it without giving away spoilers.
      I thought it was a good film. It was well acted by the 3.5 leads and I liked the writing and story line. If you like English gangster films it's worth checking out. I'm trying to think of what type of horror fan would like it though. It's a good suspense/thriller/torture/occult film and I guess that's the best way I can describe it.

I would recommend people go check it out.

Comment

Hm, maybe I'll give this a shot. As far as British thriller goes this year, I'm also hoping to catch A Lonely Place To Die. I heard from a friend of mine it is better in every aspect compared to that putrid Eden Lake.

Thx for the recommendation!

She isn't a scream queen for nothing, right?

Comment

I'm dying to see this after reading so many good reviews. It's not showing anywhere near me though. I may have to take a trip to see it as I can't wait for it to be released on DVD.

"I have no idea where this will take us but I have a feeling it will be both wonderful and strange"

Comment

Success!!

A small art-house cinema, near me, is showing this film on Thursday... I will be going
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by el terror View Post
              I'm dying to see this after reading so many good reviews. It's not showing anywhere near me though. I may have to take a trip to see it as I can't wait for it to be released on DVD.
              I won't do that trip if I were you. It is a good film, but not worth taking a (long) trip to see it.
              "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
              Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it... Just a really atmospheric, tense thriller with some great performances and brutal violence.

Definitely worth checking out
                sigpic

Comment

This film was very good. Great actors, tense and brutal scenes and a feeling of impending doom throughout. The ending was also quite a shocker to say the least. It combines elements of several genres successfully, but ultimately I would definitely say it's a horror film. Who says you can't make a great film on a low budget??!!

"I have no idea where this will take us but I have a feeling it will be both wonderful and strange"

Comment

What a coinkydink - I've just finished watching this, had a beer and a smoke and signed into BD and lo and behold there's a thread dedicated to it at the top of the forum, well stone the crows and tickle me pink with a feather duster!!!
                    It's a wickedly funny & sexy Hitmen film (imagine an English/Irish equivalent of the Vincent/Jules characters from Pulp Fiction) and you get the drift.
                    It's about time the British film council made a horror film with some big fucking balls and finally it's happened!
                    It's funny, brutal, touching (some of the scenes between the 2 leading actors highlight a definite love for each other ala In Bruges) and it packs a punch that British horror has shyed away from in recent years.
                    I loved every minute of it, it has a virulent streak of ultra black humour running through its veins and it carries a strong dog-eat-dog subtext that is sooo glaringly obvious it practically punches you in the face.
                    Best British horror I've seen since Bridget Jones' Diary.
                    Get this little belter watched guys, you won't regret it.

Comment

Ummm, I liked it, but I didn't get it or understand it at all. The acting, most of the storyline and the violence were great, but the whole [SPOILER]secret society (or whatever they were) aspect of the film, who they were, what they were trying to achieve and just why they did all this[/SPOILER] was very confusing to me.
                      Last edited by Visitor Q; 01-02-2012, 05:46 AM.

Comment

I saw this and was not particularly impressed. It was just too all over the place. Over confusing narrative and a laughable ending. Not suspenseful at all save for some specific scenes. I get that the audience don't want the answers served on a plate but as i say it was too confusing. Eden lake is a ten times better horror film than this. If you want to watch a good thriller/horror watch that or I Saw The Devil rather than this overhyped film. Id rate it 3/5 stars but definitely not as critics are saying 'one of the films of the year'.

Comment

Finished watching this earlier today. I have alot of mixed feelings about it. In certain ways I really like this because it is very streamlined, and straight forward in plot lines etc. However, the final section, and reveal if you will, was abit akward. It's worth watching once, I'll say that. I have to agree, this film is way overhyped. Now, I Saw The Devil, and Confessions, yes, those deserve some hype.
                          sigpic

Stalk me on Twitter @iamspoonbender

Comment

Originally posted by iamspoonbender View Post
                            Finished watching this earlier today. I have alot of mixed feelings about it. In certain ways I really like this because it is very streamlined, and straight forward in plot lines etc. However, the final section, and reveal if you will, was abit akward. It's worth watching once, I'll say that. I have to agree, this film is way overhyped. Now, I Saw The Devil, and Confessions, yes, those deserve some hype.
                            Although I liked the ending, I have to agree with the comment about it being awkward. I felt it needed a slightly longer conclusion maybe with some explanation as to what the fuck was going on. I still think it's a great film though.
                            What did everyone think of the death scene when...
                            [SPOILER]...he smashes the librarian's head in? It really looked like it was real as there was no cut in it. One minute the guy's lifting his head off the table and then he just lowers it down again and smashes it to pieces! Very well done.[/SPOILER]

Comment

Originally posted by el terror View Post
                              What did everyone think of the death scene when...
                              [SPOILER]...he smashes the librarian's head in? It really looked like it was real as there was no cut in it. One minute the guy's lifting his head off the table and then he just lowers it down again and smashes it to pieces! Very well done.[/SPOILER]
                              I just thought, damn, that was hyper-realistic.
                              And as for the amount of violence itself: it is worth the purchase alone, if you dig those kind of films.
                              Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

Working...
                              X