• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takashi Miike's Lesson of Evil (2012)

Official Teaser
    [YOUTUBE]XLyJ_di7x3E[/YOUTUBE]

Theatrical Trailer
    [YOUTUBE]FrS_2KJz1zU[/YOUTUBE]

High school teacher Seiji Hasumi (Hideaki Ito) is the most popular teacher at his school with an attractive smile. Yet, Seiji Hasumi is a psychopath. To solve some of his school's problems, like bullying, and to protect himself, Seiji begins to kill his students one by one. - Courtesy of Asianwiki.com

Looks.... interesting. First thing that came to mind was Battle Royale. This also looks to be story, and character driven. Miike's proven he can do that sorta thing recently, with 13 Assassins, and still keep the hyper violence he's known for. You know it'll happen at some point. Doesn't come out til Nov. 10th in Japan, so we prob have, at least, another 6 month wait on it. Hope it does well.
    Last edited by BeRightBack; 09-18-2012, 06:30 AM.

Don't need to understand Japanese to know this will be badass. Miike fucking owns! Can't wait!

Comment

Looks pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by yoxodo View Post
        Don't need to understand Japanese to know this will be badass. Miike fucking owns! Can't wait!
        Ya, he does. It's been a while since his last horror movie too, so this is definitely "refreshing". Hopefully that shotgun blast in the preview results in some terrific gore.

Comment

It doesn't really look like a horror movie tho.

Comment

This looks great. I'll watch anything Miike does, there's always a chance of seeing something truly interesting.

Latest BSC: Slumber Party Massacre Review
            Latest BSA: The Mist (Stephen King) vs. The Mist (Frank Darabont) Part I & Part II
            Latest BSVlog: Storage 24 Review
            Latest FNFF: Maniac (2013) Review

Comment

Very interesting trailer, and while it reminds me of Battle Royale slightly, it's obviously significantly different.

I really want to watch this.
              "It's not the end of the world, it's just the end of the day."

Comment

Ugh, no news on a US release, or any type of english sub dvd release yet. It's gotten some good reviews. Hopefully it'll just pop up on netflix one day soon, Like 13 Assassins, and Hara-Kiri.

Comment

Never knew this was in existence.

Looks very good, plus I have always been a fan of Miike. Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by dead breed View Post
                    It doesn't really look like a horror movie tho.
                    Then you'll be surprised.

Miike continues to move into a different direction. A more clear, mainstream direction, with little sprinkles of the weirdness, and brutality that made him so popular in the first place. I don't mind if he keeps churning out movies like this.

The main in this movie comes off as an American Psycho, and there's an extremely high body count, and lots of splatter. Not so much gore. Plays like a murder mystery, and then goes insane slasher style in the final act.

I liked that the children weren't dumbasses.

Comment

Originally posted by BeRightBack View Post

Miike continues to move into a different direction. A more clear, mainstream direction, with little sprinkles of the weirdness, and brutality that made him so popular in the first place. I don't mind if he keeps churning out movies like this.

The main in this movie comes off as an American Psycho, and there's an extremely high body count, and lots of splatter. Not so much gore. Plays like a murder mystery, and then goes insane slasher style in the final act.

I liked that the children weren't dumbasses.
                      Where did you get to see this?
                      ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by horrorking95 View Post
                        Where did you get to see this?
                        sorry for the late response, but I downloaded this off the torrent.

Comment

sorry for the late response, but I downloaded this off the torrent.
                          Oh OK thanks. I think I'll wait until the DVD then, seeing as I'm a bit of a technophobe!
                          ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

The movie didn't have as strong of an impact that Audition and Ichi the Killer had, but it was a disturbing movie with a very strong lead actor. The story was very interesting and I liked how it progressed. Miike's style in the movie is easily recognizable and I'm curious to see if they make a sequel.
                            "It's not the end of the world, it's just the end of the day."

Comment

Positive reviews all the way, Fantasia's appraisal is also overwhelming:

We prefer to warn you, LESSON OF THE EVIL could very well be the most shocking and provocative film directed by Takashi Miike to this day, which is saying something. A story built around a teacher planning on killing dozens of adolescents on school property may raise eyebrows, but the hunting-rifle carnage that occurs near the end of this will evoke the worst tragedies that have made the headlines recently. Let’s just say that Miike’s return to exploitation cinema, after a few forays into more accessible genres (think of ACE ATTORNEY, FOR LOVE’S SAKE and 13 ASSASSINS) led him to be in Competition at Cannes, shows no half measures or fear of ripping everything apart. Miike remains Miike and for his hordes of fans, it’s perfect like that. For LESSON OF THE EVIL, he himself adapts the Yusuke Kishi novel, in the process creating one of the most terrifying psychopaths seen on screen. It’s a role perfectly inhabited by Hideaki Ito (SUKIYAKI WESTERN DJANGO) who executes his students with blood-curling, icy detachment. LESSON OF THE EVIL is a horror film with no compromises that will bruise your soul and make you teeth grind. After this screening, you will also never listen to the song “Mack The Knife” the same way…
                              Source

Bitches, this will be fun, fun, fun.

That's an understatement my friend. In this one, all Miike hell breaks lose, especially at the end.
                              Last edited by Santa; 08-18-2013, 06:25 AM.
                              "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
                              Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

Working...
                              X