Kairo (PULSE)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnneGwish
    Sorry you didn't care for this one. It's one of my favorite horrors ever. Hell, one of my favorite movies ever, period. It's certainly not for everyone though.
    Agreed. I found it utterly marvellous, with so much going on despite a leisurely pace - it's nice to see a film take on big issues in a subtle kind of way without banging you over the head like a Hollywood film would do.

Sad, affecting, intricately clever in both script and filming, probably my pick for best horror film of the past decade.

Looking forward to Kiyoshi Kurosawa's next horror flick, The Loft...

Comment

Originally posted by mr_stroppy
      Agreed. I found it utterly marvellous, with so much going on despite a leisurely pace - it's nice to see a film take on big issues in a subtle kind of way without banging you over the head like a Hollywood film would do.

Sad, affecting, intricately clever in both script and filming, probably my pick for best horror film of the past decade.

What big issue was it taking on?
      If I win the lottery, I'm keeping you in an endless sea of bitches.

Comment

I was too until I read the reviews...Which have all been bad...

Comment

Oh, no shit? Ah, that's crappy news...I was hoping he'd turned back to what he does best after the disappointing Doppelganger and Bright Future. Damn.

Comment

Originally posted by Brainfreeeeeze
            What big issue was it taking on?
            What I got from it was that it was a comment on how people are very disconnected from eachother, thanks to technology. Especially so after the internet. We're surrounded by people every day, but we make no real connection with any of them except through electronic and "artificial" means. As a consequence, we run a high risk of going through life basically alone, lonely, and kind of empty.

Kairo kind of takes this notion and pumps it up into global epidemic purportions. The loneliness is like an infection. When you come in contact with one of these ghosts, you are infected with their loneliness and despair and eventually become one of them. Empty, scared, sad, alone, and unable to reach out to anyone for help in any real sense.

That's my feeble attempt at an explanation. I'm probably not doing a very good job of putting my thoughts down.

The Obligatory DVD List - I'm not a trader. Just a show-off.

"The three most terrifying things in the world are werewolves, clowns and unplanned pregnancy."

Comment

Oh, no shit? Ah, that's crappy news...I was hoping he'd turned back to what he does best after the disappointing Doppelganger and Bright Future. Damn.
              He's right. I've heard that as well. Disappointing really. I was so looking forward to it. I enjoyed Doppleganger and Bright Future but I enjoy his take on horror more than anything else he's done. I'll still see it but my hopes have definitely been taken down a few notches.

The Obligatory DVD List - I'm not a trader. Just a show-off.

"The three most terrifying things in the world are werewolves, clowns and unplanned pregnancy."

Comment

I heard that it's really silly and funny when it's not supposed to be...The trailer made it look awesome though...

Comment

Originally posted by blackdream71
                  I just watched this last nite and i have to say this was one of the most boring and useless pieces of shit i've seen in a long time, there was absolutely NOTHING scary or disturbing about this movie, i can't believe i wasted almost 2 hours watching this crap. I pray to God the USA remake is better, from the previews i've seen it definitely looks to be.

go ahead flame away.....
                  Thank god, I'm not the only one who didnt care about that one. Maybe I was expecting too much out of it. Not a big fan. The US remake just has to be better.

oh and you can flame me too.

I know theres tons of fans of that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by N2NOther
                    Good idea, and a very weak execution...I didn't find it scary or creepy after about 1/3 of the way through...

funny....because that's when it starts to become a good film (at the third point) and stops being a derivative bore.

just saw this today, and overall i thought it was very good. at first, i thought i was in store for another boring film like ju-on and ringu.....all surface scares, no substance. luckily, i was wrong. the message is hardly original, but the execution of the message was nice...from an evil technology/ghost story to an interesting "end of the world" flick.....with an ending that was perfect (and also makes sense of many of the earlier "suicides"). i can't imagine life in japan is that alienating...but the notion that it is makes the genesis for some interesting horror films.

kind of like a restrained/precise supernatural version of Suicide Club....good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by relsh
                      funny....because that's when it starts to become a good film (at the third point) and stops being a derivative bore.
                      It becomes interesting, but not scary...Which is my point...

just saw this today, and overall i thought it was very good. at first, i thought i was in store for another boring film like ju-on and ringu.....all surface scares, no substance. luckily, i was wrong. the message is hardly original, but the execution of the message was nice...from an evil technology/ghost story to an interesting "end of the world" flick.....with an ending that was perfect (and also makes sense of many of the earlier "suicides"). i can't imagine life in japan is that alienating...but the notion that it is makes the genesis for some interesting horror films.
                      I was unimpressed with the execution...

Comment

Kairo was decent, but it's not one of favorites by any means...
                        I think the pacing was off, the characters were really thin, and it got way too ahead of itself, especially near the end of the film...

The underlying messages were quite interesting, but it wasn't enough to make me want to go back to it often...I think it was due for a remake.

That being said, I'm sure much of what made the original more than just a techno-ghost story will be lost in translation...

Comment

I didn't care much about seeing this after watching the trailer. I don't really like Kristin Bell either. I'll end up waiting for the DVD of this movie.

Comment

Me and my GF watched this last night.. after 1 hour we agreeed to turn it off, we both found it very boring. I did not find it very scary, spooky, creepy and to be honest not very entertaining.

Comment

Kairo was alright, a little hard to understand but it was creepy.I'll probably go see Pulse because it has Kristen Bell in it.
                              My DVD List
                              Sig made by slasherman
                              My Wishlist

Comment

Agreed, this film isn't for everyone. I definitely understand when people think it's too slow. At the same time, I believe the pacing is integral to the overall effect of the film. In a way, I think this movie could almost be some kind of companion to Diary of the Dead; at least to the ideas Romero was trying to get across.

Technology has become a huge staple in present-day life. We rely on it too willingly (Diary) and because of this we aren't relying on each other and actual physical relationship (Kairo).

I didn't find this movie scary so much as chilling, a sort of cautionary tale that we are becoming to infatuated with technology. I found this to be better than Ju-On or Ringu (not that either were bad). I'd say that Kairo and A Tale of Two Sisters are among my favorite Asian horror films ever (The Host, Oldboy, any animes, they don't count).
                                The end is extremely fucking nigh

Comment

Working...
                                X