No announcement yet.

Prison (1988)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw this and it was damn great. Everything you would expect from a horror or that era. Great cast of engaging characters and actors, very strong ghoulish atmosphere in a great location, great kills and sfx, and just overall a very entertaining and well made horror movie.

8/10

Comment

Originally posted by Mirage01 View Post
      Just saw this and it was damn great. Everything you would expect from a horror or that era. Great cast of engaging characters and actors, very strong ghoulish atmosphere in a great location, great kills and sfx, and just overall a very entertaining and well made horror movie.

8/10
      Brilliant! I must snare the Blu-ray at some point.
      "When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

Comment

Woah!

I'd heard of this through the Friday The 13th Part VII connection (John Carl Buechler did the make-up effects on the film, and of course Kane Hodder played the ghost at the end of the picture), but I'd never managed to check it out before now.

That was a mistake, as this is a pretty magnificent piece of eighties horror. It's got a sort of sub-Hellraiser vibe going on with all the barbed wire imagery, and also feels a bit like an early 90s Wes Craven picture, given the voodoo elements strewn in here and there.

The period from 1988 to 1990 saw a handful of other vengeful-prisoner-takes-his-revenge-from-beyond type films - I'm thinking of Craven's Shocker and House III/The Horror Show, but this is quite a bit better than either. Makes me wonder what was in the cultural atmosphere at the time.

Anyway, really solid picture. Have I ever professed my love for Viggo Mortensen before? He's a fucking terrific actor, and comes off a bit like Clint Eastwood in this movie.

Really solid stuff. 7.5/10
        Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
        To the very toes he is terrified
        For the ground gives way under him
        And the dreams begin...

Comment

Working...
        X