City of the Living Dead (1980)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City of the Living Dead (1980)

After a priest commits suicide, a ghastly horror is unleashed on the quaint New England town of Dunwich. The rotting denizens of the local cemetery rise and walk the Earth. A journalist teams up with a psychic to send the dead back into the earth. If their race against time is lost, within three days all hell will break loose--literally! Highly recommended, although not for the squeamish.

I have never heard of this film and it's coming out on DVD on the 27th. Is there a reason I have never heard of this? Is it really that bad?
    Last edited by Caustic Coffee; 06-29-2011, 12:09 PM.

--Last Horror Movies Watched in theaters--

1. Mirrors (5/10)
    2. Midnight Meat Train (6/10)
    3. X-Files: I Want To Believe (3/10)

Its been out on dvd for years. Its Fulci, its awesome. There are other threads floating around about it. If you like gory, bloody zombie flicks, check it out.

Resonance - Fusion - Selection - Conception - Evolution - Liberation

Comment

Ahh ok because DVD Planet has it just coming out soon. lol! And I love Fulci. I'll definitely give this a watch.

--Last Horror Movies Watched in theaters--

1. Mirrors (5/10)
      2. Midnight Meat Train (6/10)
      3. X-Files: I Want To Believe (3/10)

Comment

As with most Fulci, don't expect a completely coherent plot, or any real character development... just gore. Lots and lots of really great gore.

Comment

Been meaning to check it out... The only Fulci movies I've seen are Zombi 2 and Zombi 3 (the latter may not even count, lol)

The original Anchor Bay release is available on the net pretty cheap. I'm sure Blue Underground's release is identical to that one, but it's cool that it's being put back in print again.

My DVD's
          +5 Trader Status

"God has left the building."

Comment

Originally posted by Horror_Guy View Post
            Ahh ok because DVD Planet has it just coming out soon. lol! And I love Fulci. I'll definitely give this a watch.
            you mean it's not out on DVD yet ?

Comment

Originally posted by Horror_Guy View Post
              I have never heard of this film and it's coming out on DVD on the 27th. Is there a reason I have never heard of this? Is it really that bad?
              It's pretty well known. Must've slipped under your radar. Many in the US first encountered it by another name: The Gates of Hell. People that see it tend to remember it ... or at least remember the head drilling and intestine vomiting scenes. I like "The Beyond" and "Zombie 2" more, but any horror/zombie fan should check this out at least once.

Comment

Originally posted by Slashaholic View Post
                you mean it's not out on DVD yet ?
                Considering I own it...twice...I'm going to say it's on DVD.

Comment

mediocre fulci.....like dobe said, it is out on dvd already.

Comment

Yep, like I said, Anchor Bay released it on DVD, but I believe that edition's out of print now.

Blue Underground is just re-releasing it.

My DVD's
                    +5 Trader Status

Comment

There's somethin' really dirty about this flick... I loved it.

Letterbox'd - Horror Etc - The Hysteria Continues - Film Junk - GGTMC

Comment

Dirty? Well, I'm sure the intestine-vomiting scene is pretty messy, so yeah.

I MUST buy this... Away I go to look it up.
                        Last edited by Ashton; 02-05-2007, 10:33 PM.

My DVD's
                        +5 Trader Status

Comment

It's one of Fulci's big four.Along with Zombi2,The Beyond,and House by the Cemetery.I would also recommend Lizard in a Womans Skin and The New York Ripper if you like giallos.But yeah,if you like Fulci,you're pretty much guaranteed to like City of the Living Dead.
                          Last edited by superfry; 02-05-2007, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Yep, I love giallo. I'll check all these movies out, definitely. I'm looking around for "The Beyond" as well.

I also want to see "The Black Cat," to compare it to Argento's version in "Two Evil Eyes."

My DVD's
                            +5 Trader Status

Comment

Originally posted by Ashton View Post
                              Yep, I love giallo. I'll check all these movies out, definitely. I'm looking around for "The Beyond" as well.

I also want to see "The Black Cat," to compare it to Argento's version in "Two Evil Eyes."
                              I hate to disappoint but Fulci's Black Cat really isn't that good.Kind of boring with very little gore.I got it with Anchor Bays Mans Worst Friends Fright Pack.If you can find one of those fairly cheap(I got mine for $20)I'd say go for it.It also contains Argento's Cat o' Nine Tails which,to me pretty much made the set worthwhile in itself.But The Black Cat is pretty dry and uneventful even for the most forgiving of Fulci fans.For a slow moving mystery it's merely OK.For Fulci it's pretty damn boring.

Comment

Working...
                              X