The Exorcist (1973)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tressia Ecks View Post
    if you goggle top ten lists for horror movies, the Exorcist makes them 99.9% of the time. That's gotta say something.
    that it's overrated?

Comment

Originally posted by milby trillion View Post
      that it's overrated?
      Precisely

Comment

I don't think it's overrated...but I think about it this way. Most of the people on here are guys who have spent their whole lives watching Freddy and Jason and all the other horror movie franchises and what not and have pretty much been desensitized to most films.

But now, pretend you've never seen any of those movies, because they haven't been made yet. The only real scary movie that's really been around is Night of the Living Dead which some people found scary but others didn't. My dad for instance never found zombies scary when he saw it back in the 60's. He though and still thinks they're stupid. I love them but anyway...

Then also look at the fact most people are religious in this country, or at least were god fearing people in the 1970's. A film like this scared a lot of people and touched on some serious taboos.

Or easier yet...pretend your a woman and your little girl is ramming a cross between her legs and screaming let Jesus fuck you. Nobody had seen anything like that before and a simple god fearing mother might get a little freaked out at that sight...lol.

So is it as scary today to a lot of people who have seen all sorts of horror movies. No, it's not. But it doesn't make it overrated. It's just a generational difference...in my opinion at least.
        http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...es&count=title

Comment

i think it deserves the hype it gets. Awesome horror film, one of the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher Freak View Post
            I've never had the cojones to see this late at night.
            true, thats a challenge watch this baby at midnight with the lights out.

Comment

Originally posted by realdealblues View Post
              I don't think it's overrated...but I think about it this way. Most of the people on here are guys who have spent their whole lives watching Freddy and Jason and all the other horror movie franchises and what not and have pretty much been desensitized to most films.

But now, pretend you've never seen any of those movies, because they haven't been made yet. The only real scary movie that's really been around is Night of the Living Dead which some people found scary but others didn't. My dad for instance never found zombies scary when he saw it back in the 60's. He though and still thinks they're stupid. I love them but anyway...

Then also look at the fact most people are religious in this country, or at least were god fearing people in the 1970's. A film like this scared a lot of people and touched on some serious taboos.

Or easier yet...pretend your a woman and your little girl is ramming a cross between her legs and screaming let Jesus fuck you. Nobody had seen anything like that before and a simple god fearing mother might get a little freaked out at that sight...lol.

So is it as scary today to a lot of people who have seen all sorts of horror movies. No, it's not. But it doesn't make it overrated. It's just a generational difference...in my opinion at least.
              Agreed!

If You Can't Find A Friend, Make One

Comment

Thanks mate, cheers...
                http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...es&count=title

Comment

Good to see some responses. Never thought this thread would take off...

Comment

I thought it was very good for it's time. You gotta think about when it came out, nobody ever seen anything like that before.

Comment

Originally posted by realdealblues View Post

Well, I dont' think that's a great argument, that people who rate it highly haven't seen a lot of horror movies. That's like taking certain people like MTV's word that Metallica is the greatest rock band ever without knowing the genre.

Comment

Overated? WTF!!!!!

Originally posted by black coffee View Post
                        I don't think it's overrated. It deserves the praise it gets.

One of the greatest horrormovies ever and so ahead of its time.
                        Today's generation are used to seeing a full close up of people being disembowled...and that's horror...desensitization.

Back in 73', people were fainting in the theatre and panicking from this movie. It is a pillar of horror. One of the best. Untouchable. Mother/daughter/divorce/relationship, science vs. religion, etc... multi layered.

[QUOTE=Doc;661142]... Science fails early on, and ultimately faith fails as well. The only thing that really works in the end is when Damien drops his role as therapist, drops his role as priest, and assumes the role of Damien the boxer (a minor character trait introduced earlier in the film) and quite literally beats the demon out of her.../QUOTE]

That's a great perspective. I take back all the negative shit I thought of you.
                        Last edited by Under The Rose; 03-12-2007, 05:43 PM. Reason: added the "t"
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't think it is over rated
                          Want to trade? PM me
                          http://armyofthedeadsurvivor.dvdaf.com/owned

sigpic

Comment

It was great for its time.. its time has gone and now its overrated.. It just does nothing for me.. never did.. even when I was really really young and watched it I never really was scared i dunno to each his own..

Comment

Over rated? Not at all. Great movie

Comment

This movie is a 10/10 for me.

If You Can't Find A Friend, Make One

Comment

Working...
                                X