The Exorcist (1973)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with Beetlegeuse on this one...

"I've seen the Exorcist about a hundred and sixty-seven times, and it keeps getting funnier every single time I see it!!!!"

But then I'm a sick, twisted individual...

Actually it WAS Adam and Steve. This is what happens when you read the translation.

Comment

Well, it's a great film, to be sure. But it didn't really meat my expectations... Obviously, those were hard to reach because it's constantly being stated that it's "The scariest movie of all time." To be honest, it didn't really affect me at all. The script had some pacing issues, I think... Regan's behavior simply set in too quickly, and it didn't really develop her mother's INITIAL shock or worriment enough.

Then, the last half of the movie was simply too over the top... The film would have been much more effective had it gone for more subtlety... For example, doing Linda Blair up in all that demon makeup simply LESSENS the down-to earth-horror that the movie begins with. The second half of the movie just seemed like a lot of screaming, swearing, and fancy special effects... Nothing really “scary.” But I'm an atheist. Maybe a religious person would find it, on a whole, more disturbing.

What really made this film, for me, was the great performances, and the ideas behind the story... But not necessarily how those ideas were presented.

My DVD's
      +5 Trader Status

"God has left the building."

Comment

my favorite part was learning that the Director, to get the old Father to be really emotional in a particular scene and he couldn't get their as an actor the director asked the actor "do you trust me?" the father said "sure" and the Director slapped the hell out of him he was infuriated and pulled off the scene, it was pretty funny when I found that out.

Comment

Overated? Hmmm.... just a bit. For some reason the third Exorcist scared me while the first only unnerved me.

Though that's not to say it's still a damn fine movie! It's intelligent, moody, and well acted-something we don't get enough of today.

Though that demoniac's potty-mouthing had me in stitches more than once, which I don't believe was intentional...
          Memory,prophecy and fantasy-
          the past, the future and
          the dreaming moment between-
          are all one country, living one immortal day.

To know that is Wisdom. To use it is the Art.
          -Clive Barker

Comment

Originally posted by Reel_Horrorshow View Post
            Overated? Hmmm.... just a bit. For some reason the third Exorcist scared me while the first only unnerved me.

Though that's not to say it's still a damn fine movie! It's intelligent, moody, and well acted-something we don't get enough of today.

Though that demoniac's potty-mouthing had me in stitches more than once, which I don't believe was intentional...
            The vulgarity had me laughing when I was younger...but now I'm old enough to understand how shocking it really is and put it in perspective of the mother being put thru that...it's really sick...and I love it!
            Assassins"Official Facebook Page"

Check out my NEW official website HERE.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeBonomo View Post
              The vulgarity had me laughing when I was younger...but now I'm old enough to understand how shocking it really is and put it in perspective of the mother being put thru that...it's really sick...and I love it!
              Yeah, same here! It's like Dennis Hopper's character Frank Booth from Blue Velvet : vulgar, terrifying, and funny at the same time.
              Memory,prophecy and fantasy-
              the past, the future and
              the dreaming moment between-
              are all one country, living one immortal day.

To know that is Wisdom. To use it is the Art.
              -Clive Barker

Comment

that is a total load of bullshit. the exorcist is not overrated. if it was pg-13 you want kids going to see it in theaters and then having to go to therapy for like 3 months after? give me a fucking break

Comment

Originally posted by Protuberance View Post
                  If you were a mother and your daughter started throwing furniture at you with her mind, wouldn't you immediately run to the priest? The answer to that would be, yes.
                  Not in my damn house! My kids ever pull any of that demonic shite and I'll give 'em a good old fashioned ass beatin'. Problem solved.

Actually it WAS Adam and Steve. This is what happens when you read the translation.

Comment

Originally posted by Protuberance View Post
                    It's not a great movie, it's a joke. If you were a mother and your daughter started throwing furniture at you with her mind, wouldn't you immediately run to the priest? The answer to that would be, yes. Not in the movie. She fucks around for a boring twenty or so minutes before she even thinks about going to a priest. That's pretty fucking silly, like the rest of the movie.
                    Wrong. I think it's pretty safe to assume that she would exhaust the scientific/medical side of it first before running to superstition, especially as someone who is not religious, which she specifically verifies in the film.

Comment

No THE EXORCIST is not overrated.It's a great movie what's legend overshadows it.It's been built up so much over the years that people (especially todays younger viewers with their "Thrill me now,or it sucks forever"attitudes)almost can't help but be let down.THE EXORCIST is a solid thriller with good acting,great direction,a solid story,and deeper things going on beneath the surface.Watching it for shock value alone will never work because it only rewards those willing to invest patience and empathy to let it work on ones subconscious,where it does its work.That's of course assuming you have an understanding of the concept of humans having a "soul" or redemption.Watching THE EXORCIST just for the scares is like watching THE GODFATHER just for the violence.You're missing out on a LOT more than you're getting from it.

Comment

I absolutely love The Exorcist. I was worried it wouldn't live up to its name, but it surpassed all my expectations, and I tend to be pretty critical... I wish it had a better DVD release though that included all the different versions and an exhaustive behind-the-scenes documentary. I'm part of the "younger" audience too, but I think the film is perfect, and I know several people my age who agree. I think there's this perpetual myth that younger audiences can't appreciate older movies or films that take their time, but in my experience, that just isn't true. Really great films like this one stand the test of time.

But I could be wrong...

----------------------

nothing lasts forever...

http://www.theskyhasfallenmovie.com

Comment

Originally posted by black coffee View Post
                          I don't think it's overrated. It deserves the praise it gets.

One of the greatest horrormovies ever and so ahead of its time.
                          Does anyone else find it funny how ironic this posts is?

What cracks me up even more is the people making excuses as to why it's not overrated, but fail to even remotely see that the movie just isn't that good.

And sorry, but every single scene of demonic possession in this movie induces belly laughs. Sure this was scary when it came out...No one knew any better...Excuses are fun.
                          Last edited by N2NOther; 03-20-2007, 05:56 AM.

Comment

This is a good movie. I dont think its over rated at all.

Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead were terrifying when they came out, but people laugh at them now. So what?

I have never done drugs and I never will. I was even the best student in the D.A.R.E. program back in the 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Chainsaw Suicide View Post
                              This is a good movie. I dont think its over rated at all.

Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead were terrifying when they came out, but people laugh at them now. So what?
                              Well, to tell you the truth, I found Night of the Living Dead to be more creepy than this.

My DVD's
                              +5 Trader Status

"God has left the building."

Comment

Dawn of the dead Over rated, Evil Dead Over rated, The Exorcist not over rated at all a great chilling creepy horror film.

Comment

Working...
                                X