No announcement yet.

The Exorcist (1973)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it had something to do with a satanic cult. Apparently in the book there is something about a black mass. Remember the defaced statue in the church?

Comment

• Originally posted by CountOrlok View Post
      I think it had something to do with a satanic cult. Apparently in the book there is something about a black mass. Remember the defaced statue in the church?

Okay yeah I do remember that, so in the book the cult brings it to that area.
      Makes sense bookwise, I think the detective mentions something about this as well to the defunct priest when he is questioning him on the run track. Now I am going to go back and rewatch and see if I pick up on this subtlety.
      Thanks Count!
      Anyone else?

Comment

• How did Reagan get possessed? Was it when she was playing with the Ouija board? She's quoted saying she "uses it all the time" during the ouija board scene.
        15 WWE DVD LOT Rock Hogan Hell in a Cell Ladder Match:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200602122789

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkHumor View Post
          How did Reagan get possessed? Was it when she was playing with the Ouija board? She's quoted saying she "uses it all the time" during the ouija board scene.
          See thats what the film assumes. So in re of the last posting..eh hem..here goes

A satanic cult visited the church near the house, somehow the talisman got carried up the street from the church either by supernatural strength or earthly occurence to the stairs(or was placed their knowingly by satanic cult member) and through the use of the ouija board the evil spirit in the talisman found its way into Regan. ...whew.

Also as an edit have not gotten around to watching the movie in its entirety again, will have some free time this weekend so I will see if I can find anything else we might be missing. I think though that if one wants to get a handle on the events, one must read the book.
          Last edited by Chevy Chase; 03-09-2011, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by black coffee View Post
            I don't think it's overrated. It deserves the praise it gets.

One of the greatest horrormovies ever and so ahead of its time.
            I completely agree. You've got to remember its from 1973. They handed out barf bags for christs sake. Anyway, I had the opportunity to see it in the theatre this past October. It was a great experience.

Comment

• I used to think this movie was way overrated, still kinda do, but I like it more than I used to. It's sad that Linda Blair is such an underrated actress.

Comment

• Love this film! And yes, as far as i'm concerned it was an still IS the scariest horror movie ever. I'll go as far to say it is arguabley the BEST horror movie of all time, in my opinion.

Here's why; The Exorcist to me, is the total package. There are many different elements required to create a successful horror film, and this one has them all: A scary solid script, strong directing, competent editing, EXCELLENT acting, wonderful make up/sfx, a healthy mix of the gross out factor and old school creepiness, and an extremely eerie and memorable score.

While there are plenty horror films that have many of those qualities, i know of none that have them ALL, except The Exorcist.

A true masterpiece, in my opinion.
                Last edited by Creature Features; 01-15-2012, 01:08 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• I was wondering, since there has been so many exorcism type films (its basically a genre now) and the Exorcist inspired them all, were there any influences for the Exorcist itself? Basically, are there any exorcism films that predate it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
                    I was wondering, since there has been so many exorcism type films (its basically a genre now) and the Exorcist inspired them all, were there any influences for the Exorcist itself? Basically, are there any exorcism films that predate it?
                    Here's one...http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030092/

My DVD's/Blu's

Comment

• Scariest movie I've ever seen. Watched it for the very first time a few nights ago, & I can see why it was effective. The beginning drags along, mostly because I feel like they were trying to develop the characters, but from the time the major shit starts happening and to the end, it's very fucking solid.

It's been a long, long time since I've been genuinely scared by a movie...to the point where I felt like a little kid looking for monsters under my bed. haha

Comment

• "The Exorcist (expanded edition)"....This 1973/2000 newly edited version was released with various scene extensions, more evil images, deleted scenes from the original cut, and most importantly a devastating staircase descent by "Regan". The Exorcist is truly one of the scariest and shocking movies ever made. Direction by William Friedkin is great and the screenplay by William Peter Blatty is outstanding. The cast is absolutely wonderful and the performances are spot on!! Ellen Burstyn, Jason Miller, Max Von Sydow, Linda Blair, and Lee J. Cobb all deliver shining and commanding moments. There are so many unnerving and shocking moments to praise and give notice. The spinning of the head, the crucifix scene, the exorcism scenes...the list goes on. Its one hell of a movie, and one that none of us will ever forget!! Nominated for 10 Academy Awards(including Best Picture) and winner (Sound and Screenplay) of 2 !!

10/10

Comment

• ISIS has destroyed Hatra, the ancient city that features in Father Merrin's archaeological expedition in the opening scenes of The Exorcist.

Jihadists attacked the 2,000-year-old city of Hatra with bulldozers after flattening the Nimrud archaeological site near Mosul, in northern Iraq. Two weeks ago, the jihadist group published a video showing militants destroying artefacts in a Mosul museum and at the Nergal Gate to ancient Nineveh, taking a sledgehammer to artefacts.

"We have confirmation that they bulldozed sites at Nimrud and Hatra. What we don't have is information about the size of the area which has been razed," said Qais Rasheed, head of the antiquities board.
                          Unrelated: on the subject of films dealing with the subject matter of exorcism before The Exorcist, I have heard 1972's The Possession Of Joel Delaney compared favorably to Friedkin's picture, but I've not seen it yet. It reads like it's closer to The Exorcist III than the original movie, however, with the soul of a deceased serial killer possessing a man.
                          Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
                          To the very toes he is terrified
                          For the ground gives way under him
                          And the dreams begin...

Comment

• I'm not trying to be a 'troll' or anything here - I understand why The Exorcist is held in such high regard with Horror fandom but I personally never dug this flick. I saw it on video when I was about eleven I think and even then, it didn't have the desired effect as say, Carpenter's Halloween or Hooper's The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

Re-watching it again many years later, I realised it is a well layered and well directed effort but again, it failed to leave any impression upon me as a Horror fan. And now, by enlarge, I find that any sort of 'exorcism / 'possession' film does absolutely NOTHING for me (The Entity, The Last Exorcism, The Omen, Amityville etc.) I don't know why... I just seem to get bored.

Obviously, stuff like the mighty EVIL DEAD films are another thing entirely. Films about Satan doing his thing - zilch. Oh, except END OF DAYS! That was a fun flick.

Again, I'm not trolling. Just my opinion.... But I'll shut the f**k up now as I can hear the pitch forks and torches being prepared...!
                            "When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Carson View Post
                              Films about Satan doing his thing - zilch.
                              This is one misconception that does irk me slightly.

She was not possessed by the devil, it was the mythological demon Pazuzu. Fair enough for not loving it as much as everyone else though. I myself find the film to be near flawless, and as sick of exorcism/possession films as I am, I will never tire of The Exorcist.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Devil's Lyric View Post
                                She was not possessed by the devil, it was the mythological demon Pazuzu.
                                Sorry man, I didn't recall this detail. 'Pazuzu'.... Sounds funny when you say it out loud, eh? 'PAZUZU'!!!
                                "When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

Comment

Working...
                                X