X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by superfry View Post
    No GODFATHERs?
    Nope, never bothered.
    Last edited by CJ_01976; 04-30-2007, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Quoted by superfry
      No GODFATHERs?

Duuuuuuude......
      Don't sound so surprised, loads of people haven't seen them.
      Out of my sight, thou dost infect my eyes!

Comment

He always does seem to have fucked up endings to his movies.

Comment

Originally posted by mcilroga View Post
          Agreed (though, on a personal level, I enjoyed Misery just as much). King is a mediocre writer; his ideas are great but the executions are something else, and his endings are, for the most part, either completely incongruous or nonexistent, but The Shining is a stunning example of King at his finest... bring back those days, please.
          Wow you're harsh. In one paragraph you call Stephen King both mediocre while stating The Shining is a stunning example of King at his finest... so which is he? Stunning or mediocre?

Stephen King is definitely not mediocre, he may be a bit wordy at times, and almost pedantically detailed where it doesn't seem to fit, but if he has some stunning books you can't really call him a mediocre writer.

As for Godfather, everyone should watch part 1 and 2.
          KITTYSAFE.NET
          Facebook | Website
          | For Mews, News, Reviews, Poetry, Music and Ideas |

Comment

I'm surprised nobody's pooped out a movie of BAG OF BONES yet.

That was a pretty decent book.

Comment

imo, the scariest film ever made. kubrick was the supreme filmmaker

Comment

Originally posted by goose101 View Post
                He always does seem to have fucked up endings to his movies.
                His books are the same...the following had excellent concepts but poor execution (in my opinion):
                • Thinner
                • The Dead Zone
                • It
                • Rose Madder
                • Insomnia
                • Firestarter
                • Dolores Claiborne

I'm sure there are others that I can't think of at the moment...

Forward, not permanent, sweet, not lasting.

Comment

Originally posted by brokenandtwisted View Post
                  His books are the same...the following had excellent concepts but poor execution (in my opinion):
                  • Thinner
                  • The Dead Zone
                  • It
                  • Rose Madder
                  • Insomnia
                  • Firestarter
                  • Dolores Claiborne

I'm sure there are others that I can't think of at the moment...
                  I agree with all on this list except THE DEAD ZONE.Which I thought was one of his better ones.

And since you listed THINNER I guess you're counting his Bachman stuff in which I would add THE REGULATORS

Comment

The Dead Zone is a great one. And if we're including Bachman I would have to give an honorable mention to "The Long Walk" which I thoroughly enjoyed in jr high.
                    KITTYSAFE.NET
                    Facebook | Website
                    | For Mews, News, Reviews, Poetry, Music and Ideas |

Comment

Originally posted by superfry View Post
                      I agree with all on this list except THE DEAD ZONE.Which I thought was one of his better ones.
                      The ending ruined it...or rather, how the book played out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kupotek View Post
                        The Dead Zone is a great one. And if we're including Bachman I would have to give an honorable mention to "The Long Walk" which I thoroughly enjoyed in jr high.
                        The novellas in THE BACHMAN BOOKS were really pretty good.

A faithful movie version of THE RUNNING MAN could kick some serious ass.

Guess pulling RAGE from all new printed copies isn't helping anything these days,huh?
                        Last edited by superfry; 04-30-2007, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• The Dead Zone - I like the ending of this one.
                          • It - Shoot me in the face I was so bored.
                          • Rose Madder - I like the end, but it could have been executed better.
                          • Insomnia - Cured my insomnia - currently reading. If I ever get to the end I'll let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by apocalypticdreamer View Post
                            The Dead Zone - I like the ending of this one.
                            Meh. Greg Stillson was "too cartoonish" for my liking...but, to each their own.

Comment

Meh. Greg Stillson was "too cartoonish" for my liking...but, to each their own.
                              same with all his books, i think. too much sentiment

Comment

Originally posted by Kupotek View Post
                                Wow you're harsh. In one paragraph you call Stephen King both mediocre while stating The Shining is a stunning example of King at his finest... so which is he? Stunning or mediocre?
                                A stunning book written by a usually mediocre author, maybe? I thought I made this perfectly clear in my first post.

Stephen King is definitely not mediocre, he may be a bit wordy at times, and almost pedantically detailed where it doesn't seem to fit, but if he has some stunning books you can't really call him a mediocre writer.
                                He is a vastly overrated American author - I'd argue the most overrated writer I have ever seen. His wording is 'okay', his plots are good but more often than not, the executions are illogical. His beginnings are banging and promising, and his endings dwindle into either nonexistence or illogicalality. His best stuff was written when he was stoned.

King has written endless novels for the marketability effect, and doesn't take as much time as he should with his books. What does this mean? It means that quantity overrides quality, and that his work CAN be written much better if he puts more effect and thought into it. His recent work is insurmountably more exacerbating than anything he's ever done before, and I think he's running out of ideas... fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X