The Shining (1980)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shining (1980)

As a huge horror/thriller fan, I have never seen The Shining. Does that make me a bad person?

Originally posted by BLASTandROLL View Post
    As a huge horror/thriller fan, I have never seen The Shining. Does that make me a bad person?

No. But devoting a thread to this makes you a bad member.

*rips up membership card*

Comment

honestly no it does not make you a bad person. just make sure u get the original version.

Comment

Soon you will learn to not admit to such shortcomings.

Please watch it soon.

Comment

You are a horrible person and you've made Jesus weep.

No...just read the book.

Forward, not permanent, sweet, not lasting.

Comment

You Go To Hell And You Die!

Comment

No, the original Shining sucks terribly. How it ever made the status it did is beyond me.

Comment

I got an hour into The Shining and turned it off. I was so bored.

Comment

Originally posted by BLASTandROLL View Post
                  No, some people are just late bloomers. I didn't see several well known films until just recently myself. In fact, I still have never seen any of The Godfather or American Pie movies.

Comment

Originally posted by ValkyrieSpector View Post
                    No, the original Shining sucks terribly. How it ever made the status it did is beyond me.
                    I'm shocked the book was so big, it was a boring read.

Comment

This is werid I had a friend ask me if I thought he was werid because he didn't like it. Needless to say I comforted him with the best possible answer...yes, you are werid.

It's one of my all time favorites.

I honestly don't know how any horrorbuff can not like this movie.

Comment

Well... the book is great, but Kubrick's movie doesn't stay very faithful to it, therefore Stephen King hates it. The Mini-series does (moreso, anyway)... but it's the inferior film of the two. Ironic, really.
                        Last edited by mcilroga; 04-30-2007, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I'm not surprised Dobe doesn't like it, we don't agree on much. I for one love The Shining, it was rich with subtle nuance, dialog, the directing is haunting and terrific with a great ending. The story was amazing as well, the interactions with Nicholson and the Hotel staff is so surreal. I loved The Shining.
                          KITTYSAFE.NET
                          Facebook | Website
                          | For Mews, News, Reviews, Poetry, Music and Ideas |

Comment

Oh yeah. I remeber hearing about King disliking Kubricks version. Why though?

Comment

Originally posted by goose101 View Post
                              Oh yeah. I remeber hearing about King disliking Kubricks version. Why though?
                              Because it didn't stay faithful to his book... if you've read the book, you'll know how different it is than the film itself. It's still an excellent piece of cinema, but King felt it was trying to "fix" the mistakes in his book, so he hated it. There was a rumor floating around that King generally disliked Kubrick as a filmmaker in the first place... which in turn is understandable (even if he does make some excellent flicks). He's been hailed as an exhausting director to work with. In fact, Shelley Duvall had multiple breakdowns on the set of The Shining because he often called dozens of retakes. Hard, hard fucking man to please.
                              Last edited by mcilroga; 04-30-2007, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X