Shakma (1989)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shakma (1989)

I just preordered this on Amazon. I've been waiting forever for it to come out on DVD. Has anyone else seen it? Basically it's a killer baboon slasher flick. Lots of fun and surprisingly violent.
    I buy a lot of horror movies. Check out my collection!
    My DVDs

Just checked Hastings and the local Best Buy and no one has it. Damn, gonna have to order it online.

Comment

I received email from Amazon and it's been delayed a week. Hope it isn't canceled. I wanted to watch it for Halloween.
      I buy a lot of horror movies. Check out my collection!
      My DVDs

Comment

Wow, I think I saw this years ago on HBO. One of those movies you catch late at night and never remember the name of.

Comment

Starring two time National Association of Theater Owners Star of the Year Award recipient CHRISTOPHER ATKINS!
          [YOUTUBE]D2tnp4QCKtk[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

I don't remember much of it but I know this was pretty bad. And I like baboons.

Comment

I had no idea this was hitting DVD. I have an old VHS dub off of cable from years ago. Shakma was a running joke for the Live Action Role-Playing group I once was involved back in the 1990s, since the baboon in the film is attacking a group of live action gamers. I loved how TV guide would write Shakma up as "A game of Dungeons & Dragons goes horribly wrong". It makes it sound like the deaths are the fault of the game. The enraged baboon... natural predator of D&D nerds everywhere.

As an added bonus, the movie features Roddy McDowell. He added a touch of class to even the worst B-movie crap when he was still alive.

A definate guilty pleasure for gamers, killer animal movie fans, or fans of ridiculous movies.

Comment

It's been awhile, but I remember thinking this wasn't so bad (at least compared to the bulk of the crap that passed for mainstream horror in the late 80s). You had to wrap your head around the concept of a killer baboon. While baboons do look a bit silly, they are vicious fuckers. The cast was above average for this sort of thing. As someone already mentioned, Roddy McDowell adds a touch of class. And there are some familiar faces (well, at least to someone familiar with 80s tv and movies) in the young cast. I remember it having its intense and bloody moments, and was grimmer than I was expecting. The movie took itself 100% seriously, which may be considered both a plus and minus.

Comment

Originally posted by superfry View Post
                  [YOUTUBE]D2tnp4QCKtk[/YOUTUBE]
                  Classic!

I ordered this along with BLOOD MONKEY last year but am yet to watch the latter. Perhaps it'll hit the player this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Heathen View Post
                    Classic!

I ordered this along with BLOOD MONKEY last year but am yet to watch the latter. Perhaps it'll hit the player this week.
                    Ye make me proud son. I've never heard of this. Thanks for the bump up^^
                    There is no such thing as DEATH; it's just a trrransformation.
                    No hay fin para ti. No hay fin para mi.

------------------------------------------------

My old place in toronto had a bidet...I liked using it, cleaned the shit outta there + it felt good. Ever masturbate with a stream of water on your asshole? Feels great, try it sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by ReptilianPig View Post
                      Ye make me proud son. I've never heard of this. Thanks for the bump up^^
                      It's all thanks to your thread! A flood of mneumonic fragments are surging through my natural horror consciousness.

Comment

I bought a French version of this as at the time, last year, it was friggin expensive to buy anywhere else.

Thought this was a great lesser known 80s flick. Also for whatever reason have a soft spot for apes gone mad style movies. My favourites being this, Link and Monkey Shines..

Funny part about this movie was the baboon running around with a boner, surprised none of the female characters didn't end up with baboon jizz on them.

Comment

Yea its a kick ass little film! I could do with finding myself a copy

Comment

Working...
                          X