Pet Sematary (1989)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Sematary (1989)

Pet Semetary is one of the few movies that really scared me when I was younger.It's also one of my favorite books and one of the best movie adaptations.
    PS- I'm sorry if there's already a thread for this movie, but I searched and found nothing.

I've gotta agree, it is one of the most faithful adaptations of King's work. Also the first flick where the ending wasn't changed from book to movie. Good movie, great novel.
    I can't really sit through the movie or re-read the book anymore since I've had kids. Way to disturbing.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery.

Comment

Originally posted by PsykotikDelusion View Post
      I've gotta agree, it is one of the most faithful adaptations of King's work. Also the first flick where the ending wasn't changed from book to movie. Good movie, great novel.
      I can't really sit through the movie or re-read the book anymore since I've had kids. Way to disturbing.
      The end of this film still freaks me out. And I read the book before I saw the film and I knew it was coming too...
      Face it sucka, we're thieves and we're bad guys, that's exactly what we are!
      - Ken (Peter) Foree, Dawn of the Dead

Comment

i really really tried to like this movie, but it just doesn't click with me. its a great story and the crippled sister is really creepy. however i just don't likethis movie for some reason. 1999 or 2000 was probably the last time i watched it and my taste in movies has changed since then. maybe i'll give it another shot.

Comment

The movie is hit and miss with me. I like some parts (creepy kid, Zelda) and disliked other things (shoddy acting, stupid character decisions). It's a decent watch. There are many worse King adaptations out there.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPTAIN SPAULDING View Post
            PS- I'm sorry if there's already a thread for this movie, but I searched and found nothing.
            The link from the big Horror Movie Reference List is dead, so looks like time for a new thread

A solid movie that could've been great if maybe there was a little more talent behind the camera (surely there could've been a better director than someone whose peak artistic acheivements were Madonna videos). Even so, I was surprised at how good the movie was when I caught it on video. On the one hand, PS would seem to be one of the easier King books to adapt given it's relative shortness and linear plot. But making Gage believable was tough - it would be so easy to have a murderous toddler seem silly rather than scary. And keeping the downbeat twist of the original took some balls.

If I'm reading imdb correctly, PS looks to be the first King adaptation than King himself has sole screenwriting credit for. In fact, it looks to be the ONLY King novel that King adapted for the big screen (not counting his made-for-tv work). That can't be right, can it?

Comment

Zelda was played by a man because they couldnt find a skinny enough lady.

Freaky flick, still love it.

Is he going to lose both bones?

Comment

Originally posted by ZantiMisfit View Post
                A solid movie that could've been great if maybe there was a little more talent behind the camera (surely there could've been a better director than someone whose peak artistic acheivements were Madonna videos). Even so, I was surprised at how good the movie was when I caught it on video. On the one hand, PS would seem to be one of the easier King books to adapt given it's relative shortness and linear plot. But making Gage believable was tough - it would be so easy to have a murderous toddler seem silly rather than scary. And keeping the downbeat twist of the original took some balls.
                My sentiments exactly.

Rather blandly directed, power of the source material gives it enough strength to overcome the Lambert's workman-like direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Klown View Post
                  The movie is hit and miss with me. I like some parts (creepy kid, Zelda) and disliked other things (shoddy acting, stupid character decisions). It's a decent watch. There are many worse King adaptations out there.
                  I didn't like some of the acting either but Fred Guynne (spelling?) was perfect as Jud Crandall.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPTAIN SPAULDING View Post
                    I didn't like some of the acting either but Fred Guynne (spelling?) was perfect as Jud Crandall.
                    Absolutely. He was perfectly cast and did fantastic job. As for the rest of the cast, well.....

Comment

The movie scared me when I was a child. The book was better.
                      What Matters Most Is How Well You Walk Through The Fire.

Comment

I watched this last night for the first time in years and it was a LOT goofier than I remember it being...it's still a cool watch every now and then though I guess

http://ashecorvn.dvdaf.com/

Comment

This is w/ out a Doubt My Favorite Stephen King Film of all !!!

Comment

In my opinion the best SK adaptation. Also my favourite King book.
                            'When people ask me if I went to film school, I say, "No, I went to films." - Quentin Tarantino

Comment

Originally posted by redblooded1379 View Post
                              This is w/ out a Doubt My Favorite Stephen King Film of all !!!
                              Pet Semetary is in my top three favorite Stephen King adaptations, right behind Stand By Me and The Mist.

Comment

Working...
                              X