No announcement yet.

"The Wicker Man" (1973)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is truly genius in film. Just out of interest, has anyone got any comments to make on the re-do? I haven't seen it because I get the impression it will make me very cross, but if is watchable I might give it a go for comparison.
    'Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity....and I'm not so sure about the universe.' Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by system-static View Post
      Just out of interest, has anyone got any comments to make on the re-do? I haven't seen it because I get the impression it will make me very cross, but if is watchable I might give it a go for comparison.
      Dude, don't waste you're time on that bollocks, it's one of the worst remakes to come down the pipe. While the original had great commentary on religions and on the idea of looking down your nose at others beliefs and traditions, this has no commentary what so ever and just goes through the motions. It will just piss you off in so many ways so it's best to just not bother.

As far as the original goes I feel it is a one off achievement in film making and for the most part really isn't a horror film in the traditional sense, even the director says as much in the commentary, it's more of a suspense/detective story with some amazing social commentary and great production work all around. If anyone on the board hasn't seen the original yet I highly recommend checking it out.
      "Don''t try to talk like you're one of them you're not......even if you'd like to be" - Heath Ledger Dark Knight

Comment

One of the best.

Comment

I don't want to offend fans, but film is not good.
          Movie good for it's time, but it's remake is better in some spheres.
          Main character as Nicolas Cage is more expressiveness and film more mystic.
          Robert Hardy's "Wicker man" can be categorized as comedy-horror.
          But in it was one element what attract me - community of island is not complete female. 6/10
          Last edited by MaraZZmatiK; 10-29-2008, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I finally saw this one a couple weeks ago and loved it. I was utterly creeped out by the island cult and how they all accepted their religion without questioning it. It was very eye opening for me and very effective. Great movie.

Comment

I love the flick.Its all about the atmosphere of constant dread,for me.Every scene feels heavy with the potential for evildoing.There seems so much menace in the faces and deeds of the villagers.I cant help but get caught up in every twist and turn.
              Hate The Living,Love the Dead.

sigpic

Comment

Showed this to some friends last night. Such a great tone.

Comment

Yeah I showed this to a couple buddies my first time watching it and I was embarassed... this movie sucks balls

Comment

Originally posted by LookMeInTheEyes View Post
                    Yeah I showed this to a couple buddies my first time watching it and I was embarassed... this movie sucks balls
                    I'm just going to assume you're referring to the remake and are probably not even aware of the original. Because how anyone could say the original Wicker Man sucks balls is beyond me. That's like saying Psycho sucked, or Jaws. Blasphemy.

Comment

Originally posted by xfearbefore View Post
                      I'm just going to assume you're referring to the remake and are probably not even aware of the original. Because how anyone could say the original Wicker Man sucks balls is beyond me. That's like saying Psycho sucked, or Jaws. Blasphemy.
                      True, the Remake was god awful, but the original is a true Cult Classic and a great movie.

Comment

Yeah I saw this on like cinamax one time with friends. It was kinda quiet while watching. Nobody had any comment after. We kinda just were like um… oh… ok… and put in some Nightmare on Elm Street. (kinda pretended it never happened.) and that’s not saying I didn’t like it.
                        ------------------------------------
                        ------------------------------------

SCRE4M

Comment

This is, without a doubt, my favorite film of all time. The first time I ever saw it, I just sat there in silence for like 5 minutes. It blew my mind. And then I bought the edition with the original, director's cut, and was even more amazed. If there is one film I tell everyone they need to watch, it's this one, even though most people I've made watch it thought it was "really weird." *sigh*
                          "And as things fell apart, nobody paid much attention."-The Talking Heads

Comment

It's a great flick. It's also not for fans that can't watch a horror movie without a masked killer running around in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Chase View Post
                              True, the Remake was god awful, but the original is a true Cult Classic and a great movie.
                              I didn't mind it. It could've been a hell of a lot more worse. I guess ppl flame it due to Nicholas Cage being the movie. I for one don't mind his acting but had this part been given to someone a bit more suited to the role then the movie prob would've gotten a 5/10 instead of a 4/10.

Comment

Originally posted by HORRORFAN4LIFE View Post
                                Yeah I saw this on like cinamax one time with friends. It was kinda quiet while watching. Nobody had any comment after. We kinda just were like um… oh… ok… and put in some Nightmare on Elm Street. (kinda pretended it never happened.) and that’s not saying I didn’t like it.
                                You have a Devil Wears Prada signature, and are insinuating that Nightmare on Elm Street is somehow a better film that The Wicker Man... Pretty sure that just about makes your opinion null and void.

Comment

Working...
                                X