Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Wicker Man" (1973)

The Wicker Man (1973) discussion.
    Last edited by Realm of Horror Comics; 06-12-2011, 04:21 PM. Reason: Because!

i like it a lot. lots of people don't like for the frequent bursts into song, or the general slowness, but i think it adds to the atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by tibber View Post
      i like it a lot. lots of people don't like for the frequent bursts into song, or the general slowness, but i think it adds to the atmosphere.
      Agreed!
      Last edited by Realm of Horror Comics; 06-12-2011, 04:21 PM.

Comment

very awkward movie
        sigpic -Psycho Rob

My Dvd Collection:
        http://rlmullen21.dvdaf.com/owned
        Recently Watched Movies:
        Dawn Of The Dead (Orig.) 8/10
        Day Of The Dead (Orig.) 8/10
        A Nightmare On Elm Street (Orig.)10/10

http://rlmullen21.dvdaf.com/owned
        +8 Trader

I've reported you. You're going down.

Comment

I like it, but unfortunately I've only seen the 88 minute version. One of these days I'll pick up the extended cut.

Movies recently seen:

The Boneyard- 6/10
          Clash of the Titans '10- 8/10
          The Exorcist- 10/10
          Wrath of the Titans- 7/10
          Zombie- 8/10

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherofTears View Post
            I like it, but unfortunately I've only seen the 88 minute version. One of these days I'll pick up the extended cut.
            Both are excellent, but I've always preferred the shorter original theatrical cut.

Comment

Originally posted by PINHEADMANIAC View Post
              very awkward movie
              Could you elaborate on that? I'd be interested to hear why you feel that way.
              Last edited by Realm of Horror Comics; 06-12-2011, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Such a great film - the characters, acting, locations, costume, direction, the bawdy and suggestive songs, the totally unique and authentic folk soundtrack (which fits the film like a glove, I must say!), the sexuality (let us not forget Britt Ekland's lovely jugs! ), the religious tension sub-text - all superb. It's the most unconventional horror film ever, IMO. The sense of dread and unease throughout is brilliant - Robin Hardy did such a good job, and Edward Woodward steals the show as the baffled and disgusted Sgt. Howie.
                I first saw this not too long ago and loved it. I pretty much agree with everything you said. It has such a weird and peculiar atmosphere that totally draws you in and makes you want to learn more about those crazy ass Pagans. Excellent ending as well. Very disturbing movie overall, even though it feels so light-hearted.

Comment

One of my favourite movies as well, although I've only seen the Theatrical version... I have the extended cut, but I've been saving it...

Finally got a hold of the Anchor Bay woodbox on Ebay some weeks ago
                  My DVD List:
                  http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?id=methor
                  PM for a trade!

Comment

I bought the 2 disc Region 2 DVD of this film for 50p ($1) and sat down and watched it. As I was watching it I wasn't 100% sure, I was getting very restless, finding the pacing slow, but as things started to peak towards the end I found myself engrossed. The atmosphere is created brilliantly, atmosphere of dread, the viewer feels like the outsider, it's all so alien, very unsettling. Then comes the ending, so disturbing and an image that stays with you after the film is over. The performances are great and the atmosphere was created perfectly. Good film!

Comment

I really enjoyed the film. I am a big Christopher Lee fan and thought his performance was truely great. I still have yet to see the remake and have no desire to. Nothing can compare to the original as far as I am concerned.

Comment

I have this sitting on my entertainment center might give it a watch once I get through some more stuff on my DVR.

Comment

The Wicker Man is one of the all-time classics. The ending is just awesome and it helped that I never looked at the cover closely before I bought it it (or more accurately, never saw it big enough to make it out), so the ending was a shock to me. I loved Lee's sureness in what he's doing, especially when things may fall on his shoulders.
                          Oh, the Horror! Reviews - Check out our ever-growing vault of horror DVD, VHS, theatrical films and more!

Comment

I saw the original cut about a year ago and thought it was a waste of time and money. It really is one of the biggest disappointments ever, especially since I have heard so much good things about it prior.

My DVD's

Comment

This is a masterpiece of a film. Christopher Lee manages to be chilling and terrifying whilst wearing a long black wig and prancing about like what would in any other context be a lunatic.
                              You can't drown, you're Immortal!

HorrorMovieFans.com -for the discerning horror fan

Comment

Working...
                              X