No announcement yet.

The Entity (1981)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great underrated horror and with an outstanding performance from Barbara Hershey thoroughly convincing in her part.

Comment

one of the best horror movies. so dramatic and terrifying.

Comment

By the sounds of the posts here im really gonna have to check this film out
        Hail The Prince Of Saiyans

Comment

"The Entity".....This is such a harrowing and thrilling classic from the early 80's. Featuring a pounding and scary music score, shocking and horrifying scenes(bathroom rape and the full nude on the bed rape scene), nicely done special effects, and a top notch performance by the wonderful Barbara Hershey. Ron Silver is very poor in his role as the doctor. The guy "read" his lines. No emotion and no feeling in the way he portrayed the character. Hershey's dramatic,thrilling, and touching performance drives this movie, and she is worthy of an Oscar nomination. The Entity is chilling and is a solid piece of horror film history!!

8/10

Comment

Just rewatched this alongside The Exorcist... It holds up well on it's own as a classic.

Comment

I watched some of this years ago, but whole paranormal rape thing was totally disturbing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
                ...Ron Silver is very poor in his role as the doctor. The guy "read" his lines. No emotion and no feeling in the way he portrayed the character...
                What???

He's playing a clinical psychologist/psychiatrist, resolved in his strictly intellectual view of his patient's problems, unable to frame her experiences outside the box he's been trained to see things in while conflicted over his own taboo feelings of attraction for her.

He does these kinds of roles, the intellectually detached, narcissistic, sometimes sociopathic, professional man, very well.
                Me @ IMDB :::
                Me @ facebook.com :: Sick Boy @ youtube.com

Comment

I have to say the invisible rape scene was surprisingly well done.

She isn't a scream queen for nothing, right?

Comment

Originally posted by BurnetRhoades View Post
                    What???

He's playing a clinical psychologist/psychiatrist, resolved in his strictly intellectual view of his patient's problems, unable to frame her experiences outside the box he's been trained to see things in while conflicted over his own taboo feelings of attraction for her.

He does these kinds of roles, the intellectually detached, narcissistic, sometimes sociopathic, professional man, very well.
                    I agree with all this. Silver played the exact same role in Silent Fury and a few others as well, to the point where I think he was a go-to character actor of this type in the 80's. He does a damn fine job in my estimation.

Comment

Originally posted by pixie06 View Post
                      I watched some of this years ago, but whole paranormal rape thing was totally disturbing to me.
                      I thought that untamed bush was pretty disturbing.
                      Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 01-13-2012, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Coffee View Post
                        I agree with all this. Silver played the exact same role in Silent Fury and a few others as well, to the point where I think he was a go-to character actor of this type in the 80's. He does a damn fine job in my estimation.
                        That's the movie I was trying to think of! Yeah. He has this quality about him in these two movies in particular where I just wanna tell him,"look, I know you mean well, in your way, but you really are an asshole."

Something about his speech is also really good for technical, medical jargon. All the consonants maybe, the way they play off the resonance in his nose and the clicking of his teeth.

I'm not good with placing accents but something about the Northeastern feel of the way he talks gives his words extra credibility. I hear education and culture in a way few actors come across anymore. Christopher Plummer is another that comes to mind, regardless of what sort of accent he's affecting for a particular role.

Comment

That's the movie I was trying to think of! Yeah. He has this quality about him in these two movies in particular where I just wanna tell him,"look, I know you mean well, in your way, but you really are an asshole."

Something about his speech is also really good for technical, medical jargon. All the consonants maybe, the way they play off the resonance in his nose and the clicking of his teeth.

I'm not good with placing accents but something about the Northeastern feel of the way he talks gives his words extra credibility. I hear education and culture in a way few actors come across anymore. Christopher Plummer is another that comes to mind, regardless of what sort of accent he's affecting for a particular role.
                          Absolutely. The same way well spoken English actors like Anthony Hopkins can exude the impression of learnedness through over-accentuation of every syllable and letter, he seems to imbue his monologues with an air of impatient arrogance that give his characters the organic feeling of professionalism. Few actors can offer this quality in their work.

Christopher Lee used to manage this consistently, but he used it to craft himself hundreds of dickish villain roles (which I respect greatly). It's too bad Silver never really got his recognition.

Comment

What???

He was just "alright" for me. Didnt care too much about his performance.

Comment

Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
                              He was just "alright" for me. Didnt care too much about his performance.
                              For me, that's his strength, that you don't really see him "perform". Ron Silver just is. There's no wink-and-a-nudge, handshake agreement between thespian and audience.

He's certainly limited in what I can see him doing though, and don't know that I'd ever buy a purely sympathetic or heroic role for him. Some actors just aren't meant to play likable people.

Comment

anyone have the bluray? how is the transfer?

Comment

Working...
                                X