THE COMPANY OF WOLVES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE COMPANY OF WOLVES

If you like your Horror Films beautifully-done with deep meaning, check out this great 80s film directed by NEIL JORDAN director of INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE.
    It's a witty, intellegent, sexy werewolf anthology with bits of LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD thrown it.
    Production values and special effects are top-notch.
    Pretty gory,too!

I've always wanted to see this. Love the guys other horror film.

Comment

I saw this at a young age and it freaked me out. An interesting movie, but the story by Angela Carter was pretty intense.
      I totally recommend a book that contains this I read at A Level for school called "The Bloody Chamber" which has many short stories that are an advocate for modernised goth horror writing.

Comment

I too saw this film at a very young age. My father put it on one night when I must've been maybe 8 years old, and it took me years and years and years to find out what movie it was. I always remembered how badly this movie freaked me out as a kid, especially the dinner party scene (you know what I'm talking about those who've seen it).

Track it down and buy it people, it's definately one of the most creative films I've ever seen, in any genre.

Comment

Yuck. This was a bad movie. Boring, weird.

I saw the DVD at HMV, $31.99, way over priced. Eventually the DVD crumbled down to $3.99, and then I bought it. Worth the price maybe. Or less.
          Puppet Master is Toyland Chairman
          They want to play with you...
          http://www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/index.htm

Comment

Company of Wolves is great! It's a bizarre and surreal psychoanalytic playground of gender and burgeoning sexuality. I love Granny's (Angela Lansbury) lines: ''Never stray from the path, never eat a windfall apple and never trust a man whose eyebrows meet'' and ''The worst kind of wolf is hairy on the inside.'' The set design and special effects are very creative but also really theatrical, so it's understandable that one's first impression would be "this is totally cheesy." Watch it again, though! Lots of blatant symbolism, faithful to the Grimm fairytale. I found it much more spooky and awesome the second time around.

I used to stare at the VHS box in the video store when I was little and get so freaked out. The wolf basically bursts through the guy's skin in lieu of the classic lycanthropic metamorphosis we're all used to.

Comment

I love this movie. Based on Angela Carter's short story. It is the "Legend" of horror movies, although "Pumpkinhead" and "Bram Stoker's Dracula" could also have that title in terms of being atmospheric.

Comment

I'm a big fan of this movie. Neil Jordan is one my favorite directors. In The Company Of Wolves and The Butcher Boy are two of my favorites.

Comment

IMO an underrated horror film of the 80s, with a fine cast, eerie score and sets and the makeup is jawdropping. the film is based on short stories.

Comment

Originally posted by caroleledoux View Post
                    That rocks. Okay, now I have to see this movie.

Comment

Ha! That cover used to trip me out so hard everytime I was lurking around the horror section at the video store as a kid. I always thought "now that's a movie I could never watch!!"

Comment

I've seen this film and it was pretty out there, I like when Neil Jordan cast Stephen Rea in his films.

Comment

i love this movie too, and i have memories of being a kid in the 80s and wanting to see this film but frightened of it at the same time. i did see it at a young age though and was a fan ever since, but then my fave movie of all time is American Werewolf in London.

i even used this movie as a reference on a paper i did in college which dealt with fairy tales.
                          "The last remaining werewolf must be destroyed...its you, David."

Comment

I just finished watching it. All trite allegory and conventional symbolism aside, it was ho-hum. It is to horror what LEGEND is to fantasy: pretty but insubstantial. And the use of real wolves in werewolf flicks never ceases to annoy me.

Comment

Wonderful movie. Probably the best werewolf transformation outside An American Werewolf in London.

Comment

Working...
                              X