Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue (1974) AKA (Let Sleeping Corpses Lie)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loved this film. Easily in my top ten list of favorite zombie films.

Comment

this is a very good movie in my opinion some cool gore effects, although it is very cheesy lol, i got my copy at a local store called Newbury Comics they have tons of great horror movies that aren't available anywhere else, check out the website you may be able to order from them
      "What Are You Gonna Do With Those Pies Boys?"

Comment

This film is dripping with atmosphere . It pulls you in from the opening in an antique shop in London .

The credit sequence is haunting and sets the unnerving tone for the film perfectly .

Then it becomes a bit too obvious with it's montage of big city pollutants being spewed into the atmosphere as our hero rides through London on his way to the countryside , around Manchester i think . I see this as foreshadowing and a bit of social commentary . It's a terrific and effective time capsule of the early 70s denizens of that great city .

Once he gets to the countryside ( he hitches a ride with a woman who backed up into his motorbike at a petrol station ) , the story really starts to take shape .

The beautiful English countryside has never looked so gorgeous , haunting , imposing , mysterious and unsettling . Props to the cinematographer , he captured the landscape effectively and utilized the environment in expert fashion .

Forget Masterpiece Theater or those kiddie films that show the Midlands as some welcoming playland of nature , this parcel of land is terrifying , a constant sense of dread hangs over the proceedings , the fear and apprehension is palpable . Beautiful but deadly ?

The set design is also highly effective , wait until you see the sequence in the mausoleum , you know Fulci took numerous cues from this film . The finale in the hospital , exciting and brutal as all hell , another sequence Fulci lifted .

Everything about this classic of the zom genre works , from the makeup fx to the gore , to the music to the acting and aforementioned cinematography .

It's genuinely frightening with an intense sense of nihilism .

It comes highly recommended , my highest recommendation , if you like zom films or horror in general this is a must see .

Can't wait for the blu ray , should look fantastic

Comment

^^
          100% co-signed!

I'm also eagerly awaiting the blu-ray, though Blue Underground has been sort of hit and miss with their HD content so far.

Comment

Originally posted by xXFacelessXx View Post
            I want to own it. Add it to my collection.
            Most internet stores will have it

*Updated 3/11 w/ FEMALE TEACHER IN FRONT OF THE STUDENTS disc review

My DVDAF - http://sethflc.dvdaf.com/

Gold Trader +91

Comment

I haven't seen any of their BR content yet , but i imagine , much like Ab , it takes time to perfect the new technology , so some of these early titles will be subpar in comparison to their later efforts .

I remember how bad Ab mucked up Zombie ( even if the soundtrack was great ) , the image was all washed out and pixelated . That was one of their first horror dvd offerings back in 99 , then they improved gradually .

I don't expect perfection right now , it will simply be nice to have this film on a next gen format for now . It should still look and sound as good as it ever did on dvd .

I'm not so sure the soundtrack will benefit much , there was never that much audio ambience in the surrounds , but i'm hoping they can put together a somewhat enveloping soundfield ,a subtle one , this film has plenty of moments where audio cues play a part

Comment

Certainly thi movie is on my list of 10 best zombie movies ever made.
                Atmosphere is great and zombies too...
                "That's the problem with drinking, I thought, as I poured myself a drink. If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen."
                Charles Bukowski (Women: A Novel) —

Comment

One of my fave zombie movies. Very beautifully photographed and some terrific gore.

Comment

The Soundtrack is amazing - spooky and atmospheric, i love the CD.
                    Arkham Drive-In - The Home of Lovecraftian Film Trailers

Comment

Usually I'm not a big fan of old movies but I thought this was really good with creepy zombies , surprisingly convincing (for 1974) gore effects & make-up, and interesting story. I like how they provided explanation for why the dead are coming back to life (in contrast to Romero films).

Comment

ive not seen this is it any good????

Comment

The 1st zombie movie I ever watched & got me hooked on them from an early age!
                          AAARGH...HES GOT AN ARM OFF!!

Comment

This is the only zombie movie besides The Horde that actually has my interest. I'm sure there is a few others in there but I still need to find this movie! Anyone know where I could find both the Horde and LDMCM?

Twitter
                            Facebook
                            Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by xXFacelessXx View Post
                              This is the only zombie movie besides The Horde that actually has my interest. I'm sure there is a few others in there but I still need to find this movie! Anyone know where I could find both the Horde and LDMCM?
                              I can send you a copy of The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue (1974)
                              KITTYSAFE.NET
                              Facebook | Website
                              | For Mews, News, Reviews, Poetry, Music and Ideas |

Comment

I did end up finding it! I plan on watching it for Halloween! MUAHAHAHA!

Twitter
                                Facebook
                                Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                                X