No announcement yet.

The Brood (1979)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow...I think this is David Cronenberg's darkest movie of his career. Samantha Eggar delivered a top notch performance as the mother who spawns these deformed kids from the "rage" she has pent up inside. The people her character is mad at...get killed off by these creepy looking little monsters.A great late 70's masterpiece movie and an awesome entry into the horror genre. The handsome Oliver Reed and suave Art Hindle also star. Reed delivers a fine performance..while Hindle is a little wooden and campy.

B

Comment

I think this thread deserves to be brought up again. I also think I will watch it tonight or tomorrow for the Halloween spirit.

Comment

those ugly freaky little basterds in the movie freaked me out when I was younger. still a high rated horror movie and one of the best.

Comment

The Brood has one of the most bizarre and original ideas in all modern horror. Superb movie.
          Cronenberg was in the middle of a nasty divorce and bitter custody battle over the kids when he wrote the script, i remember he once said in an interview "I really did want to strangle my ex wife". And he was serious too!

Comment

Originally posted by RomeroCarpenter Fan View Post
            those ugly freaky little basterds in the movie freaked me out when I was younger. still a high rated horror movie and one of the best.
            I first saw this one on HBO in the very early 80's and watched it a bunch of times.I picked up the dvd a few months ago and watched it after not seeing it for years-still holds up!
            sigpic
            Dr.Loomis:"Does anybody live here?"
            Sheriff Brackett:"No,not since 1963 when it happened-every kid in Haddonfield thinks this place is haunted."
            Dr.Loomis:"THEY MAY BE RIGHT."

Comment

"The Brood"....I think this is David Cronenberg's darkest movie of his career. Samantha Eggar delivered a top notch performance as the mother who spawns these deformed kids from the "rage" she has pent up inside. The people her character is mad at...get killed off by these creepy looking little monsters. A great late 70's masterpiece movie and an awesome entry into the horror genre. The handsome Oliver Reed and suave and sexy Art Hindle also star. Reed delivers a fine performance..while Hindle is a little wooden and campy at times. But he is better than he was in Black Christmas and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. I rank The Brood as one of my Top 10 Best Horror Movies ever. Loved the chilling finale as Frank tries to outsmart his wife and is shocked to see what Nola is hiding under her robe. Yuck!! All leading up to a few gruesome confrontations with the main characters. This movie is a tremendous entry into the horror genre.

8.5/10

Comment

Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
                "The Brood"....I think this is David Cronenberg's darkest movie of his career. Samantha Eggar delivered a top notch performance as the mother who spawns these deformed kids from the "rage" she has pent up inside. The people her character is mad at...get killed off by these creepy looking little monsters. A great late 70's masterpiece movie and an awesome entry into the horror genre. The handsome Oliver Reed and suave and sexy Art Hindle also star. Reed delivers a fine performance..while Hindle is a little wooden and campy at times. But he is better than he was in Black Christmas and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. I rank The Brood as one of my Top 10 Best Horror Movies ever. Loved the chilling finale as Frank tries to outsmart his wife and is shocked to see what Nola is hiding under her robe. Yuck!! All leading up to a few gruesome confrontations with the main characters. This movie is a tremendous entry into the horror genre.

8.5/10
                On its original release in the UK, some of the ending was censored. Eggar licks one of her furious little humanoids to life, but with the cuts it actually looked like she was eating the child! That's censorship for ya, rarely makes things better, often makes things worse... Eggar has also said that The Brood is the most vile and disgusting film she'd ever worked on. High praise!

Comment

Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post

8.5/10
                  great movie that actually delivered some solid scary scenes.

Comment

I really liked this movie, saw it for the first time last year on friday the 13th. Every year there is a 12 hour movie marathon at this theater. The movie started kinda slow so I didnt know what to expect. Once it picked up it turned out great. Some real disturbing stuff in this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord View Post
                      I really liked this movie, saw it for the first time last year on friday the 13th. Every year there is a 12 hour movie marathon at this theater. The movie started kinda slow so I didnt know what to expect. Once it picked up it turned out great. Some real disturbing stuff in this one.
                      One of Cronenberg's absolute best!!

Comment

I really need to rewatch this movie. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. This was one of the few films that really disturbed me when I was young.

Comment

The Brood is a must-see classic.
                          one of Cronenberg's greatest films!
                          Those little blonde girls bundled up in coats still unnerve me
                          and that kindergarten classroom scene watch thisand ignore the noise coming from your kitchen

Comment

"The Brood"....I think this is David Cronenberg's darkest movie of his career. Samantha Eggar delivered a top notch performance as the mother(Nola) who spawns these deformed kids from the "rage" she has pent up inside. The people her character gets mad at...get killed off by these creepy looking little monsters. A great late 70's masterpiece and an awesome entry into the horror genre. The handsome Oliver Reed and suave and sexy Art Hindle also star. Reed delivers a fine performance..while Hindle is a little wooden and campy at times. But he is better than he was in Black Christmas and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. I rank The Brood as one of my Top 10 Best Horror Movies. Loved the chilling finale as Frank tries to outsmart his wife and is shocked to see what "Nola" is hiding under her robe. Yuck!! All leading up to a few gruesome and suspenseful confrontations with the main characters. A shocking and truly fantastic thriller!!

9/10

Comment

I love the Brood. It's textbook proof that any subject, no matter how silly or ridiculous, can make for a compelling film if executed properly. Cronenberg is a mad genius.

A video review show dedicated to horror cinema.

Latest BSC episode (2/22/12):
                              The Gingerdead Man
                              Latest BSA episode (3/21/12): The Birds vs. The Birds!
                              Latest Vlog (3/27/12): The Hunger Games

Comment

saw the brood for the first time last week having been a fan of david cronenberg for a while
                                very weird film does take some time to get going but is very rewarding in the end i liked it alot

Comment

Working...
                                X