Maniac (1980)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hilti De-walt
    Isnt a slasher movie about serial killers, didnt know there was a difference. Since you say there is maybe you could give me examples maybe 2 or 3 movies under each category?
    ok..
    Slasher: Halloween, Sleepaway Camp and the Prowler

Serial Killer: Seven, the Bone collector and Saw

...many times serial killer movies has slasher elements and the other way around....and there are some "borderline" movies which is hard to decide...

Comment

Originally posted by slasherman
      ok..
      Slasher: Halloween, Sleepaway Camp and the Prowler

Serial Killer: Seven, the Bone collector and Saw

...many times serial killer movies has slasher elements and the other way around....and there are some "borderline" movies which is hard to decide...
      Alright , like I said b4 we all have opinions while I dont see a difference between the 2 I could understand your point and it does make sense.

Comment

Maniac is one of my favorite movies ever, that movie epitomizes sleaze and grime, so much to the point it comes out of the television

Comment

Originally posted by CHAMPION
          Maniac is one of my favorite movies ever, that movie epitomizes sleaze and grime, so much to the point it comes out of the television
          Yeah no denying that scene where the Maniac blew poor Tom Savini's head right off his shoulders with a 12 gauge. Talk about your Excedrin headaches..
          "You wish to find Jerusalem, my son?
          You go to the place where the men speak Italian, and take the boat until you come to the place where the men speak something different."

Comment

I dont get it you give it 5/5 stars then say you CONSIDER getting it?????? Dont make sense to me.

That is by far the best slasher flick to ever be made IMO. Extremely graffic, violent, Brutal, gory and twisted with Joe Spinnel playing a great psycho, it by far is one of my top 5 favorite horror films. I remeber see'ing it when I was like 7years old couldnt remeber the name and then ran into some kid who was a huge horror fan and I asked him he told me the name and when on the mission to find it. I have had it for 2 years and watch it probablyonce a month.

Anyway this movie was not directed by Zitto the director is William Lustig. Maniac 1980.
            I don't collect movies on dvd. I have very few. I collect cds, music dvds, and sports dvds.

Comment

The only good thing about this film was Joe Spinell. Without him there is no movie. The story was weak, the direction was stiff, and the acting was at times very bad, but it was Joe that made it watchable. And those "effects' were cheesy.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ_01976
                And those "effects' were cheesy.
                Your fucking kidding me, they were amazing.. the head explosion ranks with the best right under scanners..

As for the story, it's your typical 80's slasher movie.. the story was par for the course.. and stiff direction nah.. it's directed with more of a clinical feel. Which only makes it more disturbing and adds to the film ten fold.
                Last edited by Count Dragula; 11-28-2005, 12:25 PM.
                Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

damn dragula i gotta love that "the brood" avatar its so fucking sick!
                  http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...id=cluntdike10

Comment

Originally posted by Spookshow
                    Holy fuck was this movie BRUTAL! I've never see such good gore in a film before. Savini should have won an academy award for his work. The film had everything I like... violence, gore, tits, and brutality.

I rank this one a 5/5 and I'm considering getting the dvd. It was funny seeing Gazzo from Rocky in a lead role. He fit it perfectly.
                    I have to agree with this. I watched it for the first time about 2 months ago. Loved it. Had a disturbing storyline to it. It is now my second favorite horror film behind the original TCM.
                    Horror Fans wanted at:

http://jaysif.proboards23.com/index.cgi

Comment

I thought it was ok. Id give it 3/5. I tohught that the story wasnt too original, but what is anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by outlaw_sinema
                        I tohught that the story wasnt too original, but what is anymore?
                        Well it was made like 25 years ago.. You make it sound as if it just came out last year, and made you yearn for the movies of your youth. All of what, four years ago?
                        Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

Originally posted by outlaw_sinema
                          I thought it was ok. Id give it 3/5. I tohught that the story wasnt too original, but what is anymore?
                          wasn't too original? what movie was like it at the time? Most slasher films werent first person POV with that of the killer. Here, Frank Zito is the main charecter. He's emotional, disturbed and unsettling... what William Lustig does is brings us directly into that disturbed world. He killed his victims to combat the abuse he had a child, and scalped them to place their hair and clothing on manniquins... how the hell is that not original?? haha I absolutely love this movie... its a gem of its own that wasnt scorned by unessesary sequels... its a diamond in the rough when compared to the generic formula of slasher films in the 80's decade.
                          www.geocities.com/slasherindex for rare out of print 80's horror on professional DVDs!

Comment

I saw MANIAC about a week ago (SPOILERS)

and I didn't like it. There were a few cool scenes--the scene where the killer shoots the guy through the windshield was good--but overall I'd personally give it a 3 or 4 out of 10. The acting sucked; the storyline sucked; the score sucked; and all of those shots with the killer in his roomful of mannequins and talking to himself (or "Mommy") got old fast. The ending was totally illogical. The cops walk in, take a cursory look, and walk out; then the killer opens his eyes...?

Sorry. This one did nothing for me, personally.
                            You see, in this world, there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. (Blondie in THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY)

Comment

Alright , like I said b4 we all have opinions while I dont see a difference between the 2 I could understand your point and it does make sense.
                              he is right, you have movies that focus on how many people the person can kill in an hour and a half (ie, slasher) and you have a movie that focuses on the killer more and their motivation behind the killings, they kill less but you know why they kill (ie, serial killer films). I see the difference perfectly.

I also see why people wonder what this fits into. I would personally put it in a serial killer catagory, sure he kills a lot of women but its not mindless killing, the movie focuses on his thoughts, his drives, and his desire to stop as he does know its wrong. The ending also displays exactly how fragile his mind is, something you dont find in a slasher film.

Its not a fantastic film, but it is a film every horror/slasher fan should see. Its dirty, and its the killers intentions that makes it dirty but that also gives it more substance than your everyday slasher. Its well done, I recommend it.
                              A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sav's My Space

Comment

I've wanted to see this for a while and i bought it a few days back, still havent watched it though. I find it kind of funny that i buy it and then find a thread on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X