No announcement yet.

Maniac (1980)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maniac is without a doubt one of my favorite horror films. I can't say enough good things about this movie but I can also understand and appreciate why alot of younger fans may not see the inherent beauty in this friggin masterpiece.

Comment

I want to find a download of the song that plays with the models,so cheesy and awesome "Going To A Showdownnnnnnn".

The movie was really tight,nothing amazing or great at all,but its good times and is solid..gotta love the shotgun death scene.

Spinell puts on an AMAZING performance I think. He was totally friggin' creepy.

"Its just that...that...that they say these things".

Comment

Joe Spinell REALLY carries that 'gross disgusting slob New Yorker in the late 70's early 80's' look. Probably the most believable character in horror history. I was surprised to find out that Spinell is not only a decent actor, but a decent writer and person as well.

Maniac also sports the greatest head explosion of all time. Savini outdid himself with this film in comparison to DOTD with their head explosion.

2 severed thumbs up!
        What lives that does not live from the death of someone else?

I'll be in hell for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Savieri
          he is right, you have movies that focus on how many people the person can kill in an hour and a half (ie, slasher) and you have a movie that focuses on the killer more and their motivation behind the killings, they kill less but you know why they kill (ie, serial killer films). I see the difference perfectly.

I also see why people wonder what this fits into. I would personally put it in a serial killer catagory, sure he kills a lot of women but its not mindless killing, the movie focuses on his thoughts, his drives, and his desire to stop as he does know its wrong. The ending also displays exactly how fragile his mind is, something you dont find in a slasher film.

Its not a fantastic film, but it is a film every horror/slasher fan should see. Its dirty, and its the killers intentions that makes it dirty but that also gives it more substance than your everyday slasher. Its well done, I recommend it.
          ..nice said....I go for serial killer too

Comment

I personally think it's a great, innovative, gritty, worthwhile movie, with some killer violence, and a decent enough story to back it up. I like it. Plus, Savini! I mean come on!

Comment

for me, Maniac is second only to the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre in terms of being my all time favorite horror movie. it's uncomfortable, filthy, genuinely disturbing, and just absolutelty fucking ugly. it has the realism of movies like Henry: Portrait of Serial Killer, but perfectly mixes that realism with some of the best over-the-top splatter effects ever captured on film.

Comment

Haha Men behind the Sun Chips..great username!

Macabre and delicious all at the same time

"I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem may have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf. Alright? That tended to understate the hugeness of the object." David St. Hubbins- Spinal Tap

Comment

hope i'm doing this right - i've just joined BD, and have never used a message board, so this is a bit of a test - however, having said that - Maniac is one of the single most frightening and realistic movies from the 80's slasher era. if you're a horror fan that likes their films gritty and vicious, and you haven't seen this movie - go and rent it or buy it NOW. you will not be disappointed. William Lusting has another movie that's also quite good called Vigilante - if you like Death Wish, you should check this one out.
                  death is only the beginning...

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterzero
                    Joe Spinell REALLY carries that 'gross disgusting slob New Yorker in the late 70's early 80's' look. Probably the most believable character in horror history. I was surprised to find out that Spinell is not only a decent actor, but a decent writer and person as well.

Maniac also sports the greatest head explosion of all time. Savini outdid himself with this film in comparison to DOTD with their head explosion.

2 severed thumbs up!
                    Joe Spinell did do a fantastic job. Maniac makes my all time top 10 favorite horrors #6 or so. Justcreepy and great acting by Joe Spinell, plays a great psycho.
                    Last edited by Hilti De-walt; 12-25-2005, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Savieri
                      he is right, you have movies that focus on how many people the person can kill in an hour and a half (ie, slasher) and you have a movie that focuses on the killer more and their motivation behind the killings, they kill less but you know why they kill (ie, serial killer films). I see the difference perfectly.

I also see why people wonder what this fits into. I would personally put it in a serial killer catagory, sure he kills a lot of women but its not mindless killing, the movie focuses on his thoughts, his drives, and his desire to stop as he does know its wrong. The ending also displays exactly how fragile his mind is, something you dont find in a slasher film.

Its not a fantastic film, but it is a film every horror/slasher fan should see. Its dirty, and its the killers intentions that makes it dirty but that also gives it more substance than your everyday slasher. Its well done, I recommend it.
                      All I know is slasher films are about serial killers that makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

Just picked this up on VHS. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Question: It says "Directors Cut" but it also says rated R, cut or uncut?

Comment

Enjoyable slasher movie. Awesome head explosion and a nice scalping to go along with it.
                          When a man bleeds it's just tissue. But blood from one of you Things won't obey.

Comment

Very good horror movie, it does rate high on the sexual violence chart though so its not for everybody.

You gotta love the shotgun scene!

Comment

Originally posted by Stealins
                              Just picked this up on VHS. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Question: It says "Directors Cut" but it also says rated R, cut or uncut?
                              I don't know if the VHS is uncut or not, but the DVD is unrated. Even the IFC channel version is totally uncut. Maybe the R rating on the tape is a misprint.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripped
                                You gotta love the shotgun scene!
                                You know that the cast and crew had to pack up the gear and run like hell after filming those 2 scenes before the cops showed up? Apperently it's illegal to fire a shotgun in NYC and they did not get the permits for it beforehand.

Comment

Working...
                                X