Maniac (1980)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maniac (1980)

Holy fuck was this movie BRUTAL! I've never see such good gore in a film before. Savini should have won an academy award for his work. The film had everything I like... violence, gore, tits, and brutality.

I rank this one a 5/5 and I'm considering getting the dvd. It was funny seeing Gazzo from Rocky in a lead role. He fit it perfectly.

never seen....i bet its good then....
    2014 Horror Draft:

Psycho (1960) - Alfred Hitchcock
    Bride of Frankenstein (1932) - James Whale
    I Saw the Devil (2010) - Kim Jee-woon
    Body Bags (1993) - John Carpenter
    Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) - Panos Cosmatos
    Halloween II (1981) - Rick Rosenthal
    Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) - David Lynch
    The Descent (2005) - Neil Marshall
    Cemetary Man (1994) - Michele Soavi
    Cabin Fever (2002) - Eli Roth

Comment

...pretty funny this movie...the acting isnt great but the movie has its charm

Comment

Joe Zito, the director, is related to Chuck Zito who plays Pancamo on OZ.

Joseph Spinnell,who played the Maniac, was also in the Stallone film Nighthawks way back in the day. This was one of the first truly brutal American slasher flicks and I still remember the old poster and newspaper ads for it..a woman's head is held in a guy's hands, and it says " I warned you not to go out tonight." Savini was at the begining of his long career and slowly climbing to the top of his game. What a movie this was.This guy can do anything.
        "You wish to find Jerusalem, my son?
        You go to the place where the men speak Italian, and take the boat until you come to the place where the men speak something different."

Comment

I didn't know about the Zito connection. It would be cool having a brother who is a Hell's Angel to stick up for you.

Comment

maniac was great for showcasing savini's talent, and the guy is top notch in the fx world, but that was about it. i enjoyed it, but i keep it in the "novelty horror" category, novelty read as:

3: a small inexpensive mass-produced article [syn: knickknack] 4: cheap showy jewelry or ornament on clothing [syn: bangle, bauble, gaud, gewgaw, fallal, trinket]

Comment

This was directed by William Lustig, not Joseph Zito. Your thinking of "The Prowler".

Comment

Originally posted by CJ_01976
                This was directed by William Lustig, not Joseph Zito. Your thinking of "The Prowler".
                ..that sounds more like it.....

Comment

Ive been meaning to check it out. Added it to my queue.

Comment

This is a great movie. Savini has said that the scene he is in is the most disturbing and believable thing he has ever done.

Comment

Originally posted by Spookshow
                      Holy fuck was this movie BRUTAL! I've never see such good gore in a film before. Savini should have won an academy award for his work. The film had everything I like... violence, gore, tits, and brutality.

I rank this one a 5/5 and I'm considering getting the dvd. It was funny seeing Gazzo from Rocky in a lead role. He fit it perfectly.
                      I dont get it you give it 5/5 stars then say you CONSIDER getting it?????? Dont make sense to me.

That is by far the best slasher flick to ever be made IMO. Extremely graffic, violent, Brutal, gory and twisted with Joe Spinnel playing a great psycho, it by far is one of my top 5 favorite horror films. I remeber see'ing it when I was like 7years old couldnt remeber the name and then ran into some kid who was a huge horror fan and I asked him he told me the name and when on the mission to find it. I have had it for 2 years and watch it probablyonce a month.

Anyway this movie was not directed by Zitto the director is William Lustig. Maniac 1980.
                      Last edited by Hilti De-walt; 11-24-2005, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ_01976
                        Sorry for the misinfo there...I know Zito had something to do with it though, if I'm right. Thanks for the 411. As far as The Prowler, didn't Savini do the FX on that one also?
                        "You wish to find Jerusalem, my son?
                        You go to the place where the men speak Italian, and take the boat until you come to the place where the men speak something different."

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Fisher
                          As far as The Prowler, didn't Savini do the FX on that one also?
                          Yes. The Prowler show cases some of Savini's best work. The guy always delivers. Joseph Zito and Tom also tag teamed Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, which is one of the best in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilti De-walt
                            I dont get it you give it 5/5 stars then say you CONSIDER getting it?????? Dont make sense to me.

That is by far the best slasher flick to ever be made IMO. Extremely graffic, violent, Brutal, gory and twisted with Joe Spinnel playing a great psycho, it by far is one of my top 5 favorite horror films. .
                            ...I'm not sure if it is a slasher or a serial killer movie....usually slashers dont go indept in the killers psyche...but I not sure...maybe you can call it a borderline between a slasher and a serial killer movie.....

Comment

Originally posted by slasherman
                              ...I'm not sure if it is a slasher or a serial killer movie....usually slashers dont go indept in the killers psyche...but I not sure...maybe you can call it a borderline between a slasher and a serial killer movie.....
                              Isnt a slasher movie about serial killers, didnt know there was a difference. Since you say there is maybe you could give me examples maybe 2 or 3 movies under each category?

I never knew there were specific groups for serial killers, I never even knew the two were categorized seperatley. I have always thought a slasher flick would basically be a about any type of person going around murdering people, violently obviousley, but I could be wrong.

I would consider Maniac, Black Christmas, High Tension, Texas Chainsaw Massacre ( 1974 ofcourse ), Last House on the Left, Se7en etc.... to be Slsher flicks, but thats how I look at it. I guess its all a matter of opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X