Scariest PG rated movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kenjis Ghost View Post
    Cannibal Holocaust jus kidding but in all seriousness I cant understand how some of these films you've mentioned are pg!? I mean Poltergeist has a gory as hell face scene along with raiders, Grizzly has several limbs being torn off and Gremlins has some blood in quick scenes..... Dont worry I dont support censorship either though.
    Well, during the time these films were made, there was no PG-13 in existence. The PG-13 rating was originally suggested to the MPAA by Stephen Spielberg in response to the uproar that was caused by both Gremlins and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I can also be attributed to the battle that Stephen Spielberg waged with the MPAA in order to achieve a PG rating for Poltergeist, which originally recieved an R rating.

Before 1984, without a "middle-ground" rating between PG and R, a certain level of profanity, gore and nudity was quite common in PG films. Just for an example, go back and watch 16 Candles and take note of the frontal nudity shower scene early in the film.

As far as your comment that you "...dont support censorship.."..we do not have a practice of censorship within the Film industry in America. The MPAA ratings system is completely voluntary and only suggests changes in order to obtain their "seal-of-approval." Filmmakers and studios can always opt out of the ratings system.Yes, there are financial repurcussions to this decision. Most "mainstream" theaters will not carry films that have no rating.

Also, just a side note....when referring to "censorship." The MPAA is not a Government organization. It is set up by the Motion Picture system itself. There is absolutely no Government run or sanctioned group or system for deeming what is appropriate or inappropriate in the United States. Of course, this cannot be said for may other countries...UK, Australia, China....etc...

Comment

poltergeist
      Old man Clemmons hates shit.

Comment

There's also an interesting documentary discussing American's rating system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Film_Is_Not_Yet_Rated
        "The sexiest parts of my body?
        My brain, my spine, and my guts."

Comment

Jaws hands down

Comment

Poltergeist
            Jaws
            Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Hag View Post
              Tourist Trap got slapped with a PG rating. That one is pretty creepy.
              For its time or still yet? Cause my Cult Video copy has an R rating.

Comment

jaws

You didn't let me finish. I'm not gonna hurt you, I'm gonna bash your brains in!

Comment

I Australia Jaws is M but if it's PG for you guys then yes I'd say that. Apart from the when I was like 7 I used to watch Arachnophobia and it used to scare the shit out of me, lol. I've seen it again since and it still has a lot of solid suspense scenes. Especially creepy if you don't like spiders. But yeah in Aus thats PG as well.
                  groovy

Comment

The Burbs. I found it scary when I was a kid. Had me thinking all the nieghbors were killers.

DVDAF: Movies ll TV

Comment

Id pick JAWS as the scariest PG movie,then Poltergiest and Its Alive(1974)..And in reference to 16 candles,there was no frontal nudity in the movie...it was a side body shot..with side boob shot and a rear butt shot..
                      Originally posted by killbabykill34 View Post
                      Well, during the time these films were made, there was no PG-13 in existence. The PG-13 rating was originally suggested to the MPAA by Stephen Spielberg in response to the uproar that was caused by both Gremlins and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I can also be attributed to the battle that Stephen Spielberg waged with the MPAA in order to achieve a PG rating for Poltergeist, which originally recieved an R rating.

Before 1984, without a "middle-ground" rating between PG and R, a certain level of profanity, gore and nudity was quite common in PG films. Just for an example, go back and watch 16 Candles and take note of the frontal nudity shower scene early in the film.

As far as your comment that you "...dont support censorship.."..we do not have a practice of censorship within the Film industry in America. The MPAA ratings system is completely voluntary and only suggests changes in order to obtain their "seal-of-approval." Filmmakers and studios can always opt out of the ratings system.Yes, there are financial repurcussions to this decision. Most "mainstream" theaters will not carry films that have no rating.

Also, just a side note....when referring to "censorship." The MPAA is not a Government organization. It is set up by the Motion Picture system itself. There is absolutely no Government run or sanctioned group or system for deeming what is appropriate or inappropriate in the United States. Of course, this cannot be said for may other countries...UK, Australia, China....etc...

Comment

Was The Witches with Anjelica Huston rated PG? If so, that shit was the most terrifying--I'll take a great white shark over a banquet-hall full o' witches any old day of the week.

Comment

i'll have to ask my brother about this and see if his seven kids can watch jaws or poltergeist considering they are a strong christian family and he is a pastor. it would awesome to watch them
                          sigpic

Comment

Poltergeist was scary??? Really don't see how it is.

Comment

Poltergeist had some good gore and good scares for a PG film.

Times were different then.

Comment

HAHA. This thread is funny.

Comment

Working...
                                X