No announcement yet.

The Howling (1980)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw this recently and enjoyed it. Although the first half was slow, the characters were quirky enough to maintain my interest. I'm about to delve into Pt. 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Heathen View Post
      I saw this recently and enjoyed it. Although the first half was slow, the characters were quirky enough to maintain my interest. I'm about to delve into Pt. 2.
      The first movie is the only one worth watching.

Comment

I want to check out part 2 one day.. Same director as part 3. Phillip Mora. Interesting director, made a few horror movies. Communion being my favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by rusted31 View Post
          The first movie is the only one worth watching.
          If you want a good laugh the third one is always available.
          “I know you’re ‘good’ people. I know you mean well… But you just didn’t think it through…. There is only one path to peace… Your extermination.” - Ultron (Avengers: Age of Ultron)

Comment

I could never get into the first Howling movie. It seems too campy for my tastes, particularly everything happening at the camp(lol, I just noticed the pun) retreat. The werewolf effects were cool, but what was up with Dee Wallace turning into a were-shih zsu at the end? LOL!

The second Howling had better atmosphere, IMO, but a more crappier story(and acting).

The third Howling was almost pure comedy.

The fourth was like a psuedo remake of the first, and while I liked the individual looks and transformations of the werewolves(reminded me of the vampires in Fright Night, as they all kinda looked different and unique), it was pretty boring.

The fifth Howling is probably the best one of the series. I enjoyed it the most, as well as the spooky castle atmosphere.

Those are the only ones I've seen, so I can't comment on the others, though considering from what I've heard, it might be great that I steered clear of them.

Comment

I never cared for any of The Howling movies. The first one was the only movie in the series that was even watchable, and the only thing good about it was the transformation scene. The rest of the movie is just boring, and hasn't aged well. Basically, this movie was just not good in my opinion. Now if you want to see a good werewolf movie that came out the same year as the Howling I suggest An American Werewolf in London. It is everything The Howling wishes it could be.

You would too

Comment

Coolest looking werewolf design ever. Truly a "wolf man". Botin was robbed that year, much as I also dig AWiL.

Me @ IMDB :::
                Me @ facebook.com :: Sick Boy @ youtube.com

Comment

this is one of my top werewolf movies. the makeup is awesome though not as great as AWIL but still a great job. and the story itself was kinda interesting too, though i pretty much hated the sequels, even though i own part 2. i wanna read the books one of these days.
                  "The last remaining werewolf must be destroyed...its you, David."

Comment

Director Joe Dante put many in-joke references in the film, including subtle references to wolves (The Big Bad Wolf from Walt Disney's The Three Little Pigs (1933) is seen on TV, Sheriff Newfield is seen eating Wolf Brand chili and a similar can is seen on the counter in Eddie's cabin, a copy of the Allen Ginsberg book Howl appears, a mention of disc jockey Wolfman Jack, and in Karen and Bill's cabin there is a picture of a wolf who killed a sheep within the flock).

Furthermore, many characters in the film are named after horror film directors who directed other films that featured werewolves, including George Waggner, who directed The Wolf Man (1941). Others include R. William Neill (Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943), Terence Fisher (The Curse of the Werewolf (1960), Freddie Francis (Legend of the Werewolf (1975), Erle Kenton (House of Dracula (1945), which co-stars John Carradine, who plays Kenton in The Howling), Sam Newfield (The Mad Monster (1942), Charles Barton (Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (194, Paul Naschy (La Marca del Hombre Lobo (196 and Lew Landers (The Return of the Vampire (1944).

Dick Miller's bookstore owner Walter Paisley gets his name from Miller's starring role in the low-budget horror film A Bucket of Blood (1959). Also present in the bookstore is the mummified "grandma" mannequin in her rocking chair from the attic of the house in the original The Texas Chain Saw Massacre film.

The film's screenwriter (later director) John Sayles, Dante's former producer Roger Corman and science fiction and horror film personality Forrest J. Ackerman all have cameos

Comment

Very slow and boring film,not many scares,werewolves look really good and that's about the only good thing I can say about this film
                      Old man Clemmons hates shit.

Comment

Not a good film, fell asleep on this. I highly recommend readers to view AWIL over this.

Comment

Couldn't agree more
                          AWIL fucking chomps the Howling to pieces
                          Old man Clemmons hates shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Torrance View Post
                            Couldn't agree more
                            AWIL fucking chomps the Howling to pieces

Agreed

They came out the same year so obviously they will always be compared to each other, but overall AWIL is a far superior movie.

You would too

Comment

true AWIL is a far superior film, including the transformation, but the Howling does have some great merits on its own.
                              "The last remaining werewolf must be destroyed...its you, David."

Comment

Originally posted by werewolf View Post
                                true AWIL is a far superior film, including the transformation, but the Howling does have some great merits on its own.
                                No it doesn't, not if a movie can put many people to sleep, including myself when I tried to stay up & watch it twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X