No announcement yet.

The Howling (1980)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's amazing how many people just don't like this movie. The most common complaint that I've ever heard is "it looks fake". I hope these people never get laid.

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingNeckLump View Post
      It's amazing how many people just don't like this movie. The most common complaint that I've ever heard is "it looks fake". I hope these people never get laid.
      I gotta disagree. The transformation scene was actually pretty damn good. The second best all-time behind AWIL in my opinion. The problem with the Howling is that the transformation scene is the only exciting thing that happens the entire movie. The rest of the movie is just boooooooooooooooooooooooring!

You would too

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingNeckLump View Post
        I don't think anybody who recently posted about disliking this movie said anything regarding how fake it looks. If anything, the SFX is the ONLY thing most of haters(more like dislikers, as there doesn't seem to be true hater for this film, as most who dislike it simply write it off as being "blah") actually like about it. The movie, itself, is kinda boring. AWIL is more entertaining, IMO, with more likable characters. Both movies have their quirky sides, but AWIL pulled off the comedic timing just right, while The Howling felt ultra cheesy.

Comment

I can't stand this movie. It's so boring.
          Don't fuck with the babysitter

Comment

I was going to disagree with several posters up there and say y'all are totally wrong about this being the second best werewolf transformation. But now that I think about it, the recent Wolfman redux would be what I'd classify as the best now, so, yeah, Howling would be second, making AWiL third.

Howling still has the best werewolf design though.
            Me @ IMDB :::
            Me @ facebook.com :: Sick Boy @ youtube.com

Comment

Originally posted by BurnetRhoades View Post
              I was going to disagree with several posters up there and say y'all are totally wrong about this being the second best werewolf transformation. But now that I think about it, the recent Wolfman redux would be what I'd classify as the best now, so, yeah, Howling would be second, making AWiL third.

No way on the Wolfman redux. I can't stand the CGI in today's horror movies. It looks too fake, and has killed many recent horror movies that had any kind of potential. They aren't trying to put out the best product anymore. They are trying to do it the easiest and cheapest way. The oldschool makeup guys didn't have the technology nor the resources of today, but somehow managed to create a much better product with a little tender, love, and care. Hell, Michael Jackson's Thriller had a better werewolf transformation than that Wolfman CGI crap.

Oh,and best werewolf transformation goes to AWIL with The Howling coming in second. Best werewolf design goes to the outstanding late 80's tv series simply known as Werewolf.
              Last edited by "Evil" Ed Thompson; 05-05-2011, 04:06 PM.

You would too

Comment

Originally posted by "Evil" Ed Thompson View Post
                Best werewolf design goes to the outstanding late 80's tv series simply known as Werewolf.
                Nah, that werewolf had bird ears. The best design was that of the second werewolf in the recent TV movie The Boy Who Cried Werewolf.

Comment

Originally posted by "Evil" Ed Thompson View Post
                  ...They are trying to do it the easiest and cheapest way. ...
                  Now I know you don't know WTF you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by BurnetRhoades View Post
                    I like American Werewolf In London or Silver Bullet more in terms of best werewolf design....

Comment

Originally posted by The Bear Jew View Post
                      I like American Werewolf In London or Silver Bullet more in terms of best werewolf design....
                      That guy seems to be making a habit out of not knowing what he is talking about.

I agree with you, though. The designs used in The Howling were originally created for American Werewolf In London. Landis tells the story at public appearances and has even stated it on a few interviews for horror documentaries. Baker was waiting to use his ideas while Landis tried to get funding. He started production on The Howling first, and left to do AWIL with Landis. Leaving his friend and colleague Rob Bottin to finish the effects on The Howling.

As far as werewolf design goes, it is a tie between AWIL and Dog Soldiers for me. I also enjoyed the design in Ginger Snaps.

EDIT: Also, The Howling came out in 1981, not 1980.
                      Last edited by menasyng; 05-06-2011, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by menasyng View Post
                        The designs used in The Howling were originally created for American Werewolf In London. Landis tells the story at public appearances and has even stated it on a few interviews for horror documentaries. Baker was waiting to use his ideas while Landis tried to get funding. He started production on The Howling first, and left to do AWIL with Landis. Leaving his friend and colleague Rob Bottin to finish the effects on The Howling.
                        Bravo. Someone knows what they're on about.

So many people bang on about the effects in AWIL, but that's only because the film was released first.

If it were the other way around people would be praising the shit out of The Howling.

Both movies use the SAME effect. The same effect that Landis would use again for Michael Jacksons Thriller video.

I love both movies.

Comment

Probably the first werewolf movie I saw & I've loved them ever since. Great FX, still pretty scary also one of the best werwolf flicks.

Comment

LOL @ menasyng

Comment

I've always preferred the camp classic Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf. You just can't beat Christopher Lee in wraparound sunglasses.
                              "To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder."

Comment

Originally posted by pixie06 View Post
                                Probably the first werewolf movie I saw & I've loved them ever since. Great FX, still pretty scary also one of the best werwolf flicks.
                                so true

Comment

Working...
                                X