The Howling (1980)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Howling (1980)

"The Howling"........Terrific 1980 werewolf movie starring horror movie vet Dee Wallace. Great special effects.....suspense....humor....fine cast...and wonderful makeup effects. I found the performances from Dee to be hit and miss. I thought alot of her emotional scenes were so forced and a little campy. BUT...her ending scene where her character changed on t.v was top notch. She portrayed horror and sadness all at once with her facial expressions..and that one tear rolling down her cheek was very sad to see. Robert Picardo as "Eddie" was wonderful. Another standout for me was the "Terry" character played wonderfully by Belinda Balaski. She should have recieved a Supporting Actress Saturn Award nomination for this role. I felt so sorry for the character. I also thought the dream sequences with Karen trying to remember her encounter with Eddie to be very effective and riveting. The music score during those scenes is fantastic. All in all The Howling is a riveting classic and one of the alltime best horror movies ever.

9/10

A classic-hands down!
    Last edited by myersfan 78; 06-30-2010, 09:58 PM.
    sigpic
    Dr.Loomis:"Does anybody live here?"
    Sheriff Brackett:"No,not since 1963 when it happened-every kid in Haddonfield thinks this place is haunted."
    Dr.Loomis:"THEY MAY BE RIGHT."

Comment

suspenseful atmosphere and great cinematography too. the movie is great.

Comment

Originally posted by RomeroCarpenter Fan View Post
        suspenseful atmosphere and great cinematography too. the movie is great.
        Oh yes...some wonderful cinematography.

Comment

One of the best Werewolf films!

Comment

I know I'm on my own here, but I never liked the Howling.

Comment

Originally posted by 967-Evil View Post
              I know I'm on my own here, but I never liked the Howling.
              Interesting. Care to explain?

Comment

Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
                Interesting. Care to explain?
                Damn, it's been a few years since I've seen it. The werewolves looked good and all, but the film itself I found boring. I wish I could elaborate more, but my memory of it is kind of vague other than the fact I remember not caring for it.

Comment

I like it, but yeah, beginning was kinda going nowhere, and the ending was just done and/or depicted badly.

And then once Star Trek Voyager came out, it's even harder to take the head Werewolf seriously on top of his silly "piece of mind" scene.

Guessing I'm in the minority, but I much prefer part 3 actually. I do love the middle of part one for the most part tho, Slim Pickins and her husband, the rest of the community, good stuff.
                  Electric 6 Radio Ga Ga
                  Chemical Romance Welcome To The Black Parade
                  Beatfreakz Somebody's Watching Me
                  The Darkness I Believe In A Thing Called Love
                  Boogie Pimps Somebody To Love
                  Nightcore Land Of Confusion
                  Bif Naked Moment Of Weakness
                  Rend Collective My Lighthouse
                  Dickies Killer Klowns From Outer Space
                  Garbage Special
                  Cardigans My Favorite Game
                  Living Colour Cult of Personality
                  Limousines Internet Killed The Video Star
                  Alien Ant Farm Smooth Criminal
                  Sasha D Russian Girls
                  Scatman John Scatman

Comment

checking this out later tonight! looking for the remake!

Comment

The beginning of the film is quite slow, but other than that it's a great movie and better than all the "sequels," though I do like some of them. II is a guilty pleasure, III is too but is even more out there, IV is really just a mediocre remake of the original, V is probably the best of the sequels, VI I haven't seen for a long time, but I remember it being ok, and the last one is better off forgotten. Will see the new one, The Howling: Reborn, out of curiosity.

Movies recently seen:

The Boneyard- 6/10
                      Clash of the Titans '10- 8/10
                      The Exorcist- 10/10
                      Wrath of the Titans- 7/10
                      Zombie- 8/10

Comment

I wasn't a big fan of The Howling when I was younger, but it has grown on me over the years.
                        I hear bad things about the remake. It sounds like it's going to be all Twilightified.

Comment

I hadnt even heard of a remake.

I liked the orginal alright. Wasnt anything to write home about I didnt think. Seen worse for sure though.
                          Movies

MUSIC

Comment

Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
                            "The Howling"........Terrific 1980 werewolf movie starring horror movie vet Dee Wallace. Great special effects.....suspense....humor....fine cast...and wonderful makeup effects. I found the performances from Dee to be hit and miss. I thought alot of her emotional scenes were so forced and a little campy. BUT...her ending scene where her character changed on t.v was top notch. She portrayed horror and sadness all at once with her facial expressions..and that one tear rolling down her cheek was very sad to see. Robert Picardo as "Eddie" was wonderful. Another standout for me was the "Terry" character played wonderfully by Belinda Balaski. She should have recieved a Supporting Actress Saturn Award nomination for this role. I felt so sorry for the character. I also thought the dream sequences with Karen trying to remember her encounter with Eddie to be very effective and riveting. The music score during those scenes is fantastic. All in all The Howling is a riveting classic and one of the alltime best horror movies ever.

9/10

whoah a classic movie... im not born in that year.. but nice effect....

Comment

"The Howling"........Terrific 1980 werewolf movie starring horror movie vet Dee Wallace. Great special effects.....suspense....humor....fine cast...and wonderful makeup effects. I found the performances from Dee to be hit and miss. I thought alot of her emotional scenes were so forced and a little campy.The childesh crying grates the nerves at times. BUT...her ending scene where her character transformed on t.v was top notch. She portrayed horror and sadness all at once with her facial expressions..and that one tear rolling down her cheek was very sad to see. Robert Picardo as "Eddie" is wonderful. Another standout for me is the "Terry" character played wonderfully by Belinda Balaski. She should have recieved a Supporting Actress Saturn Award nomination for this role. I felt so sorry for the character. I also thought the dream sequences with Karen trying to remember her encounter with Eddie to be very effective and riveting. The music score during those scenes is fantastic. All in all..The Howling is a riveting horror classic and one of the alltime best!

9/10

Comment

Working...
                              X