Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOTLD:30th Anniversary Version (1968/1998)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOTLD:30th Anniversary Version (1968/1998)

"NOTLD:30th Anniversary Version"......What the hell were they thinking? Why re-edit this masterpiece and add in new scenes? Not to mention make up a whole new music score. Granted some of the score was actually pretty good and haunting for some scenes. The new cast members for the new scenes were sickening to watch..especially the guy who played the priest. Shit poor actor!! The woman who played the reporter was ok though. This 30th anniversary edition was a bust. I am sure they could have found some deleted scenes and scene extensions to make an extended cut for this special anniversary. But instead they went this route. John Russo and Russ Streiner both need a punch to the face for this!! BUT......we still had alot of the original movie to enjoy...so I cant grade this version a total failure!!

6/10

Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
    "NOTLD:30th Anniversary Version"......What the hell were they thinking? Why re-edit this masterpiece and add in new scenes? Not to mention make up a whole new music score. Granted some of the score was actually pretty good and haunting for some scenes. The new cast members for the new scenes were sickening to watch..especially the guy who played the priest. Shit poor actor!! The woman who played the reporter was ok though. This 30th anniversary edition was a bust. I am sure they could have found some deleted scenes and scene extensions to make an extended cut for this special anniversary. But instead they went this route. John Russo and Russ Streiner both need a punch to the face for this!! BUT......we still had alot of the original movie to enjoy...so I cant grade this version a total failure!!

6/10
    I hear ya. there are good and bad points to this madeup version. only good part is the original scenes.

Comment

I wonder what Romero thought about this version? His name is not mentioned in any of the new version credits.

Comment

now this is an example where the newly added scenes slow down the original movie and take away crucial atmosphere and feeling from the movie.

Comment

John Russo bastardized the original in this pathetic attempt to cash in one last time. Never have I been so absolutely fucking offended by a movie as I was with this meaningless and irrelevant turd. It's impossible to truly list the reasons why I hate this film above all other horror films ever fucking made, but to sum it up, it's primarily all the blasphemous deletion of original footage that built character and atmosphere in the original which was replaced by the "bonus footage" that is absolutely fucking ridiculous and atrocious. Take that out, replace all the original footage and bury Russo in the Goddamn ground and I'll be happy.

So much original footage was cut that I can't even list it all here. ONE example I have off the top of my head is the "bonus" footage of the two dip daps at the beginning of the movie who give a dumb ass backstory about Bill Hinzmans zombie (whose corpse they're apparently transporting in their truck) being a child murderer. The true fright about any and all zombies is that they're our neighbors, friends and family...even after all these years Russo fails to grasp even that most simple concept within his aging and feeble brain. To top it off this short sequence was delivered at the level you would expect from a 4th grade Halloween play. As a matter of fact all the extra actors are terrible.

He felt the need to add this footage in but in return cut out the original opening sequence of Barbara and Johnny driving through the cemetery...and the accompanying dialogue with it. This is unforgivable.

The only thing Russo achieved was the reaffirmation that Romero was the one primarily responsible for the original masterpiece and was the visionary that made it all happen. Russo took one of the greatest horror classics ever made and shit all over it with pure, sheer stupidity. Apparently this asshole thinks that horror fans are all as dumb as he is and will accept any fodder thrown our way. We'll I'd like to be the one to tell him to his face that he's fucking wrong. All his accomplishments will never re-establish any respect I've lost for him for this piece of shit. Fuck you Russo. Go to Hell.

Spreading the dis-ease with mental wine and cheese since 79'.

Comment on my BD blogs. http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...g.php?u=107195

My Horror Collection http://hippiecult.dvdaf.com/

Comment

^

Awesome post HippieCult...and I agree with you.

Comment

loved the original, not much for the re-colourized version of it or whatever you want to call it, I think it looks best in black an white, but I still love it, one of my all time favourite movies!

http://www.facebook.com/ArtofTypH

http;//www.twitter.com/BrianTyphair

Comment

The reason why Russo re-edited it is because he wanted to kick-start his own series. Back before Dawn of the Dead was made, Romero and Russo disagreed on where the series should go. Since Night of the Living Dead was in public domain, it was decided that they would each split up and create their own series. Russo got the term "..... of the Living Dead" and Romero got "..... of the Dead." Romero obviously went off to do his series but Russo had a harder time. He wrote a book called Return of the Living Dead, which got made into an unrelated movie (which i'm guessing you all know). He then tried to kick off a series again with Children of the Living Dead, which is the sequel to NOTLD: 30th Anniversary. That film was so bad that the director that Russo hired has publically apologized for it and said he would reimburse anyone who has paid to watch it. Russo is reportedly set to write and direct the sequel to Children of the Living Dead called Escape of the Living Dead for a 2011 release.
                World Zombie Defense

Comment

Originally posted by Bracket View Post
                  The reason why Russo re-edited it is because he wanted to kick-start his own series. Back before Dawn of the Dead was made, Romero and Russo disagreed on where the series should go. Since Night of the Living Dead was in public domain, it was decided that they would each split up and create their own series. Russo got the term "..... of the Living Dead" and Romero got "..... of the Dead." Romero obviously went off to do his series but Russo had a harder time. He wrote a book called Return of the Living Dead, which got made into an unrelated movie (which i'm guessing you all know). He then tried to kick off a series again with Children of the Living Dead, which is the sequel to NOTLD: 30th Anniversary. That film was so bad that the director that Russo hired has publically apologized for it and said he would reimburse anyone who has paid to watch it. Russo is reportedly set to write and direct the sequel to Children of the Living Dead called Escape of the Living Dead for a 2011 release.
                  Oh brother. I think Russo just needs to go away and give up already!!

Comment

Yeah i hate this version. The added scenes do nothing but obstruct the story, and don't even get me started on the new soundtrack
                    This version was also released on the Trilogy of The Dead box set a few years ago (along with a cut version of Dawn )

Stick to Romero's original. Those old library cues are way more fitting than that godawful synth shite

Comment

Originally posted by Bracket View Post
                      Russo is reportedly set to write and direct the sequel to Children of the Living Dead called Escape of the Living Dead for a 2011 release.
                      I did not hear of this. God help us...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Macabre View Post
                        I did not hear of this. God help us...
                        It's based on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_of_the_Living_Dead

You didn't let me finish. I'm not gonna hurt you, I'm gonna bash your brains in!

Comment

haha yea I think your right,but can't blame a guy for trying I guess haha

http://www.facebook.com/ArtofTypH

http;//www.twitter.com/BrianTyphair

Comment

Originally posted by bloodypacman View Post
                            Sounds like it's got more potential than Children of the Living Dead had with Tony Todd, Kane Hodder & Gunnar Hansen being involved. *fingers crossed*

Then again maybe I should take that back....Savini was in Children and that couldn't save the film.
                            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, he doesn't seem to know what he's doing.
                              World Zombie Defense

Comment

Working...
                              X