Black Christmas (1974)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Christmas (1974)

I watched Black Christmas Today for the second time,The first time i watched it,i had heard so much hype about it that my expectations were ridiculously over the top.
    And expected more gore,BUT~!! this time i watched it with no expectations,older calmer,and more able to apreciate a real horror masterpiece,I found it to be extremley entertaining and scary.
    The acting was superband so was the story.
    The subtle death scenes were effective,even though not gory,although the unicorn death scene did have some bloody reward.It is now one of my favorite horror films,and for 1974,it was groundbreaking ,and in my opinion it was the first "When a Stranger Calls". if someone else has said this in the past, fuck u ,I know how evil u bitchs can be.
    Last edited by Ellie Driver; 01-07-2006, 09:10 AM.

Eden Lake -9/10
    Return To Sleepaway Camp- 9/10-"loved the old school feel"plus the return of Angela and Ricky..
    Saw V -8/10
    MBV 3D -9 1/2/ 10
    The Wrestler-10/10

One of my favorites. Anyone who loves Halloween owes it to themselves to check out where Carpenter got some of his ideas.

Comment

I liked this movie too. It's classic, and it gives me the creeps.
      Blood is thickest when love is bold, but blood runs thin when the heart grows cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie Driver
        I watched Black Christmas Today for the second time,The first time i watched it,i had heard so much hype about it that my expectations were ridiculously over the top.
        And expected more gore,BUT~!! this time i watched it with no expectations,older calmer,and more able to apreciate a real horror masterpiece,I found it to be extremley entertaining and scary.
        The acting was superband so was the story.
        The subtle death scenes were effective,even though not gory,although the unicorn death scene did have some bloody reward.It is now one of my favorite horror films,and for 1974,it was groundbreaking and the original when a stranger calls.if someone else has said this in the past, fuck u ,I know how evil u bitchs can be.
        Funny thing is it took me 2 or 3 times of viewing to really appreciate what the movie was. relys striclty on plot and suspension , while you see basically no murders or any violence . Its a pure genious of a film and definite masterpiece. I said at first whats all the hype, and like I said after 2 or 3 views I do understand.

Comment

One of my favorite horror movies. Very suspenseful. Saw it for the first time Dec. 25 2004 at 3 AM and was paranoid walking up the stairs in the dark afterwards.

Comment

Awesome movie, Ellie Driver i see u have an avatar for The Burning...think you might be able to hook me up with a dvd.....please

Comment

The movie fucking sucks.

Yes, some of it IS creepy, but.....so what. The kills sucked. The characters sucked. The movie doesn't even tell you who the killer is or why he's killing people. The cops are ridiculously stupid. They find dead bodies in the house but never once check the attic where the killer and his 1st victim is hiding. No investigation at all, just cleaned up the bodies and left without looking around for more MISSING victims. The hero girl is ridiculously stupid. After all the death in her house she stays behind all alone when the cops leave. What girl do you know that would stay in the house after her friends are all murdered?

Outside of some creepy scenes, I can't see why the movie is held in such high reguard. The only similarites to Halloween were a few interior shots and camera angles, not much more.

Comment

Classic horror film. Really creepy, and I always liked that you never get to see the killer. Makes it more effective than it would have been otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by kiddcapone
                  The movie fucking sucks.
                  No, it doesnt.

Yes, some of it IS creepy, but.....so what. The kills sucked. The characters sucked. The movie doesn't even tell you who the killer is or why he's killing people.
                  The kills in Halloween werent any better. Do we know why Myers is killing people or why he killed his sister? No.

The cops are ridiculously stupid. They find dead bodies in the house but never once check the attic where the killer and his 1st victim is hiding. No investigation at all, just cleaned up the bodies and left without looking around for more MISSING victims.
                  The cops do search the house. They even asked one detective if he wanted them to search the attic, but he said no. You dont pay much attention to what you watch huh?

The hero girl is ridiculously stupid. After all the death in her house she stays behind all alone when the cops leave. What girl do you know that would stay in the house after her friends are all murdered?
                  She was exausted and passed out, so they let her rest in a house that was secure..or so they thought. There was a cop standing guard outside the house. Again you dont pay much attention do you?

Outside of some creepy scenes, I can't see why the movie is held in such high reguard. The only similarites to Halloween were a few interior shots and camera angles, not much more.
                  Funny, i was thinking the same thing about Halloween.

Youre bitching and moaning about the kills in Black Christmas, but the kills in Halloween were no different. Both movies relied on suspence and atmosphere, not blood and guts.

Comment

billy!!!!one of my top 10 favorites and pissed as hell they're doing it again...killer classic from bob clark who also did deathdream,children shouldn't play w/ dead things(clark is remaking it),porky's,and a christmas story...great first person shots(halloween was originally supposed to be a sequel),cast(kidder,martin,hussey,and saxon)and phone calls...

anyone ever notice how it's the same snowball shot in blk. christmas (first victim's father,which is classic,lose your daughter get a snowball)& a christmas story(ralph from the bully)?

on a side note i work w/ the guy who tried to help kidder that time she had her little spell in the airport...
                    http://www.myspace.com/mehemfilms

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=mehem (d)

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=5&id=mehem (v)

http://cd-tracker.com/item_list_v2.a...C+title%5Fitem

Comment

Originally posted by ColdCase
                      No, it doesnt.

The kills in Halloween werent any better. Do we know why Myers is killing people or why he killed his sister? No.

The cops do search the house. They even asked one detective if he wanted them to search the attic, but he said no. You dont pay much attention to what you watch huh?

She was exausted and passed out, so they let her rest in a house that was secure..or so they thought. There was a cop standing guard outside the house. Again you dont pay much attention do you?

Funny, i was thinking the same thing about Halloween.

Youre bitching and moaning about the kills in Black Christmas, but the kills in Halloween were no different. Both movies relied on suspence and atmosphere, not blood and guts.
                      Your talking out of your ass. It's one thing to leave a few things to the viewers imagination, it's a lazy thing to leave EVERYTHING. Halloween SHOWS Michael Myers, you KNOW who he is, his doctor TELLS you that he has the devils eyes and is pure evil, he killed one sister and now he wants to kill the other..why? Now that is where it's left up to the viewer. Black Christmas? What does he look like? What is his name (Billy?)? Why did he pick that house? Why is he killing? Everything is unanswered, not just a few things.

The detectives at a crime scene find dead bodies all around the house with one girl missing, so they opt NOT to look in the attic? How fucking stupid and lazy is that?

How was the house secure when they never checked the whole house? One cop sitting out front in a car? The place DOES have a backdoor. What security after grizzly murders. The girl was tired so they let her sleep in a crime scene before any kind of real investigation? Plus, she isn't bothered by the fact her best friends and roommates were found dead in the house and is too tired to sleep somewhere else? I don't know about you, but if several people were murdered in my house, the cops wouldn't let me sleep there nor would I want too, tired or not.

The kills in Halloween were ALOT better. You've got Annie with her slit neck lying on the bed with Judith Myers tombstone above her head, and Bob getting impaled against the wall in midair by a butcherknife. You've also got the creepy bedsheet scene. Not to mention the classic mask. Black Christmas? You've got a girl with a cellophane bag over her head sitting in a rocking chair. Whoopdie fucking doo.
                      Last edited by kiddcapone; 01-07-2006, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Black Christmas is a classic, from the killer viewpoint makes the movie very creepy..I think...when he climbs into the house, walks through the house, the camera work in the film adds so much, since you never see the real killer

Comment

Originally posted by kiddcapone
                          Your talking out of your ass. It's one thing to leave a few things to the viewers imagination, it's a lazy thing to leave EVERYTHING.
                          The only thing Black left to the imagination is Billy himself. Nothing more.

Halloween SHOWS Michael Myers, you KNOW who he is, his doctor TELLS you that he has the devils eyes and is pure evil, he killed one sister and now he wants to kill the other..why? Now that is where it's left up to the viewer. Black Christmas? What does he look like? What is his name (Billy?)? Why did he pick that house? Why is he killing? Everything is unanswered, not just a few things.
                          I can play your game. Again, why is Myers evil? Why cant he die? Why did he kill his sister? why does he have a problem with Halloween? Why did he choose the shatner mask? Why is he the "devil"? How did he become this way? The fact that Loomis keeps saying hes the devil doesnt answer anything.

The detectives at a crime scene find dead bodies all around the house with one girl missing, so they opt NOT to look in the attic? How fucking stupid and lazy is that?
                          If they would have checked to attic, the ending wouldint have worked.

How was the house secure when they never checked the whole house? The girl was tired so they let her sleep in a crime scene before any kind of real investigation? Plus, she isn't bothered by the fact her best friends and roommates were found dead in the house and is too tired to sleep somewhere else?
                          She passed out. She had a struggle in the basement with her ex boyfriend. She was out like a light. Im pretty sure she was left in a state of shock.

I don't know about you, but if several people were murdered in my house, the cops wouldn't let me sleep there nor would I want too, tired or not.
                          The cops were outside. Im sure she felt safe nor does she even recall what just happened. Im sure she was still in shock.

The kills in Halloween were ALOT better. You've got Annie with her slit neck lying on the bed with Judith Myers tombstone above her head, and Bob getting impaled against the wall in midair by a butcherknife. You've also got the creepy bedsheet scene. Not to mention the classic mask. Black Christmas? You've got a girl with a cellophane bag over her head sitting in a rocking chair. Whoopdie fucking doo.
                          ...if you call knife stabbing and use of a phone cord creative deaths, then yeah. Billy didnt need a mask, he didnt need a gimmick, he was just plain scary. He was a normal person, which makes him 100 times more scary. You could encounter somebody like Billy. Myers you wouldnt. Myers isnt scary in the least.

Comment

i've grown so tired of people who can't think on their own and have to have everything wrapped up neatly,they have to see everything,have to know the motivation,have a murder every 5 minutes,have no need for suspense or mystery,and more importantly don't watch closely enough(one of my big gripes w/ those who don't like haute tension)...

*spoiler alert*

olivia was sedated by the doctor in the room,he cleary says that he gave her a sedative...they thought they got the killer,most movies where they think they got him/her/it,always has these moments where everyone lets their guard down...the attic is the one and only gripe i have about the movie,but the girl in the chair is very much worth it...one of the most beautiful images in horror...

*spoilers end*
                            http://www.myspace.com/mehemfilms

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=mehem (d)

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=5&id=mehem (v)

http://cd-tracker.com/item_list_v2.a...C+title%5Fitem

Comment

You and N2N are gonna be great FRIENDS, I can tell.

You can both quote each other to death and save us all.

Cry all you like Newb, Black Christmas doesn't explain ANYTHING and that makes it suck. Michael Myers is a horror icon, "Billy" is a minor blip on the horror radar screen. Halloween spawned 7 sequels, Black Christmas fell off the face of the Earth and into obscurity.

In Black Christmas, you don't even know what the fuck he's rambling about on the phone. What's the point? Why is a phone in the attic? How can he scream into the phone like a retard and not be heard by any of the girls underneath? He was a normal human being? How the fuck do you know, they never said anything? He clearly wasn't sane by his rants on the phone.

Face it, Halloween was the highest grossing independant horror film for 20 years. Michael Myers is a horror icon. Black Christmas is a poorly written piece of B movie garbage and easily forgotten by most.

Not EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE EXPLAINED, but atleast give clues or hints, Black Christmas does neither. I can make a movie about nothing, and somewhere some movie asshole internet guru will love it even though I put zero effort into it and make up reasons why I did a shitty job or writing.

Feel free, quote me again to death, N2N will appreciate it.
                              Last edited by kiddcapone; 01-07-2006, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X