John Carpenter's The Thing (1982)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Carpenter's The Thing (1982)

This is my favorite horror movie by far. The other thread got locked, so I get to repost this one.

Wikipedia -

The Thing (also known as John Carpenter's The Thing) is a 1982 horror film directed by John Carpenter, written by Bill Lancaster, and starring Kurt Russell. The film's title refers to its primary antagonist: a parasitic extraterrestrial lifeform that assimilates other organisms and in turn imitates them. The Thing infiltrates an Antarctic research station, taking the appearance of the researchers that it absorbs, and paranoia occurs within the group.

Ostensibly a remake of the 1951 Howard Hawks–Christian Nyby film The Thing from Another World, Carpenter's film is in fact an adaptation more faithful in its premise and characters to the novella Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell, Jr. which inspired the 1951 film, and not a remake in the conventional sense. Carpenter considers The Thing to be the first part of his Apocalypse Trilogy,[1] followed by Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness. Although the films are unrelated, each features a potentially apocalyptic scenario; should "The Thing" ever reach civilization, it would be only a matter of time before it consumes humanity and takes over the Earth.

On June 25, 1982, The Thing opened #8 in 840 theaters and remained in the top ten box office for three weeks.[2] The lower-than-expected performance has been attributed to many factors, including Steven Spielberg's E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, which was released at the same time and features a more optimistic view of alien visitation.[3][4][5][6] However, The Thing has gone on to gain a cult following with the release on home video. The film was subsequently novelized in 1982; adapted into a comic book miniseries in 1991 and published by Dark Horse Comics titled, The Thing From Another World; a 2002 video game sequel titled The Thing, and a prequel film with the same title, released on October 14, 2011.
    Last edited by Caustic Coffee; 10-15-2012, 11:44 AM.

A shape shifting alien, Kurt Russell, John Carpenter and some of the best special effects ever seen in a horror film, even by today's standards.

What's not to love ?

Comment

This is my second fav horror movie of all time, this movie is great

Comment

Originally posted by Fanofhorror View Post
        Out of curiousty, what's the first?

Comment

Originally posted by Nightmare View Post
          Out of curiousty, what's the first?
          it's Braindead AKA Dead Alive.

Comment

All time favorite with all the ingredients a horror film should have imo: gore claustrophobia, suspense and paranoia! From this day I never saw any horror-alien-movie coming close to this cold masterpiece , besides the Alien franchise

Comment

One of my top films ever.Not just for horror.

This movie is perfect.I wouldnt change a "thing" about it.Its flawless.

Comment

This movie is pretty amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Seven View Post
                  All time favorite with all the ingredients a horror film should have imo: gore claustrophobia, suspense and paranoia! From this day I never saw any horror-alien-movie coming close to this cold masterpiece , besides the Alien franchise
                  Agree with that 100%. Hey, what movie is that clip from in your post??

Comment

Third for me.

You didn't let me finish. I'm not gonna hurt you, I'm gonna bash your brains in!

Comment

it's Braindead AKA Dead Alive.
                      Same here.

The Thing is an excellent film. One of my favorite horror films from the 80's.

Comment

This is my favorite horror movie of all time, and its the movie that i rate all horror movies(atleast the creature/monster ones) too, it has a great setting, awesome cast, great director, and it keeps you guessing about who is the thing and give clues that everybody might be, and it has a great and fitting ending as well.

what's the opinion on this prequel/remake or whatever its being labeled that's coming out?
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDreknowsbest

Comment

Originally posted by Dillon View Post
                          This is my favorite horror movie of all time, and its the movie that i rate all horror movies(atleast the creature/monster ones) too, it has a great setting, awesome cast, great director, and it keeps you guessing about who is the thing and give clues that everybody might be, and it has a great and fitting ending as well.

what's the opinion on this prequel/remake or whatever its being labeled that's coming out?
                          I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it'll be a good time. I don't even care if they use CGI, if I want mind-blowing effects I'll watch the original.

You didn't let me finish. I'm not gonna hurt you, I'm gonna bash your brains in!

Comment

Originally posted by Dillon View Post

I'll give it a chance. I'm not getting my hopes high for it because I don't want to be let down if it sucks.

Comment

I loved this movie, I have to say that i liked the original better. That being said John carpenter is the only one who could have remade this movie, and make it badass as it is.

And to whover said braindead was their favorite movie... Hell ya that movie rocks!
                              sigpicIm a man who loves his taffy

Comment

Working...
                              X