Near Dark (1987)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Near Dark (1987)

Tagline: Killing you would be easy, they'd rather terrify you...forever.

Plot Outline: A young man reluctantly joins a travelling "family" of evil vampires, when the girl he'd tried to seduce is part of that group.

Cast overview, first billed only:
    Adrian Pasdar .... Caleb Colton
    Jenny Wright .... Mae
    Lance Henriksen .... Jesse Hooker
    Bill Paxton .... Severen
    Jenette Goldstein .... Diamondback
    Tim Thomerson .... Loy Colton
    Joshua John Miller .... Homer
    Marcie Leeds .... Sarah Colton
    Kenny Call .... Deputy Sheriff
    Ed Corbett .... Ticket Seller
    Troy Evans .... Plainclothes Officer
    Bill Cross .... Sheriff Eakers
    Roger Aaron Brown .... Cajun Truck Driver
    Thomas Wagner .... Bartender
    Robert Winley .... Patron in Bar

Having just watched this excellent horror film,what is everyones thoughts on this "other vampire flick that came out the same time as The Lost Boys"?
    Also there is talks of a "remake".

Only problem I had, was Spoiler with the blood transfusion. It was just too damn easy,and Mae I think should have parished at the end.
    Latest Movies
    The Hustler-5/5
    Running Scared-3.5/5
    The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada-4.5/5
    Date Movie-1/5
    Rent-2/5
    Domino-0.5/5
    North Country-3/5

Great flick with a poor ending.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ripper
      There you go.It all was on a roll...........then came that ending. The climax (demise) of the vampires was very well handled,but that just a nit-pick I guess. Also,I like how they didnt have all the usual "Vamp Cliches".
      Latest Movies
      The Hustler-5/5
      Running Scared-3.5/5
      The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada-4.5/5
      Date Movie-1/5
      Rent-2/5
      Domino-0.5/5
      North Country-3/5

Comment

I thought the flick overall was pretty poor. I had pretty high expectations after hearing about it and I blind-bought the DVD and I have never watched it again since I bought it about 2 years ago.

Can't say that the movie sucks, cause it doesn't, but the movie is trying to be more complicated than it really is and in the end it's just a big mess. Everything isn't bad though, the bar scene and the shootout was some great stuffs.

Besides that and Paxton's character, this movie aint much to "hooray" for. Would never recommend this to someone.
        "Enjoy pain. Enjoy the good shit. Enjoy everything, because before you know it you'll be mingling with worms in the dirt."
        - Zombie Commando

Comment

I really like the movie, but even though I understand why they did it...the ending did annoy the shit out of me.
          Wii: 2401 9155 1089 4233
          MK Wii: 2020-0595-4746
          My DVDs
          Facebook
          MySpace

Comment

I thought this was a cool movie, and I like that they were not the typical hollywood movie vampires. That bar scene was the best. The ending wasn't the greatest, and I think that could have been better. I wonder if the remake would make a better ending.
            Blood is thickest when love is bold, but blood runs thin when the heart grows cold.

Comment

Most likely a few spoilers so beware..

As much as I dig the movie, a few things just annoy the fuck out of me about it.. like the blood transfusions.. or the fact that these vampires (some of whom have been so for over a hundred years) just can't seem to keep their asses out of the sun.. especially in regards to the end of the movie. I realize they were under extreme circumstances but you'd think they'd of still been on top of that shit.. Was just a cheap ass way to go out, that and I felt the love story portion came off somewhat predictable and hokey.

The thing that keeps me coming back is the vampires themselves, especially henriksen.. he was just cool as fuck.
              Last edited by Count Dragula; 01-17-2006, 04:57 PM.
              Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

Personally, I'm not a huge vampire fan. But this is easily my favorite vamp movie. I love the cowboy/western feel and Paxton and Hendricksen are awesome as always.
                If you get the DVD, be sure to check out the hour-long documentary on Disc 2. Lots of goofy stories and stuff from the cast.

Comment

I love this movie just finished watching it earlier with my son its right behind From Dusk Till Dawn of my fav vampire flicks.

Comment

this is most likely my favorite vampire movie... it sure beats lost boys by many leagues!
                    [XBOXLIVE]KenslerDK[/XBOXLIVE]

Comment

Originally posted by Hyakotake
                      this is most likely my favorite vampire movie... it sure beats lost boys by many leagues!
                      I couldn't agree more. Henrikson and Paxton are cool as hell in this flick and even though I will admit the ending was a bit cut & dry, The Lost Boys ending sucked as well. The main vampire in The Lost Boys was a major letdown in my eyes.
                      My DVD Aficionado 2.0

Comment

The Lost Boys is a great movie but Near Dark is way more meaner. But over them yeah Lost Boys is shit to me anyways compared to Near Dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Count Dragula
                          or the fact that these vampires (some of whom have been so for over a hundred years) just can't seem to keep their asses out of the sun.
                          Easy, dont call them vampires. This movie tried to be "different".

I thought this movie was...ok. It was nothing special and i dont see what the fuss is all about. The characters had good back stories and good developement, but the story was poor. It just didnt keep my interest long enough to care. I also liked the musical score for this movie. It fit the mood and feel of the movie.
                          Last edited by ColdCase; 01-17-2006, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdCase
                            Easy, dont call them vampires. This movie tried to be "different".
                            Well try as they did, they're still vampires.
                            Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Ripper
                              That pretty much sums it up.
                              "I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other."

- Frankenstein's Monster.

Comment

Working...
                              X