Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Fly (1986)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    This is one of my favourite films; it is quite remarkable the way Cronenberg transforms the original hackneyed premise into a genuinely moving and intellectually interesting film ... the meditations on male sexual insecurity, the excellent special effects – and the way Jeff Goldblum reacts to his own decomposition ... a really terrific film in my opinion.
    Last edited by Blood Hunger; 03-27-2006, 06:03 AM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Blood Hunger
      This is one of my favourite films; it is quite remarkable the way Cronenberg transforms the original hackneyed premise into a genuinely moving and intellectually interesting film ... the meditations on male sexual insecurity, the excellent special effects and the way Jeff Goldblum reacts to his own decomposition ... a really terrific film in my opinion.
      aren't all of Cronenberg's movies sexual in some way or another? The Fly is by far one of the most emotionally driven drama's that can gross you out at the same time. Fly2 is ok on a guilty pleasure level but it just doesn't have the weight of the original. I for one have yet to be dissapointed by this guy. History of Violence....Existenz....keep em coming...I just wish he would make films more frequently and not so sporadic.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by NanaharaShuya
        I just wish he would make films more frequently and not so sporadic.
        He's got two on the go...

        Map to the Stars
        London Fields

        Letterbox'd - Horror Etc - The Hysteria Continues - Film Junk - GGTMC

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by NanaharaShuya
          aren't all of Cronenberg's movies sexual in some way or another? The Fly is by far one of the most emotionally driven drama's that can gross you out at the same time. Fly2 is ok on a guilty pleasure level but it just doesn't have the weight of the original. I for one have yet to be dissapointed by this guy. History of Violence....Existenz....keep em coming...I just wish he would make films more frequently and not so sporadic.
          Yes, they are often like that, I agree; The Fly is the most emotional and poignant of them though, I think although it is not actually my favourite Cronenberg film.

          I really like the movies he's making lately they are still interesting and often difficult films, but I also would like him to make more ... and too it would be nice to see him return to that place in Horror/SF where he is considered so important.

          Apparently he is working on an adaptation of Martin Amis's novel London Fields. I really like that book, so I was surprised and interested when I heard that DC was taking it on...
          Last edited by Blood Hunger; 03-27-2006, 09:12 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Great flick. Brundle truly is one of cinema's most tragic characters. To see a brilliant mind waste away into that of a monster's truly is gut wrenchingly chilling.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by NanaharaShuya
              I just wish he would make films more frequently and not so sporadic.
              Maybe he has a hard time getting them greenlit because they're so different from anything else?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by CJ_01976
                Maybe he has a hard time getting them greenlit because they're so different from anything else?
                Nah, he's had two thrown at him since the success of Violence, and his films aren't sporadic, he's made one at least every three years since 1975.
                Last edited by mR_BuNgLe; 03-27-2006, 09:45 PM.

                Letterbox'd - Horror Etc - The Hysteria Continues - Film Junk - GGTMC

                Comment


                • #23
                  A 3 year span between films is a long time. And of course he'd have more projects thrown at him since "Violence", it was critically acclaimed more than any other film he has done and was evne Oscar-nominated. Any studio would want to capitalize on that.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by CJ_01976
                    A 3 year span between films is a long time.
                    But it's not sporadic, and three years isn't a long between films, especially when each are of high quality like Cronenberg's are. Be patient.

                    And of course he'd have more projects thrown at him since "Violence", it was critically acclaimed more than any other film he has done and was evne Oscar-nominated. Any studio would want to capitalize on that.
                    So he obviously doesn't have a hard time getting them greenlit then with two in the works.
                    Last edited by mR_BuNgLe; 03-27-2006, 10:25 PM.

                    Letterbox'd - Horror Etc - The Hysteria Continues - Film Junk - GGTMC

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I'm just shocked that now Cronenberg gets the respect of Hollywood. What took them so long?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by CJ_01976
                        I'm just shocked that now Cronenberg gets the respect of Hollywood. What took them so long?
                        Fuck Hollywood, they're a bunch conservative pussies who don't takes risks. None of Cronenberg's flicks are of the Hollywood vein, and I hope they stay that way.

                        Letterbox'd - Horror Etc - The Hysteria Continues - Film Junk - GGTMC

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Yeah I know what you mean, Hollywood relies too much on formula. Cronenberg is too 'out there' for them.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            The Fly one of Cronenberg's masterpieces, brilliant movie.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              wanting him to make more is wishful thinking....but Im glad he does them the way he does and refuses to compromise his vision. The white picket fence thing he did with Violence worked for Lynch when he did it with Blue Velvet....Americans like to watch fucked up surburbia...it makes it personable.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by NanaharaShuya
                                wanting him to make more is wishful thinking...
                                It's also a good thing he doesn't. A film every three years is impressive, especially when for the most part they've all been great. It's a long process, considering they started to shoot History back in early 2004, not to mention when Cronenberg signed on.

                                * awesome sig by the way.

                                Letterbox'd - Horror Etc - The Hysteria Continues - Film Junk - GGTMC

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X