No announcement yet.

Jack Ketchum novels/films

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read TGND before I saw the movie and loved the book. I am not a big reader but that book got me hooked.

What other Ketchem novels do you guys recommend? Something as disturbing and gripping as GND would be good.
    My DVDs

Comment

Originally posted by alanray View Post
      Thanks for the input. I think I'm just about ready.
      YAY! Let me know what you think of the movie after you watch it. I'm sure you'll love it.

Originally posted by randomZERO View Post
      Yeah there are a couple cringe-worthy moments in that movie. Its sad to know people like that exist.
      I know eh? But yeah. it totally happens to people. some people are just that crazy fucked up.

*sig by Brainfreeeeeze*

My Amazing DVD Collection

Comment

Originally posted by ally_darling View Post
        i just read The Offspring. what a fucked up book. Seriously. When I was done I was left thinking "WTF!" But it was good. I know I'll read it again eventually.
        You read "Off Season", right? "Offspring" is the sequel to that. A movie based on "Off Season" would be interesting, although it might unfairly suffer from being called derivative. The book was written nearly 30 years ago, before the whole "inbred cannibal family" got done a lot more. It's actually based on the same true crime story that inspired "Hills Have Eyes" - that of Sawney Bean.

Comment

Originally posted by hardhousehead View Post
          I read TGND before I saw the movie and loved the book. I am not a big reader but that book got me hooked.

What other Ketchem novels do you guys recommend? Something as disturbing and gripping as GND would be good.
          Read The Off Season and Off Spring (Sequal) messed up, but a fun read.
          Originally posted by ZantiMisfit View Post
          You read "Off Season", right? "Offspring" is the sequel to that. A movie based on "Off Season" would be interesting, although it might unfairly suffer from being called derivative. The book was written nearly 30 years ago, before the whole "inbred cannibal family" got done a lot more. It's actually based on the same true crime story that inspired "Hills Have Eyes" - that of Sawney Bean.
          I heard that they were supposedly doing a Off Spring movie, but not Off Season (different people own the rights and the people who own the rights for Off Spring started to work on the movie). That was awhile ago now that I heard about it (I think I read that on this site awhile ago)and it might be dead in the water at the moment.

Comment

I got into Ketchum recently, after he was interviewed for my site. I can't link to the interview yet, but just Google "Jack Ketchum Chuck Palahniuk interview".

I watched "The Girl Next Door" but was a little disappointed by it. I felt the acting and chemistry between cast left a lot to be desired.

I then read "Right To Love," once of his novellas, and liked it a lot.

I'm now about a third of the way into "The Lost," and also digging it. I'll check out the adaptation of it next, and then "Red" as well, which I hear is great.
            www.chuckpalahniuk.net
            www.parallacticpictures.com

Comment

TGND movie was a very good adaption of the book.Far better than An American Crime which was also about the Sylvia Likens story.The Lost was a so-so book and the movie was as well.I wish the movie also included the aftermath of Ray going to prison that the book did.I think Ketchum's short stories are far better than his novels and would make for some very good movies.You all need to check out Peaceable Kingdom a collection of some of his stories.Also The Passenger would make a great movie as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ally_darling View Post
                YAY! Let me know what you think of the movie after you watch it. I'm sure you'll love it.
                Ally, I just finished watching TGND. What a powerful experience. A harrowing, heartbreaking story, but restrained in it's visuals and in some small way redeemed by David's compassion and haunting memories of Meg. Auntie Ruth is one of the screen's most vivid monsters, and her matter-of-fact rationalizations for all manner of cruelty and depravity make it hard to forget that such people really do exist. Strong stuff. I am in your debt.
                Last edited by alanray; 02-12-2009, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Ketchum is my favorite author. Does anyone know if he is doing anymore books?

I just want to see one thing in TGND book I thought that Eddie pissing on Meg and forcing dog feces down her throat was a litte over the top.

Comment

I don't think I could sit through the movie TGND; maybe I'll give the book a shot. Red and The Lost also sound like good reads. Thanks for the recs, all.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie_PhD View Post
                      I don't think I could sit through the movie TGND; maybe I'll give the book a shot. Red and The Lost also sound like good reads. Thanks for the recs, all.
                      I was also reluctant to watch TGND but I'm glad I did. This is in no sleazy exploitation. The subject matter is horrifying but the film is very restrained in what it shows. There is heart and humanity in this film, and I hope you will reconsider.

Comment

Originally posted by alanray View Post
                        I was also reluctant to watch TGND but I'm glad I did. This is in no sleazy exploitation. The subject matter is horrifying but the film is very restrained in what it shows. There is heart and humanity in this film, and I hope you will reconsider.
                        Yeah, the book is ten times worse.

Comment

As much as I'm looking forward to The Offspring film, I would rather see a movie made from Off Season. That's one of my all time favorite books.

www.bloodwavedvd.com

Comment

Originally posted by voodoo79 View Post
                            the girl next door was the hardest movie i ever watched it bothered me alot
                            I can't bring it to myself to watch that one. I read the book, that was disturbing enough. That book lives under my bed. It made me so sick, I threw it under there after I read it. It's damn good though.
                            GOD DAMN NAM'S WHAT HAPPENED! GO GET ME A BEER, BITCH!

i'm pretty sure The Reverend Horton Heat is one of the best bands that has ever lived. Psychobilly is the shit, and Rev. puts on one of the best live shows in existence.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ZantiMisfit View Post
                              When this book came out it was very censored but the uncensored versions are the best. These 2 books are I like a lot, love the detailed gory imagery.
                              Originally posted by mmyersisgod View Post
                              Yeah, the book is ten times worse.
                              You know this is inspired by a true story? The movie that is more true to the crime which it is based on is worse.
                              "I will do what Queens do. I will rule."

Comment

I need to read Off Season but can never find it.
                                I guess I'll have to order it.

Comment

Working...
                                X