Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

George A. Romero's Land of the Dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Machine Gun Zombie View Post
    his zombies were evolving to be much more than just walking husks, which made them far more interesting than the zombies of other horror films whose ultimate goal was just to eat you.
    Meh I prefer those ones, I'm just not into the ahh.. poor old living dead, aren't they sad take on zombies. The few scenes in the original Dawn were cool, but enough already.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Beyond View Post
      Meh I prefer those ones, I'm just not into the ahh.. poor old living dead, aren't they sad take on zombies. The few scenes in the original Dawn were cool, but enough already.
      I'm not talking about the emotional involvement with the zombies. I mean their evolution in the series from just walking vessels to creatures that could actually remember how to operate tools and perform actions as they would when they were alive. Things that they would have been too dumb to do in the earlier films. I was hoping that if Romero had continued with a sequel to Land that the zombies would have eventually start to develop as a community or tribe if you will, and started performing more complex actions and actually using tactics in taking people down. I mean could you imagine zombies that set traps or use stealth? It may sound cheesy, but hell I'm sick of seeing the same old dumb zombies. I think it could have worked. Also it would have further hit home the theory hinted at in Day of the Dead that humanity was "restarting" in a way since people were getting "too big for their britches" as one character stated.




      Right, 'cause the world is just buzzing about this 4th entry to an already tired franchise. I can't seem to go anywhere without hearing about Jurassic World. It's the next Hunger Games.

      $30 - $40 million opening weekend if they're lucky, and then out of existence it will quickly go. Count on it.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Machine Gun Zombie View Post
        I'm not talking about the emotional involvement with the zombies. I mean their evolution in the series from just walking vessels to creatures that could actually remember how to operate tools and perform actions as they would when they were alive. Things that they would have been too dumb to do in the earlier films. I was hoping that if Romero had continued with a sequel to Land that the zombies would have eventually start to develop as a community or tribe if you will, and started performing more complex actions and actually using tactics in taking people down. I mean could you imagine zombies that set traps or use stealth? It may sound cheesy, but hell I'm sick of seeing the same old dumb zombies. I think it could have worked. Also it would have further hit home the theory hinted at in Day of the Dead that humanity was "restarting" in a way since people were getting "too big for their britches" as one character stated.
        It's all down to personal preference I guess, I didn't mind the zombies using rocks and tools to break windows in the first two movies, but Zombies using stealth and traps, no thanks. It's all moving too far away from what makes them a "zombie" in the first place IMO.

        I'm with Dr. Millard Rausch from Dawn


        "Intelligence? Seemingly little or no reasoning power, but basic skills remain a more remembered behaviors from normal life. There are reports of these creatures using tools. But even these actions are the most primitive, the use of external articles as bludgeons and so forth. I might point out to you that even animals will adopt the basic use of tools in this manner. These creatures are nothing but pure, motorized instinct. We must not be lulled by the concept that these are our family members or our friends. They are not. They will not respond to such emotions.

        They must be destroyed on sight!"

        Comment


        • i actually liked the helicopter shots of the rundown city with no people around except some zombies.
          a decent zombie movie. no patch on the first two and slightly less effective than day of the dead. but still it was entertaining and the cameos(pegg and wright) were fun. the headless zombie scene was actually creepy.
          though i must say that the lead zombie character was a bit over-exposed and the ending was underwhelming.

          7/10. watchable. not very scary but has its moments and isnt a complete waste of time.
          BASTARD!! BASTARD!! BASTARD!!!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Beyond View Post
            It's all down to personal preference I guess, I didn't mind the zombies using rocks and tools to break windows in the first two movies, but Zombies using stealth and traps, no thanks. It's all moving too far away from what makes them a "zombie" in the first place IMO.

            I'm with Dr. Millard Rausch from Dawn


            "Intelligence? Seemingly little or no reasoning power, but basic skills remain a more remembered behaviors from normal life. There are reports of these creatures using tools. But even these actions are the most primitive, the use of external articles as bludgeons and so forth. I might point out to you that even animals will adopt the basic use of tools in this manner. These creatures are nothing but pure, motorized instinct. We must not be lulled by the concept that these are our family members or our friends. They are not. They will not respond to such emotions.

            They must be destroyed on sight!"
            I'm with you, brother man!
            sigpic "The dream you can't escape ALIVE!"

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Beyond View Post
              It's all down to personal preference I guess, I didn't mind the zombies using rocks and tools to break windows in the first two movies, but Zombies using stealth and traps, no thanks. It's all moving too far away from what makes them a "zombie" in the first place IMO.

              I'm with Dr. Millard Rausch from Dawn


              "Intelligence? Seemingly little or no reasoning power, but basic skills remain a more remembered behaviors from normal life. There are reports of these creatures using tools. But even these actions are the most primitive, the use of external articles as bludgeons and so forth. I might point out to you that even animals will adopt the basic use of tools in this manner. These creatures are nothing but pure, motorized instinct. We must not be lulled by the concept that these are our family members or our friends. They are not. They will not respond to such emotions.

              They must be destroyed on sight!"
              Yeah, I get why it would seem silly, but if handled right it could make for some really tense confrontations. Not really talkin' genius zombies, but more along the lines of having caveman logic. I love traditional zombies, but I'd love to see what happens when they start remembering too much. It's one of the reasons I'm really pissed that Romero just restarted the franchise instead of continuing down the line.




              Right, 'cause the world is just buzzing about this 4th entry to an already tired franchise. I can't seem to go anywhere without hearing about Jurassic World. It's the next Hunger Games.

              $30 - $40 million opening weekend if they're lucky, and then out of existence it will quickly go. Count on it.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Machine Gun Zombie View Post
                I love traditional zombies, but I'd love to see what happens when they start remembering too much. It's one of the reasons I'm really pissed that Romero just restarted the franchise instead of continuing down the line.
                See I love the touch of Flyboy Zombie making his way back to the loft and even attempting to close the door behind him in Dawn, but I wasn't a massive fan of Bub in Day.

                But then who are we to tell Romero what to do with his movies? Although apparently he's always open to suggestions on his sets.

                Comment


                • Not great movie, i did enjoy some part of the movie

                  Comment


                  • good gory fun with a fine cast.

                    7/10

                    Comment


                    • This one gets a lot of hate, but I like it. Loved Dennis Hopper in it. He was always a lot of fun to watch in anything he did.

                      Comment


                      • Land of the Dead (2005) - slightly underrated.. I really like it how you sympathise with the dead in this one, and wanted to see them fuck things up. The humans are royal bastards. My only problem is with Simon Baker, who makes a boring lead.. everyone else did great, though, especially John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper. A really relevant social commentary behind this, as well, that I wish was in more movies. 8/10

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by CountOrlok View Post
                          Land of the Dead (2005) - slightly underrated.. I really like it how you sympathise with the dead in this one, and wanted to see them fuck things up. The humans are royal bastards. My only problem is with Simon Baker, who makes a boring lead.. everyone else did great, though, especially John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper. A really relevant social commentary behind this, as well, that I wish was in more movies. 8/10
                          Solid flick and Asia Argento should have gotten more American work because of it! Definitely a gem though
                          <a href=https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNs0YcCVAAEiEHI.jpg target=_blank>https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNs0YcCVAAEiEHI.jpg</a>
                          R.I.P.

                          Comment


                          • This movie is underrated.



                            This has been Obey's random thread Necro of the day.
                            *floats away on magical umbrella*




                            Right, 'cause the world is just buzzing about this 4th entry to an already tired franchise. I can't seem to go anywhere without hearing about Jurassic World. It's the next Hunger Games.

                            $30 - $40 million opening weekend if they're lucky, and then out of existence it will quickly go. Count on it.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ObeySleepConform View Post
                              This movie is underrated.



                              This has been Obey's random thread Necro of the day.
                              *floats away on magical umbrella*
                              I agree- I just wish the zombies weren't so HUMAN-IE.

                              Comment


                              • This movie blows chunks. Not as much as Diary of the Dead, of course, but its still pretty awful. For me, Romero's Dead movies exist in two trilogies, one of which is immortal, the other dead on arrival. At least we got a great game out of this horrid pile of filth. Land of the Dead: The Road to Fiddler's Green is one of my favorite games on the original X-Box. It featured puking and exploding zombies way before Left For Dead made such things fashionable.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X