George A. Romero's Land of the Dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dukefrukem View Post
    I agree- I just wish the zombies weren't so HUMAN-IE.
    i actually love land of the dead more each time i see it, and the human-ieness of the zombies are, i think romero's point, and always has been. we--humans--are the real monsters of the world. as the zombies evolve with each movie, we are hit over the head with this point with more intensity. and this is also why i loved survival of the dead, because we build on the notion set forth in dawn, of people keeping their dead loved ones near, that being a zombie doesn't erase who you are, or what you meant to someone else.

i love big daddy, and is horde of pissed of class warriors. oh, to see the rich get eaten, is truly satisfying.

2015 all-genre draft
    1. hero at large (1980)
    2. mystery men (1999)
    3. super (2010)
    4. the return of swamp thing (1989)
    5. batman returns (1992)
    6, spider-man strikes back (197
    7. the specials (2000)
    8. darkman (1990)
    9. supergirl (1984)
    10. defendor (2009)

Comment

• I like Land of the Dead. Not as much as the original three movies but a whole lot more than Diary and the somehow worse Survival of the Dead.

When I decide to watch the Romero films I usually watch the original trilogy and kind of forget about Land. It's not that its bad it just feels like a separate story to the original three. Because of that I usually brush it aside.

Comment

• Originally posted by zigwardScissorHands View Post
        I like Land of the Dead. Not as much as the original three movies but a whole lot more than Diary and the somehow worse Survival of the Dead.

When I decide to watch the Romero films I usually watch the original trilogy and kind of forget about Land. It's not that its bad it just feels like a separate story to the original three. Because of that I usually brush it aside.
        I forgot Land existed, and I forgot that Romero directed it. I somehow remember Survival more because of the shitty reputation it holds.

Haven't seen it since I was like nine or ten. Should get around to it again sometime.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
        I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• I've seen this but don't remember much about it.. and I'e never even layed eyes on Diary or Survival, as a Romero fan I probably should but something tells me to stay very far away from both!

AG DRAFT 2015

1. Requiem for a Dream (2000) - D. Aronofsky
          2. Birdman (2014) - A. González Iñárritu
          3. Dazed and Confused (1993) - R. Linklater
          4. There Will Be Blood (2007) - P. T. Anderson
          5. Thirst (2009) - C. Park
          6. Dead Man's Shoes (2004) - S. Meadows
          7. Pusher (1996) - N. Winding Refn
          8. Gomorrah (2008 ) - M. Garrone
          9. The Way of the Gun (2000) - C. McQuarrie
          10. Sexy Beast (2000) - J. Glazer

Comment

• Originally posted by BoOMST1CK View Post
            I've seen this but don't remember much about it.. and I'e never even layed eyes on Diary or Survival, as a Romero fan I probably should but something tells me to stay very far away from both!
            i'm gonna tell ya, as a lifelong romero fan, see diary and survival and decide for yourself. i happen to like both films immensely. they advance george's ruminations on death and humanity, while getting really small and personal. survival is essentially a wacky remake of big country, and really works for me. and land is just fabulous and gets better with each viewing.

2015 all-genre draft
            1. hero at large (1980)
            2. mystery men (1999)
            3. super (2010)
            4. the return of swamp thing (1989)
            5. batman returns (1992)
            6, spider-man strikes back (197
            7. the specials (2000)
            8. darkman (1990)
            9. supergirl (1984)
            10. defendor (2009)

Comment

• Originally posted by nancylives! View Post
              i actually love land of the dead more each time i see it, and the human-ieness of the zombies are, i think romero's point, and always has been. we--humans--are the real monsters of the world. as the zombies evolve with each movie, we are hit over the head with this point with more intensity. and this is also why i loved survival of the dead, because we build on the notion set forth in dawn, of people keeping their dead loved ones near, that being a zombie doesn't erase who you are, or what you meant to someone else.

i love big daddy, and is horde of pissed of class warriors. oh, to see the rich get eaten, is truly satisfying.

The practical effects (disregarding the CGI because it's awful) are outstanding. KNB proved they were the new Savini with this one. And I've always liked the fact that his zombies evolved. Not ridiculously so, as it's not like they started performing precise functions with extreme accuracy, but more in a primitive caveman like manner, because they were slowly recalling their old lives and the various things they used to do. It made sense to me.

Plus dat Asia Argento

Right, 'cause the world is just buzzing about this 4th entry to an already tired franchise. I can't seem to go anywhere without hearing about Jurassic World. It's the next Hunger Games.

$30 - $40 million opening weekend if they're lucky, and then out of existence it will quickly go. Count on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by zigwardScissorHands View Post
                I like Land of the Dead. Not as much as the original three movies but a whole lot more than Diary and the somehow worse Survival of the Dead.

Exactly how it is when I watch the Romero films during Halloween or another time. I'll watch Night and Dawn, maybe Day but Land I just don't care to watch it with the rest. The only times I ever watch Land really is if its on IFC at night.
                “I know you’re ‘good’ people. I know you mean well… But you just didn’t think it through…. There is only one path to peace… Your extermination.” - Ultron (Avengers: Age of Ultron)

Comment

Working...
                X