• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piranha 3D (2010)

Thurs., Mar. 15, 2007, 3:32pm PT

Aja bites into 'Piranha'
    Director to remake horror parody
    By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK

Dimension Films has hired French filmmaker Alexandre Aja to direct a remake of "Piranha," Joe Dante's 1978 dark parody of Steven Spielberg's "Jaws" that was followed by a sequel from James Cameron.

Atmosphere's Mark Canton ("300"), IPW's Marc Toberoff and Gregory Levasseur are producing the stylized horror-comedy. Pete Goldfinger and Josh Stolberg penned the script, with Aja planning a rewrite.

Aja, part of a group of up-and-coming horror filmmakers known as the Splat Packers, has a distinct vision in updating "Piranha," saying he wants to pay homage to all the "creature films that made me fall in love with the genre."

Updated story takes place at Lake Havasu, Ariz., a favorite destination for partying spring breakers. When a tremor causes the ground to open up beneath the lake, chaos and terror break out as ravenous piranhas are released.

"We will maintain the fun and thrilling aspects of the original film but look forward to upping the ante with a modern-day twist," Dimension's Bob Weinstein said.

Toberoff, along with IPW head of production J. Todd Harris, secured the necessary rights and took the project to Atmosphere. Exec producers are Harris, Alix Taylor and Chako Film's Chako van Leeuwen.

Aja was last in theaters with horror-thriller "The Hills Have Eyes" and is in pre-production with New Regency's "Mirrors."

Source

------------------

Aja quoted here:

"My goal is not to remake 'Piranha,' but to create a completely new adventure paying homage to all the 'creatures' films that made me fall in love with the genre," Aja said in the article. "It is the ultimate popcorn movie that pits beer-soaked, sunburned spring breakers against killer, bloodthirsty animals."
    Last edited by mR_BuNgLe; 03-25-2007, 11:56 AM.

Letterbox'd - Horror Etc - The Hysteria Continues - Film Junk - GGTMC

With Alexandre Aja as the director without a doubt this will be good.

I recently got the original on dvd so I gotta see it soon.

If You Can't Find A Friend, Make One

Comment

Piranha is one of my favorite childhood horror films, i'd watch a remake. It could be fun.

I love those old creature based horrors......maybe Aja can redo Amsterdammed.

I hate James Cameron though and don't care or know why he'd do the sequel.

Comment

I will definitly check this out. I love Aja's work. And it'll be interesting to see where he goes with it.

And I love creature features
        2014 Horror Draft:

Psycho (1960) - Alfred Hitchcock
        Bride of Frankenstein (1932) - James Whale
        I Saw the Devil (2010) - Kim Jee-woon
        Body Bags (1993) - John Carpenter
        Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) - Panos Cosmatos
        Halloween II (1981) - Rick Rosenthal
        Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) - David Lynch
        The Descent (2005) - Neil Marshall
        Cemetary Man (1994) - Michele Soavi
        Cabin Fever (2002) - Eli Roth

Comment

With Aja directing, I'm for this remake. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with it.

Comment

I've never really understood this movie, along with Jaws, Lake Placid and other 'vicious animal' movies...just stay out of the damn water.

Anywho, Aja is directing so it'll probably be good...I wouldn't mind seeing a modernized version of people be nibbled to death by piranhas.

Forward, not permanent, sweet, not lasting.

Comment

Like everyone else said, WIth Aja directing who knows what could happen. I'll check it out. I had terrible hopes for The Hills Have Eyes remake and he proved me wrong, and High Tension...well its High Tension it kicks ass.

Comment

Originally posted by cKy1711 View Post
                Like everyone else said, WIth Aja directing who knows what could happen. I'll check it out. I had terrible hopes for The Hills Have Eyes remake and he proved me wrong, and High Tension...well its High Tension it kicks ass.
                My thoughts exactly on all counts.

Comment

Aja directing is a truly exceptional decision. The original is great fun, and a remake is due. But will they play it for laughs?

Comment

Originally posted by SirStoneyOfBow View Post
                    But will they play it for laughs?
                    I hope so. I hope it's completely outrageous...

Comment

Originally posted by mR_BuNgLe View Post
                      I hope so. I hope it's completely outrageous...
                      As do I.

Off-topic, but does Aja have any original screenplays up his sleeve he's planning on making? (I have no problem with remakes btw).
                      2014 Horror Draft:

Psycho (1960) - Alfred Hitchcock
                      Bride of Frankenstein (1932) - James Whale
                      I Saw the Devil (2010) - Kim Jee-woon
                      Body Bags (1993) - John Carpenter
                      Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) - Panos Cosmatos
                      Halloween II (1981) - Rick Rosenthal
                      Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) - David Lynch
                      The Descent (2005) - Neil Marshall
                      Cemetary Man (1994) - Michele Soavi
                      Cabin Fever (2002) - Eli Roth

Comment

I'm looking forward to this flick for sure. Been a long time since I've seen the first two so maybe it's time for a Piranha night.

Comment

Aja is one I don't mind seeing make remakes.

Usually it pisses me off, but Aja always does a superb job at his movies, so I doubt I'll be disappointed.

Comment

This will actually be the second remake of this film. I have had a hard time finding any information about it, but I recently saw a remake of Piranah on a Sunday afternoon movie and it featured a young Milla Kunis of THAT 70's SHOW fame. It was a 1995 Made for TV movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114137/

Comment

Originally posted by I am a HORROR movie!!! View Post
                              Off-topic, but does Aja have any original screenplays up his sleeve he's planning on making?
                              Not anytime soon. He wrote an original screenplay with with his partner in crime Grégory Levasseur called P2, but he's not directing it. Mirrors, his other project staring Kiefer Sutherland, is based on a remake.

Comment

Working...
                              X