Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Others (2001)

No existing thread...

Having seen 1408 recently got me to thinking about the psychological horror film The Others, which I haven't seen in at least a year, but remember it being superb. I saw it in theatres as well, and the audience was genuinely frightened (including myself). I definitely think it's one of the best ghost story movies around, and I often hear it compared to The Ring. So discuss the film here.
    Last edited by mcilroga; 06-25-2007, 12:20 AM.

I liked the movie. I wouldn't call it horror rather mystery of some sort. And I really don't see much parallels with above mentioned the Ring.
    Fun? There is no fun.
    Klaus Kinski

Comment

I love this movie...

Haven't really heard it compared to The Ring though...The only comparisons I could see made there is that they both involve ghosts, and a blonde Australian actress is the lead character.

I HAVE heard it compared to The Sixth Sense though. And frankly I prefer this one over that. The Others actually creeped me out, The Sixth Sense gave me a few jumps. And the endings are somewhat similair...Although with The Sixth Sense I figured it out about halfway through. But The Others final twist threw my ass for a loop...

Now I wanna go watch this movie again...

Actually it WAS Adam and Steve. This is what happens when you read the translation.

Comment

Ah yes, this movie is proof of how to make a genre film that's PG-13 and actually frightening. Notice that there's no teeny-bopper stars and it relies completely on the atmosphere of the secluded and rather creepy mansion. The only problem is that is has a "twist" ending which ruins its replay value.

Otherwise a solid film with decent acting. 8/10 from me.

Mad props to klown for the Pimp Juice.
        My Awesome Band, Yo
        My DVDs, YO!!
        MySpace, yo!
        +4 Trader and climbing!

Comment

I also love this movie. As for 1408... I don't know I just didn't like 1408 as much as I wanted to.

Comment

Movie was good, but I dont think it deserves much attention in a horror forum.

Comment

as hard as i tried to fake being bored, this movie really creeped me out-it was inventive, suspenseful, and provided some good scares, i think a lot of people simply dismissed it because it was pg13 or they thought it was a sixth sense ripoff (untrue, m. night didn't corner the market on confused identity ghosts!)
              "this confession has meant nothing."

Comment

this movie was pretty good ending was wierd though.

Comment

Anyone know what Alejandro Amenabar has been up to lately?
                  Movie Ratings:
                  Tourist Trap - 5.5/10
                  Tucker & Dale vs. Evil - 7/10
                  Lethal Weapon - 8/10
                  The Vanishing '88 - 8.5/10
                  The Masque of the Red Death - 6.5/10

Comment

"are you mad" ? , "I am your daughter. " good line .

Movie had a great twist and was a fresh idea on the ghost story , gave me chills .

Comment

i absolutley loved this film. i saw it in theaters when it came out. its a movie that doest have to jump out at you to scare you. just a creepy movie, that i thought was really great.

Comment

I love this film...it's great and better than that overrated "I see dead people" flick.

If You Can't Find A Friend, Make One

Comment

The Others was fargin awesome! I'm a fan of the movie.
                          www.myspace.com/demented8d

Comment

I thought this movie was alright. I'd watch it again but it wasn't overly wonderful or anything like that.

Comment

I can't believe so many people really like this movie. I think it's alright at best. I simply can't get past Nicole Kidman's acting skills (or rather lack there of). And as for The Sixth Sense....I found that movie far better than this. It made me jump a lot whereas most movies can't and the acting was a lot better.

My dvd collection: http://robzombiefan.dvdaf.com/

Most recently watched movies:
                              Immortals 11/10
                              Crazy Stupid Love 5.5/10
                              Puss in Boots 9.5/10
                              Super 8 9/10

Comment

Working...
                              X