Connect with us

Movies

The Next Installment in the ‘Purge’ Film Franchise Arrives in Theaters Summer 2020

Published

on

The Purge: Election Year

We’re not getting a new Purge movie this year but we’ve learned that the franchise’s fifth installment is coming *next* year, with Universal setting a July 10, 2020 date this week! Interestingly, it will open against Jason Reitman’s Ghostbusters which shares the exact same release. Will one of them move?

At this time, the film is untitled and we don’t yet have any details, though it’s worth noting that with four films and a TV series under the franchise’s belt, it seems creator James DeMonaco has his sights set on calling it a day in the near future. Possibly even with the 2020 film.

I have [the next installment] in my head,” DeMonaco recently told EW. “I think I’m going to write it. I think it’s a great way to end it all. We want to end it all, I think, in this one, and I’m very excited. When I came up with the idea and pitched it to everybody, they seemed psyched, and I think it will be a really cool ending, how we take this one home.”

The First Purge has damn sure proven that the franchise is still incredibly profitable on the big screen, but one has to wonder how much more can possibly be milked from the concept. The fifth film promising to end the bloody experiment might be just what the franchise needs to go out with a serious bang at the box office, and put asses in the seats one more time.

Writer in the horror community since 2008. Editor in Chief of Bloody Disgusting. Owns Eli Roth's prop corpse from Piranha 3D. Has four awesome cats. Still plays with toys.

Movies

‘Drop’ – Violett Beane Joins the Cast of Christopher Landon’s New Thriller

Published

on

Pictured: Violett Beane in 'Death and Other Details' (2024)

Christopher Landon (Happy Death Day, Freaky) is staying busy here in 2024, directing not only the werewolf movie Big Bad but also an upcoming thriller titled Drop.

The project for Blumhouse and Platinum Dunes is being described as a “fast-paced thriller,” and Deadline reports today that Violett Beane (Truth or Dare) has joined the cast.

Newcomer Jacob Robinson has also signed on to star in the mysterious thriller. Previously announced, Meghann Fahy (“White Lotus”) will be leading the cast.

Landon recently teased on Twitter, “This is my love letter to DePalma.”

Jillian Jacobs and Chris Roach wrote the script.

Michael Bay, Jason Blum, Brad Fuller and Cameron Fuller — “who brought the script in to Platinum Dunes” — are producing the upcoming Drop. Sam Lerner is an executive producer.

THR notes, “The film is a Platinum Dunes and Blumhouse production for Universal.”

Continue Reading