Maniac (2013) Remake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just watched this. Didn't like it.

The whole POV thing didn't work for me. Especially the one murder in the middle, where it looses the POV concept. What was that about? I thought they might be doing something with him separating from a split personality, but no, it was more like they just forgot that they were supposed to be in POV.

Agree about the score though, very cool. Very 80's exploitation vibe.

Comment

• Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
      I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Se7en Sins View Post
        Well thought out post bro, I actually notice you pad that post count a lot by doing this.

Comment

• Originally posted by mad_hatter View Post
          Just watched this. Didn't like it.

The whole POV thing didn't work for me. Especially the one murder in the middle, where it looses the POV concept. What was that about? I thought they might be doing something with him separating from a split personality, but no, it was more like they just forgot that they were supposed to be in POV.

Agree about the score though, very cool. Very 80's exploitation vibe.
          What about the POV in the original??

I haven't seen this yet, kinda on the fence about it.

I have a good friend who adores gore flicks (some how she hasn't seen the original). And she wasn't a fan of this film much at all. She said she thought Wood was utterly terrible in the role (a thing I've heard mixed things about).

It's $10 for the blu on Amazon. I might pick it up. Against my better judgement.
          "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
          Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
          My little idiot..

Comment

• Originally posted by oxley View Post
            What about the POV in the original??

I haven't seen this yet, kinda on the fence about it.

I have a good friend who adores gore flicks (some how she hasn't seen the original). And she wasn't a fan of this film much at all. She said she thought Wood was utterly terrible in the role (a thing I've heard mixed things about).

It's $10 for the blu on Amazon. I might pick it up. Against my better judgement.
            This movie is practically flawless and might be my favorite horror flick since Martyrs.

Wood is great, the score is perfect, it's gory as fuck, and well written/directed. Couldn't speak more highly of it.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.

Comment

This movie is practically flawless and might be my favorite horror flick since Martyrs.

Wood is great, the score is perfect, it's gory as fuck, and well written/directed. Couldn't speak more highly of it.
              I found it pretty boring and uninspired. Wood worked well within the limits of the script. The gore is good, despite the film not being "gory as fuck". The script is was ok for what it was, but the story itself, much like that of the original, equates to nothing more than a splatter flick.

If I had to rate it, I'd go 6/10.

Comment

• Little bump

Wow. This was awesome. I haven't seen Elijah Wood be this psychotic since Sin City. He knocked it out of the park in this film. It was damn cool that it showed The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Also, loved that Goodbye Horses was playing. Love that song so much.

Comment

I found it pretty boring and uninspired. Wood worked well within the limits of the script. The gore is good, despite the film not being "gory as fuck". The script is was ok for what it was, but the story itself, much like that of the original, equates to nothing more than a splatter flick.

If I had to rate it, I'd go 6/10.
                  No, it was gory as fuck. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Originally posted by Klownz View Post
                  Little bump

Wow. This was awesome. I haven't seen Elijah Wood be this psychotic since Sin City. He knocked it out of the park in this film. It was damn cool that it showed The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Also, loved that Goodbye Horses was playing. Love that song so much.

That soundtrack >>>

Comment

That soundtrack >>>
                    Agreed.

It was gory as fuck and totally awesome.

Comment

• Netflix has added this to their instant streaming.
                      "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
                      H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

Okay, just so we're clear, for future reference, if you define Manic as "gory as fuck", how do you define Evil Dead (a film that i might consider describing as gory as fuck)?

Comment

• Bought it today at Walmart for $12.96 but haven't watched it yet.

Comment

Okay, just so we're clear, for future reference, if you define Manic as "gory as fuck", how do you define Evil Dead (a film that i might consider describing as gory as fuck)?
                            That's gory as fuck as well...?

A horror film doesn't need to be Dead Alive or Evil Dead gory to be gory as fuck.

Comment

That's gory as fuck as well...?

A horror film doesn't need to be Dead Alive or Evil Dead gory to be gory as fuck.
                              Surely it does though. Even by your own definition. You're saying "Evil Dead gory" is gory as fuck. Maniac isn't "Evil Dead gory", so how is it gory as fuck?

Or is "gory as fuck" the highest level of gore? Anything with at least as much gore as Maniac can be classified as gory as fuck?

Comment

• Bro, there is not a gore pyramid chart that I go look at to analyze what films are able to be classified as gory and not gory. You're over analyzing this way too much.

Maniac has some extremely cool gory moments throughout the film and each scene was nothing but impressive. I look at a movie like Wrong Turn 2 which I'm sure has more gore than Maniac but Maniac is obviously the more violent film. It's rougher, darker, and more creative in it's methods of murder and those are all things that play into me classifying it as "gory as fuck".

Would you consider something like Zombieland more gory than Maniac? Yes the volume of how much gore there is should be considered but that isn't the only thing to take into account.

Comment

Working...
                                X