Maniac (2013) Remake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Agent Panic View Post
    There are movies that are great, like Insidious, that made me jump and I had a fun time.

Then there are movies like this, that are better than great. They are phenomenal. I didn't have 'fun' with this movie, but I was engaged the whole way through. The camera work was impressive, the acting was fantastic, the score was perfect, the scary moments made me jump and damn.. this has been, so far, the horror movie of 2013.

And yeah, I'm hyping it up.. but fuck it. I just really liked it.. a lot.

Damn you, Aja, for not doing the Hellraiser remake! I can't even imagine how amazing that was going to be.
    This and Evil Dead are kick ass remakes.

It's certainly not a fun movie but it hooks you right from the start.

Relentless, nightmarish and so fucking nasty. This film has a level of brutality that Rob Zombie can only dream of.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Panic View Post
      Then there are movies like this, that are better than great. They are phenomenal. I didn't have 'fun' with this movie, but I was engaged the whole way through. The camera work was impressive, the acting was fantastic, the score was perfect, the scary moments made me jump and damn.. this has been, so far, the horror movie of 2013.

And yeah, I'm hyping it up.. but fuck it. I just really liked it.. a lot.

Damn you, Aja, for not doing the Hellraiser remake! I can't even imagine how amazing that was going to be.

It is phenomenal. It grabs you by the throat from the get-go and really never lets go. Unrelenting.

As far as realistic violence in movies go, this is probably, for me, as nasty as it gets.

It packs a visceral punch like no other.

In many scenes I was thinking "hm, this is usually where most movies cut away", but nope, it was all in your face. No mercy.

Comment

• Originally posted by black coffee View Post

It is phenomenal. It grabs you by the throat from the get-go and really never lets go. Unrelenting.

As far as realistic violence in movies go, this is probably, for me, as nasty as it gets.

It packs a visceral punch like no other.

In many scenes I was thinking "hm, this is usually where most movies cut away", but nope, it was all in your face. No mercy.
        It shocked me that they didn't cut the murder scenes. You see everything.

The stalking also made my heart race. Violent and frightening, which is rare in horror movies these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wonderlust View Post
          Fantastic film. Elijah was great. I loved how Frank almost remained faceless, seeing him in mirror images and reflections was brilliant. One of the most brutal scenes was the one that black coffee mention in an above post...

I'm at a loss for words and I saw this hours ago...: )
          So, does it surpass The Lords Of Salem?
          Originally posted by Agent Panic View Post

So far, Aja never disappointed me with anything he made. A rock-solid Horror director, only one of the few who are reliable in putting out decent stuff.
          "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
          Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

• Originally posted by Santa Sangre View Post
            So, does it surpass The Lords Of Salem?
            So far, Aja never disappointed me with anything he made. A rock-solid Horror director, only one of the few who are reliable in putting out decent stuff.
            Aja didn't direct this. He wrote and produced but his blood stained fingers are all over this bad boy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusted View Post
              Violent and frightening, which is rare in horror movies these days.
              Yeah, I was impressed how the movie managed to be both.

These days, horror movies either aim to be scary/creepy with minimum violence or all out violence, but low on the fright.

Maniac creeped me out, made me look over my shoulder and made me cringe at the mayhem that was being brought upon me.

Fuck it, best horror movie in...fucking forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by black coffee View Post
                Yeah, I was impressed how the movie managed to be both.

These days, horror movies either aim to be scary/creepy with minimum violence or all out violence, but low on the fright.

Maniac creeped me out, made me look over my shoulder and made me cringe at the mayhem that was being brought upon me.

Fuck it, best horror movie in...fucking forever.
                The first kill when he was standing right behind her in the dark, and she could hear his breathing then that knife comes out of nowhere, fuck I was on the edge of my seat.

Yeah, this one is a complete winner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusted View Post
                  The first kill when he was standing right behind her in the dark, and she could hear his breathing then that knife comes out of nowhere, fuck I was on the edge of my seat.

Yeah, this one is a complete winner.
                  Yeah the opening is great. The stalking in the car and saying "I see you too" gives me goosebumps. The soundtrack really brought it to life as well.

Its my favorite horror of the year and with Evil Dead its looking a better year than 2012. Trying to think of whats left to come? The Green Inferno possibly. Things likes Hatchet 3 and The conjuring I don't expect anything special but I'll hopefully enjoy.

Comment

• Can't wait to get sloshed and watch this tonight. l just hope l don't go to federal prison for downloading it.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoxodo View Post
                      Can't wait to get sloshed and watch this tonight. l just hope l don't go to federal prison for downloading it.
                      You probably will and you will probably be horrifically assaulted in the showers but its worth it because its THAT GOOD.

Comment

• Saw it today and indeed, it is a well done remake with lots of gruelling hardcore shots of violence but subsequently great character development regarding Maniac Eliah Wood. He embodies absolutely believably the torn and maniacal personality and adds another great facette to his acting repertoire. Pretty brave step-up to do such a role after his iconic role in the LOTR, kudos to that.
                        Great and often depressing atmosphere throughout the whole thing, the great POV style of the killer contributed a lot to it. The score was subtle and fitted perfectly to the atmosphere.
                        Rock-solid remake, which I personally favor over the original. You'll never experience a boring moment in this. And oh boy, Nora Arnezeder...I want to cum all over her. She is so damn hawd. Perfect girlfriend material.

4/5

Originally posted by black coffee View Post
                        I never get affected by horror movies these days, but this actually managed to creep me out and make me cringe ([spoiler]the scene, when the girl gets her achilles sliced and then gets stabbed mercilessly, is one of the most cruel scenes I've ever seen. It takes the stabbing scene from Zodiac to new levels...holy shit.[/spoiler]
                        True dat. This shit was hardcore as fuck. You wish this scene to pass real quick, it is so damn hard.
                        "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
                        Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

• Best damn horror film this year. I'll be shocked if something else is better.

I never once felt this uncomfortable during the original film.

And Wood knocked it out of the fucking park.
                          Bow to the Schlock King

B-Movie Madness

Why would you want to argue with Geek? He puts up an argument like a midget puts up Christmas tree lights.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Geek View Post
                            Best damn horror film this year. I'll be shocked if something else is better.

I never once felt this uncomfortable during the original film.

And Wood knocked it out of the fucking park.
                            A little rushed, don't you think? Considering as the year is still in its infancy, but will be hard to overcome it, that's for sure. We need more of this kind....

Comment

• wow this was amazing, great soundtrack to that's for sure. I would of loved being able to see this on the big screen.

Comment

• Pretty much everything about this film that needs to be said, has been said by you guys. Here's my two cents.

Sitting with my arms folded in an x, hands on shoulders, cringing, with a frown on my face means something to me. This movie was fucking nasty, and I loved every minute of it. Others have said it, and it's absolutely true, that in the first 5 minutes (similar to a Wes Craven beginning movie punch) you will know that this flick is gonna be one absolutely bloody good time. Maniac 2013 is a modern masterpiece, I can't find one thing I disliked about it.

A few things that stood out for me, one being the detailed stalk and prey sequences, in which you really feel like you've entered the mind of a madman. You feel like you're just there, which made me wonder... 3D?... would've been sick. After the stalk is done, comes some pretty fuckin' grimy death scenes, I dunno how else to describe them. The only relief you get from the madness, is when the camera very briefly lifts up like 2-3 times throughout the entire film, to seemingly remind the viewer that they are, in fact, not Frank.

I enjoyed Woods' completely different take on the character of Frank. More of a wounded puppy/loner, and I also loved how the camera was used to accentuate who he was. [SPOILER]Like how he would always be staring at the girls, and in the end when they do a mini flashback, he was really just sitting there staring at this girl, and she let it go, because she probably thought he was a lil weird inside, but really liked him. All the pictures too, he's just staring.[/SPOILER] Very subtly creepy stuff.

The mirrors and reflections add a different depth to the film. [SPOILER]We see him break one, in the beginning, and then a broken man, has to look at himself through broken glass, throughout the rest of the film. Using reflections of LA subway escalators to track down prey.[/SPOILER]
                                Good shit, there. I hope Aja was laughing, as he wrote a much simpler, and more effective way to use mirrors than in his own Mirrors.

Last thing I'll say is that the dark synth wave is just good music. But what makes it brilliant is that it perfectly fits the tone of the film. Admittedly, I did find myself nodding my head once.... for a total of maybe 10 seconds, before the nature of this film brought me back down to a low sink in my chair.

Maniac gets 10 scalps out of 10

Comment

Working...
                                X