Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Thing (2011)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm not going to say that it's a flawless movie, but (as a big fan of Carpenter's film) I enjoyed it. It carried on the theme of paranoia quite well and there were several instances where I was thinking, "Oh shit, something bad is about to happen." It did a good job at drawing me in.

    Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
    They did get the look of the sets right, so the atmosphere was nice in that sense, but the creature just wasn't playing things smart like it did in JCs, and revealed itself way too fast.
    I thought about that too, but I think it makes sense in the context that it was the creature's first encounter with humans; it learned by the time it got to the American station that it needed to be sneakier.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
      They did get the look of the sets right, so the atmosphere was nice in that sense, but the creature just wasn't playing things smart like it did in JCs, and revealed itself way too fast.

      Maybe it would have been hard to fix, but it seems like it should have been pretty easy to sit down for a week and make it a lot smarter movie
      I felt exactly the same. The creature seemed to be impatient compared to JC's, who didn't mind hiding unless it was certain it was cornered. The 2011 Thing jumped out of the ice when it didn't need to, it showed itself in the helicopter with no tactical advantage, the lab with no cover. It seemed to jump out with no rhyme or reason, when it could've played it cool and easily taken them one by one.

      It just gave the movie this rushed, shallow feeling, where JC's was subtle and worked with claustrophobia and paranoia.

      I didn't loathe it like Rusted, but it's nothing more than a mid tier remake.
      Last edited by Caustic Coffee; 12-24-2012, 11:01 AM. Reason: Grammar

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Hannibal Rex View Post
        I thought about that too, but I think it makes sense in the context that it was the creature's first encounter with humans; it learned by the time it got to the American station that it needed to be sneakier.
        I've thought that too, and would make a perfect explanation, but it obviously doesn't/didn't make for a movie anywhere as perfect as JCs. Not all logical scenarios make for great stories. When the Zombie Apocalypse happens, the events at the day care center aren't gonna make for much of a movie even tho it would be one of the many placing affected.

        Originally posted by Caustic Coffee View Post
        I felt exactly the same. The creature seemed to be impatient compared to JC's, who didn't mind hiding unless it was certain it was cornered. The 2011 Thing jumped out the ice when it didn't need to, it showed itself in the helicopter with no tactical advantage, the lab with no cover. It seemed to jump out with no rhyme or reason, when it could've played it cool and easily taken them one by one.

        It just gave the movie this rushed, shallow feeling, where JC's was subtle and worked with claustrophobia and paranoia.

        I didn't loathe it like Rusted, but it's nothing more than a mid tier remake.
        Again, while "realistic", it's really not a ("possible") version of events worth telling.

        But then, the creature (prolly) wasn't just born, it may not know humans, but it ought to know how to bide it's time, attack lone creatures, and who knows what else.

        You make The Thing too smart and the movie would be boring as the people are just overwhelmed with no hope, but The Thing could very well be one of the most clever and cunning creatures the universe has ever know, they should have made The Thing far more clever than it was here.
        I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
          Again, while "realistic", it's really not a ("possible") version of events worth telling.

          But then, the creature (prolly) wasn't just born, it may not know humans, but it ought to know how to bide it's time, attack lone creatures, and who knows what else.

          You make The Thing too smart and the movie would be boring as the people are just overwhelmed with no hope, but The Thing could very well be one of the most clever and cunning creatures the universe has ever know, they should have made The Thing far more clever than it was here.
          True, there is a balance to be struck, since you want the humans to have a chance and you want the movie to progress. I felt JC used science very effectively to make discoveries about the creature, hell even the original used scientific reasoning to root the organism out.

          Granted the core audience these days is more prone to change the channel or play angry birds if you plot develop too long, so you have to keep things moving along, but I think the actiony element was the only real weakness to the movie. I liked the acting and the atmosphere, so you could probably argue I would never be fully happy with this remake, because I liked JC's so much.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
            I've thought that too, and would make a perfect explanation, but it obviously doesn't/didn't make for a movie anywhere as perfect as JCs. Not all logical scenarios make for great stories. When the Zombie Apocalypse happens, the events at the day care center aren't gonna make for much of a movie even tho it would be one of the many placing affected.
            It certainly pales in comparison to Carpenter's film; that should go without saying. However, I really respect the fact that the filmmakers actually made attempts to make a The Thing movie without simply remaking the original. There are also a lot of small touches they added throughout to make it synch up with Carpenter's film quite well.

            Originally posted by Caustic Coffee View Post
            Granted the core audience these days is more prone to change the channel or play angry birds if you plot develop too long, so you have to keep things moving along, but I think the actiony element was the only real weakness to the movie. I liked the acting and the atmosphere, so you could probably argue I would never be fully happy with this remake, because I liked JC's so much.
            Like I said to Willowfang, you can't beat Carpenter's film. That's a fact. And I agree with what you said about pacing and how today's audiences need things to be in your face early on in a film. I did notice that about it; it didn't take nearly as long for things to fall apart.

            Also, I think I should point out that this is not a remake (although it really did feel like it at times) but a prequel.

            Comment


            • Still haven't see this...and I really don't have any urge too.

              Maybe some day when it's on cable TV.
              B-D Forum Rules l Forum Tips For Noobs l Posting Made Easy

              Comment


              • Not sure what phrase works best, but it's not that bad if you look at it as more of an effects/highlight reel than a movie meant to move the narrative we saw in JCs forward in any way.
                I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
                  Not sure what phrase works best, but it's not that bad if you look at it as more of an effects/highlight reel than a movie meant to move the narrative we saw in JCs forward in any way.
                  So anotherwords, it's not that bad if you ignore the fundamentals of a good horror movie.

                  Or how 'bout, it's not that bad, if you expect something worse than a shit taco.

                  Or, it's not that bad if you know what a good movie is.



                  Or........fuck this forgettable, piece of shit movie.


                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Heretic View Post
                    So anotherwords, it's not that bad if you ignore the fundamentals of a good horror movie.

                    Or how 'bout, it's not that bad, if you expect something worse than a shit taco.

                    Or, it's not that bad if you know what a good movie is.



                    Or........fuck this forgettable, piece of shit movie.
                    Pretty much.

                    I don't mean to justify it as a MOVIE. But if you do wind up watching it, the effect are entertaining, the atmosphere is nice in parts, and as rabid as I'd say I was for a taste of JCs, it's watchable.
                    I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Caustic Coffee View Post
                      I felt exactly the same. The creature seemed to be impatient compared to JC's, who didn't mind hiding unless it was certain it was cornered. The 2011 Thing jumped out of the ice when it didn't need to, it showed itself in the helicopter with no tactical advantage, the lab with no cover. It seemed to jump out with no rhyme or reason, when it could've played it cool and easily taken them one by one.

                      It just gave the movie this rushed, shallow feeling, where JC's was subtle and worked with claustrophobia and paranoia.

                      I didn't loathe it like Rusted, but it's nothing more than a mid tier remake.
                      This is one of the main problems I had with it. The creature in JC's film only attacked when it had too, or when it was threatened. The creature in this film was jumping out at every moment when it didn't have to.

                      The film was basically a slasher with an alien.

                      Comment


                      • I walked out on this when I saw all the uber horrible CGI work. Never am I going to attempt it again.
                        "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain





                        "I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler


                        You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
                        Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
                        My little idiot..

                        Comment


                        • I checked it out for a second viewing yesterday.

                          My mind about it hasn't changed much.

                          It keeps you entertained, has a couple of suspenseful moments and I like how it ties into JC's Thing.

                          That said, the overwhelming use of shitty CGI completely takes you out of the supposed horror. Much of it comes off as silly and not scary. The ending at the spaceship is ridiculous.

                          5/10.

                          Comment


                          • "The Thing (2011)".......This film is awesome and a perfect companion(prequel) piece to the 1982 remake. It brings back good old fashioned horror, sci-fi, and suspense. John Carpenter should be proud. Director Matthijs van Heijningen Jr. pays homage to Carpenter without replicating the original films essence, but bringing something new and yet familiar. The cast and performances are strong. Mary Elizabeth Winstead(Kate) is top notch and Joel Edgerton as "Carter" is terrific!! The handsome Trond Espen Sein as "Edvard" is a standout too! The music score is both nostalgic and newly refreshing. Impressive special effects and nicely done makeup effects add greatly to the movie too!!

                            9/10

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
                              "The Thing (2011)".......This film is awesome and a perfect companion(prequel) piece to the 1982 remake. It brings back good old fashioned horror, sci-fi, and suspense. John Carpenter should be proud. Director Matthijs van Heijningen Jr. pays homage to Carpenter without replicating the original films essence, but bringing something new and yet familiar. The cast and performances are strong. Mary Elizabeth Winstead(Kate) is top notch and Joel Edgerton as "Carter" is terrific!! The handsome Trond Espen Sein as "Edvard" is a standout too! The music score is both nostalgic and newly refreshing. Impressive special effects and nicely done makeup effects add greatly to the movie too!!

                              9/10
                              if the thing(2011) is a 9/10 then the thing(1982)must be a fucking 100/10
                              Old man Clemmons hates shit.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Mr Torrance View Post
                                if the thing(2011) is a 9/10 then the thing(1982)must be a fucking 100/10
                                Pretty much. I can't take anyone seriously that rates this higher than a 5.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X