No announcement yet.

Drag Me To Hell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The plot reminds me of Thinner a little bit..

Comment

• I remember seeing this in theaters and LOVING it but when it was over everybody I was with wouldn't shut up about how stupid it was.

Later my father borrowed my blu-ray copy and hated it too.

Guess its an acquired taste... I still think its one of the few masterpiece horror films from the last 10 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
        I remember seeing this in theaters and LOVING it but when it was over everybody I was with wouldn't shut up about how stupid it was.

Guess its an acquired taste... I still think its one of the few masterpiece horror films from the last 10 years.
        masterpiece horror film from the last 10 years? I wouldn't go that far.

Comment

• This slack film loses since the beginning the sobriety , Is displayed in a vulgar way looking startle with orchestral highs and cheap thrills, and does not result at all sympathetic to its bizarre exaggeration or display its crazy situations.

Alison Lohman makes a good interpretation of a role but surrounded by embarrassing topics. Justin Long wandering lost in the story giving life to a character without substance and vacuum level.

Gypsy Witch (of course the gypsies all have black nails, glass eyes and headscarves, the office mate, the caring and cuddly boyfriend who understands everything, strict parents, the medium who wants help the protagonist, etc, etc, etc.

It seems incredible that such approaches still happily walking free the billboards with only the help of a name director "reputed". Years later and still do not know if I've seen a terrible comedy, a bad self-parody, or Scoria movie (insert number here)

Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
          I remember seeing this in theaters and LOVING it but when it was over everybody I was with wouldn't shut up about how stupid it was.

Seriously?

Comment

• Yes.

omg freak out

I'm fairly certain I'm not alone here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Renacimiento View Post
              This slack film loses since the beginning the sobriety , Is displayed in a vulgar way looking startle with orchestral highs and cheap thrills, and does not result at all sympathetic to its bizarre exaggeration or display its crazy situations.

Alison Lohman makes a good interpretation of a role but surrounded by embarrassing topics. Justin Long wandering lost in the story giving life to a character without substance and vacuum level.

Gypsy Witch (of course the gypsies all have black nails, glass eyes and headscarves, the office mate, the caring and cuddly boyfriend who understands everything, strict parents, the medium who wants help the protagonist, etc, etc, etc.

It seems incredible that such approaches still happily walking free the billboards with only the help of a name director "reputed". Years later and still do not know if I've seen a terrible comedy, a bad self-parody, or Scoria movie (insert number here)
              I fully agree.

It's more like "Scary Maze Game: The Movie" + awkward humor, rather than Evil Dead 4.

Comment

• Fuck everyone above.
                I liked it.
                You're all cunts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mogwai View Post
                  Fuck everyone above.
                  I liked it.
                  You're all cunts.
                  OMG

Comment

• I liked it, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece.

Comment

• Drag Me To Hell certainly divides opinions. It's the Margaret Thatcher or films! personally, I love it and I read an interesting article, claiming that the film could actually be about eating disorders:

"What You Think You're Watching

A horror movie about a young, ambitious woman cursed by an old gypsy lady. The curse, apparently, is all about getting the young lady (Christine) into Hell, but not before she gets to endure levels of torture previously experienced only by Bruce Campbell.

The Subtext

Oh, Christine is cursed, all right. Cursed with a fat ass! Just kidding; she's got an eating disorder.

At first glance, the plot of the 2009 horror film Drag Me to Hell seems straightforward. The pretty blonde protagonist tries to impress her boss by refusing to grant a bank loan extension to an ethnic stereotype. Ethnic stereotype curses the girl with a goat-legged demon called a Lamia, which haunts her for three days before pulling her down into the netherworld's eternal embrace, as ethnic stereotypes are apt to do.

But some people see a whole other layer to this story. Christine bakes and brings food to others, drinking coffee and water while other characters eat lunch.

She lies about her eating habits (telling her boyfriend that she is lactose-intolerant and then eating ice cream without getting sick). The movie also informs us several times that Christine used to weigh a lot more: There's a picture of her as an overweight child next to a sign reading "Pork Queen ..."

... and a woman tells Christine that she can tell just by looking at her that she used to be fat.

See where this is going? If not, then note that almost all of Christine's demon-curse problems involve either eating, stuff being forced down her throat or vomiting. Various hell-creatures throw up on her ...

... an old lady twice attempts to eat her face ...

... a possessed scarf tries to force its way down her throat ...

... and a piece of cake starts oozing bodily fluids when she finally tries to eat something.

The main villain, Mrs. Ganush, has horribly damaged teeth and nails which Christine is constantly seeing visions of. Hair loss and teeth and nail damage are all symptoms of eating disorders, bulimia in particular. And, uh, this happens:

Watch carefully, and you'll notice that the movie treats Christine's demon problems like they aren't actually real. When she suffers a violent nosebleed that sends blood spurting all over her workplace, her co-workers don't scream "DID YOU PUNCTURE A NOSE ARTERY?" but act like it's no big deal. In a scene at a funeral, a corpse comes to life and sprays embalming fluid all over her ... only for us to cut to the next shot, showing Christine standing up, perfectly clean, while the other guests react to a goddamn corpse coming to life like it's a mildly interesting daily occurrence.

Which might suggest the whole demon/gypsy curse scenario is either a series hallucination brought on by extreme hunger or a dramatized representation of what is happening to Christine on a nondemonic level. Sort of like how authors often used vampirism as a metaphor for drug addiction back in the pre-sparkly days."

I find this theory quite fascinating, and it adds a very interesting layer to the film. You can find the article (and other interesting theories for other films) here: http://www.cracked.com/article_18967...#ixzz2QMCHHxUh

and here: http://www.slashfilm.com/is-drag-me-...ting-disorder/
                      ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Anyone can present this film anyway they like but in my opinion it's quite horrible. I never saw the charm in it.

Comment

• Watching it in the mind of 'it's all in her head' really does work! It adds a unique layer on it. I love this film even more now!
                          ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• "Drag Me To Hell".....What can I say about this? Wasn't really scary as I assumed it would be. The seance and demon scenes were kinda freaky. The old woman was freaky too...her and her corpse. LOL!! The gore was soooo campy and cheesy and took away from the movie. It was so "Evil Dead Series" all throughout this movie. In other words...it was old news. What worked with The Evil Dead series is that it came out in the late 70's and 80's. To have ALL of that back again to kinda modernize it all with a similar horror movie...got a bit cliche' to me. I laughed at alot of the scenes. Entertaining? Yes!! Fun and campy? Yes!! The cast was all over the place though and leads Justin Long and Alison Lohman were hit and miss constantly. Sam Raimi could have had a better cast for the leads. The guy who played the phychic was good..as was Adriana Barraza who played the medium. I was happy to see Justin Long back in a horror movie..but he let me down with his performance. I think he was tons better in Jeepers Creepers. All in all, the movie is alright.

5/10

Comment

• I haven't seen this film in ages, but going off of my memory I really enjoyed it. Not in a revolutionary, frightening horror film sense but more of a zany, off the wall dark comedy. It isn't a movie I could take seriously, but it is something I can sit back and have a few beers and enjoy.

Comment

• drag me to hell aka jump scare the movie.

it had some good ideas and some fun gross out moments. It seemed like it was trying to bring some fun to horror but the never ending jump scares made it incredibly annoying. I would call it a shade or two below "ok".

Comment

Working...
                                X