Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Evil Dead (2013) Remake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The first one was not "straight horror" (if by that one means horror without comedy). They deliberately tried to make it funny.

    So, I don't know about "caricature", but of course the first Evil Dead was also a comedy. It's obvious not only from the fact that, well, it's fucking funny, but also because it literally was one of Sam Raimi's goals, to have comedy in it.
    My musical unholiness; some programming thoughts; and tweets.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Heretic View Post
      You're 19 or something, right? The original was not a "characature". It was one of the most gruesome horror flicks of it's time, and ended up on the dreaded "film nasty" list, and was banned in certain areas. Yes, it's easy to look at it today, and wonder what all the fuss was about. Back then though, it absolutely disgusted most who watched it. It's "cult" status is more about it being one of the first extreme horror flicks, that pushed all the boundaries. The campyness of the film was not intentional. It's just shitty acting.

      Raimi's goal for the first film was to make a truly horrific film. It wasn't until the sequels, where he made them into a joke, with a wise cracking hero.
      Didn't Raimi want to make a funny gross horror movie that would be a success at Drive-Ins and shit so he could go on and do other things?

      It's pretty horrifying and gross but like I said, that isn't synonymous with being scary, at all. And lets not act like the Evil Dead legacy is based on what peoples reactions were back in 1981. Caricature might have been the wrong word for what I was trying to describe but it was like five AM.

      Originally posted by Mirage01 View Post
      I'm not sure how you didn't find it scary yet love rubbish like the Conjuring. You really did not think the scene where the chick is stalked and then raped in the woods by the trees as scary and disturbing?
      The Conjuring isn't scary either. There are few films in this world that manage to have any more effect than a creepy walk back to my dorm after I watch it. I just can't take you seriously when you talk about Cinematography and don't acknowledge how great The Conjuring was in that aspect.

      I'm aware that for the time the rape scene was cool, fresh, and disturbing but it's not now. Watched it this year and it was more funny than anything

      Originally posted by Zander Noriega View Post
      The first one was not "straight horror" (if by that one means horror without comedy). They deliberately tried to make it funny.

      So, I don't know about "caricature", but of course the first Evil Dead was also a comedy. It's obvious not only from the fact that, well, it's fucking funny, but also because it literally was one of Sam Raimi's goals, to have comedy in it.
      Yeah, the only thing that I enjoyed from the original were the practical effects and the comedy. If I saw it as a "straight up horror" then It wouldn't have worked for me (And I assume a lot of other people who went in with the same mindset).


      Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
      I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Se7en Sins View Post
        Didn't Raimi want to make a funny gross horror movie that would be a success at Drive-Ins and shit so he could go on and do other things?
        The humour in the first movie was not intentional. Tell me one funny bit in that movie, that wasn't a result of hammy, amateur acting, or it's low budget?

        Raimi wanted to make a cheap movie, to make a profit and get his foot in the door of the industry.

        It's pretty horrifying and gross but like I said, that isn't synonymous with being scary, at all.
        We can go on about definitions of "scary" all day long. Point is, it was intended as a pure horror movie. Not a horror/comedy like the sequels.

        And lets not act like the Evil Dead legacy is based on what peoples reactions were back in 1981. Caricature might have been the wrong word for what I was trying to describe but it was like five AM.
        It wasn't a parody, or some clever commentary on the trends in horror movies at the time either, if that's what you're getting at. It was just a horror movie. That's it.


        Comment


        • Originally posted by Heretic View Post
          We can go on about definitions of "scary" all day long. Point is, it was intended as a pure horror movie. Not a horror/comedy like the sequels.
          Intention doesn't always lie with outcome. Whether Raimi wanted it to be funny or not is completely irrelevant as that's how it turned out.

          Originally posted by Heretic View Post
          It wasn't a parody, or some clever commentary on the trends in horror movies at the time either, if that's what you're getting at. It was just a horror movie. That's it.
          Yeah that wasn't what I was suggesting at all. Should have my reply better.


          Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
          I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Heretic View Post
            The humour in the first movie was not intentional.
            Yes, yes it was.
            My musical unholiness; some programming thoughts; and tweets.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Zander Noriega View Post
              Yes, yes it was.
              There was very little humour in it. The only moments were maybe when the demons were hamming it up a bit. Whatever humour there was, is far out weighed by the horror.
              Last edited by Mirage01; 01-02-2014, 05:29 AM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Zander Noriega View Post
                Yes, yes it was.
                I agree with you lol I laughed many times in the first one even though it wasn't meant to be a comedy. Ive seen many sites where they list evil dead as a horror / comedy
                sigpic

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Se7en Sins View Post

                  The Conjuring isn't scary either. There are few films in this world that manage to have any more effect than a creepy walk back to my dorm after I watch it. I just can't take you seriously when you talk about Cinematography and don't acknowledge how great The Conjuring was in that aspect.
                  You maybe have a misunderstanding of what 'scary' is. It does not mean you are literally scared and frightened like a little kid, but rather just find it thrilling or creepy. Conjuring was sesame stuff in a nice clean house, with no threats, so there was nothing to scare or creep me out.

                  The basic premise of The evil dead was scary to begin with.

                  Originally posted by Se7en Sins View Post
                  I'm aware that for the time the rape scene was cool, fresh, and disturbing but it's not now. Watched it this year and it was more funny than anything
                  ?

                  Funny? What was funny about it exactly?? Why isn't it disturbing now? What advances in film since then make it less disturbing? the buckets of blood we keep getting?

                  Originally posted by Se7en Sins View Post
                  If I saw it as a "straight up horror" then It wouldn't have worked for me (And I assume a lot of other people who went in with the same mindset).
                  You assume wrong. if it failed as a horror movie to a lot of people it would have been quickly forgotten, not a cult classic. I find it really funny how something like the Conjuring worked for you but The Evil dead original did not.'

                  The only explanation I have for it is you were too focused and distracted by the low budget, which for me was irrelevant and just enhanced the gritty realism.

                  Comment


                  • for its time it was scary but have anyone really watch it now and its nothing. When I first saw it I was all excited for a super scary movie but then it disappointed me when I found myself laughing more then actually jumping or being scared.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Mirage01 View Post
                      There was very little humour in it. The only moments were maybe when the demons were hamming it up a bit. Whatever humour there was, is far out weighed by the horror.
                      I wasn't referring to the quantity of humour.

                      I was just countering the claims about it being a "straight horror" film and that the humour was not intentional, by linking to a video of Sam Raimi mentioning that it was intentional and literally saying "it's a comedy and a horror movie", and moreover saying that the sequel "should be just as entertaining and funny".

                      So, now that the claim that the humour in the original Evil Dead wasn't intended/intentional/etc or was completely a side-effect of the budget is proven to be wrong, the remaining possible argument you could make is something like: "regardless of what Raimi says about the intent, the resulting film did not have almost any humour in it! I did not laugh more than N times". But then that turns the discussion into an uninteresting taste/personal sensibility thing. Some people find certain things funny, others don't.
                      My musical unholiness; some programming thoughts; and tweets.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Zander Noriega View Post

                        So, now that the claim that the humour in the original Evil Dead wasn't intended/intentional/etc or was completely a side-effect of the budget is proven to be wrong, the remaining possible argument you could make is something like: "regardless of what Raimi says about the intent, the resulting film did not have almost any humour in it! I did not laugh more than N times". But then that turns the discussion into an uninteresting taste/personal sensibility thing. Some people find certain things funny, others don't.

                        To a degree, but I think you can conclude what moments were at least intended to be humourous regardless if you found them funny.

                        The only scenes I can think of were when ash's girlfriend was doing the demonic laughing, and then some of the following moments when ash was trying to kill her were a bit outrageous and could be found funny, but other than that there was nothing else really.

                        Unless someone can list examples.

                        Comment


                        • For me, there were tidbits of the original ED that were deliberately funny. Mostly, just some dialogue like when Scotty is holding the skull knife and says to Ash, "This kinda looks like your old girlfriend! Ha ha ha." or when Cheryl calls Ash, Ass. But the overall tone of the original for me was Horror, not Comedy.

                          Now ED2, that was a Horror/Comedy. They changed the tone with more comedic acting, gags like the deer head on the wall and even the Deadite Witch at the end, "I'll swallow your soul". The whole presentation of the film was humorous.


                          He said, "hit gold," not, "hit a septic line and get shit spewed in my face".

                          Comment


                          • Evil Dead original funny moments for me..

                            The two goofballs on the side of the road when he honks the car horn.
                            The tree rape scene.
                            When Scotty chops up Shelly, and they are standing there dumbfounded.
                            All of the stunts that are over dramatic.

                            It's subtle but it's there.

                            Little things they say etc,
                            jIMMY jOE'S GOT THE BALL AND WON'T GIVE IT UP!"

                            Comment


                            • 'Meh' movie but the trailer was phenomenal.

                              A lot like 'The Strangers' in that sense. Just a great freaking trailer.

                              [YOUTUBE]nCU0k_jbCUo[/YOUTUBE]

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Mirage01 View Post
                                You maybe have a misunderstanding of what 'scary' is. It does not mean you are literally scared and frightened like a little kid, but rather just find it thrilling or creepy. Conjuring was sesame stuff in a nice clean house, with no threats, so there was nothing to scare or creep me out.
                                I'm typically the kind of guy who judges things purely on an objective basis but with comedies or horror films subjectivity is at it's most relevant when it comes to what scares you.

                                The Conjuring, regardless of whether the scares worked for you was a well made film. Great cinematography, realistic characters, solid direction, and had some very effective scenes for me. That's why I like the movie.

                                Originally posted by Mirage01 View Post
                                The basic premise of The evil dead was scary to begin with.
                                Another subjective thing. I don't believe in demons or possession, and when it's a "straight up horror film" like the original Evil Dead is that looks poorly made and is acted terribly, there's nothing believable about it. But luckily that's not what makes the movie great, in my eyes at least.

                                Originally posted by Mirage01 View Post
                                Funny? What was funny about it exactly?? Why isn't it disturbing now? What advances in film since then make it less disturbing? the buckets of blood we keep getting?
                                Yes, some gross out scenes in particular (The arm getting sawed off, face cutting, knife on the tongue) are much more "disturbing" than a cheesy shot of a tree going into a vagina.

                                Originally posted by Mirage01 View Post
                                You assume wrong. if it failed as a horror movie to a lot of people it would have been quickly forgotten, not a cult classic. I find it really funny how something like the Conjuring worked for you but The Evil dead original did not.'
                                Audiences were also SCARED of the Friday the 13th films when they first came out. They had fucking ambulances at The Exorcist back in '73. Using people's reactions over thirty years ago to gauge somethings effect to a contemporary audience is fucking ridiculous.

                                And like I said to Heretic, lets not pretend the original Evil Dead and how "scary" it was is the reason it became as famous as it is now. Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness are arguably more to blame for the success as the fist film.

                                Originally posted by Mirage01 View Post
                                The only explanation I have for it is you were too focused and distracted by the low budget, which for me was irrelevant and just enhanced the gritty realism.
                                How can you not focus on the low budget when it's being acted TERRIBLY. Sorry, but I can't get into a film when the characters are so unconvincingly portrayed. Raimi did a fantastic job with the budget but direction can only get you so far.

                                LOL at you thinking the movie is realistic. Fucking hilarious.

                                Originally posted by Mirage01 View Post
                                To a degree, but I think you can conclude what moments were at least intended to be humourous regardless if you found them funny.

                                The only scenes I can think of were when ash's girlfriend was doing the demonic laughing, and then some of the following moments when ash was trying to kill her were a bit outrageous and could be found funny, but other than that there was nothing else really.

                                Unless someone can list examples.
                                You do realize there doesn't have to be particular jokes or outright "funny" moments to be humorous, right?

                                Originally posted by FarmerVincent1980 View Post
                                'Meh' movie but the trailer was phenomenal.

                                A lot like 'The Strangers' in that sense. Just a great freaking trailer.

                                [YOUTUBE]nCU0k_jbCUo[/YOUTUBE]
                                Who cares about the trailers?


                                Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                                I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X