The Evil Dead (2013) Remake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Se7en Sins View Post
    Another subjective thing. I don't believe in demons or possession, and when it's a "straight up horror film" like the original Evil Dead is that looks poorly made and is acted terribly, there's nothing believable about it. But luckily that's not what makes the movie great, in my eyes at least.
    You don't believe in demons or possession yet you loved the conjuring and its very effective scares, which was a film about demons and possession. Your making good sense as usual.

Originally posted by Se7en Sins View Post
    Yes, some gross out scenes in particular (The arm getting sawed off, face cutting, knife on the tongue) are much more "disturbing" than a cheesy shot of a tree going into a vagina.
    There was nothing cheesy about that shot it was brutal. Cheesy would be just about every 'scare' in the conjuring.

Audiences were also SCARED of the Friday the 13th films when they first came out. They had fucking ambulances at The Exorcist back in '73. Using people's reactions over thirty years ago to gauge somethings effect to a contemporary audience is fucking ridiculous.
    I am not arguing about how scary it is now. I am saying it became a cult hit because of what a great effective horror movie it was.

And like I said to Heretic, lets not pretend the original Evil Dead and how "scary" it was is the reason it became as famous as it is now. Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness are arguably more to blame for the success as the fist film.
    We don't have to assume anything, as the reasons are very clear. You are the one assuming things just because you did not find it scary so your inventing other reasons. The fact you find the conjuring scary just shows how warped your views on horror movies are.

How can you not focus on the low budget when it's being acted TERRIBLY. Sorry, but I can't get into a film when the characters are so unconvincingly portrayed. Raimi did a fantastic job with the budget but direction can only get you so far.
    Acting is one of the least important things in a horror movie, as it can be far out weighed by the other elements, like cinematography atmosphere, sfx etc. I do not think they were so bad anyway. Just a bunch of kids, and they portrayed that well enough for me.

LOL at you thinking the movie is realistic. Fucking hilarious.
    Again you fail to comprehend the basics. I said the grainy gritty look made the film look realistic, like a documentary, rather than the slick studio look of modern films, which makes them look like a film, rather than real life. This is something you clearly cannot even comprehend. You just see it as looking 'cheap'

You do realize there doesn't have to be particular jokes or outright "funny" moments to be humorous, right?
    And you realise that having some humour in a movie does not make it a comedy?

Comment

• Originally posted by FarmerVincent1980 View Post
      'Meh' movie but the trailer was phenomenal.

A lot like 'The Strangers' in that sense. Just a great freaking trailer.

[YOUTUBE]nCU0k_jbCUo[/YOUTUBE]
      Strangers is a great freaking movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mirage01 View Post
        You don't believe in demons or possession yet you loved the conjuring and its very effective scares, which was a film about demons and possession. Your making good sense as usual.
        Do I have to spell it out for you?

You totally missed what I said after I said I don't believe in demons or possession. I said that while I don't believe it, the things that are happening can become believable when the characters are portrayed realistically. You picking and choosing what to reply to, as usual.

Originally posted by Mirage01 View Post
        There was nothing cheesy about that shot it was brutal. Cheesy would be just about every 'scare' in the conjuring.
        If you think it was brutal then there's nothing I can say to change your mind. It looked ridiculous to me, and still does.

I am not arguing about how scary it is now. I am saying it became a cult hit because of what a great effective horror movie it was.
        k but you need to realize the flat out comedy of Army of Darkness and Evil Dead II are just as much a part of that success as the first film.

We don't have to assume anything, as the reasons are very clear. You are the one assuming things just because you did not find it scary so your inventing other reasons. The fact you find the conjuring scary just shows how warped your views on horror movies are.
        Did you miss my post where I said The Conjuring wasn't scary either?

I'm obviously not the only one who loves the original Evil Dead for it's comedy so who is really the one warping the reasons for liking it?

Acting is one of the least important things in a horror movie, as it can be far out weighed by the other elements, like cinematography atmosphere, sfx etc. I do not think they were so bad anyway. Just a bunch of kids, and they portrayed that well enough for me.
        If I judged the acting of Evil Dead as an important part of the film it would be terrible. But luckily, the totally incompetent dialogue and acting is part of the charm.

If I took it as a straight up horror the acting would have to be believable to convey the emotions and situations the characters are going through believably. They don't do that well in this film.

Again you fail to comprehend the basics. I said the grainy gritty look made the film look realistic, like a documentary, rather than the slick studio look of modern films, which makes them look like a film, rather than real life. This is something you clearly cannot even comprehend. You just see it as looking 'cheap'
        God forbid a film look like a film.

And you realise that having some humour in a movie does not make it a comedy?
        Yes, but when it's thoroughly funny, intentional or not, does that not make it part comedy?

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
        I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

Who cares about the trailers?

Well... Me, for one.

Comment

• Originally posted by cubbiechris View Post
            Strangers is a great freaking movie.
            Honestly in hindsight I actually have soft spot for The Strangers, but on the initial viewing of the trailer I thought it was going to be the best horror movie of the decade. It was just such a freaking great trailer. I remember seeing it in theaters for the first time and just not giving a shit about the movie I watched because I was so drawn in by that trailer. That shot where the guy in the sack cloth mask is standing in the background behind Liv Tyler was the loudest I've ever heard an audience in a theater in my life. People were losing their shit screaming.

Comment

• Originally posted by FarmerVincent1980 View Post
              Honestly in hindsight I actually have soft spot for The Strangers, but on the initial viewing of the trailer I thought it was going to be the best horror movie of the decade. It was just such a freaking great trailer. I remember seeing it in theaters for the first time and just not giving a shit about the movie I watched because I was so drawn in by that trailer. That shot where the guy in the sack cloth mask is standing in the background behind Liv Tyler was the loudest I've ever heard an audience in a theater in my life. People were losing their shit screaming.
              You really shouldn't let trailers get your expectations up like that.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
              I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Man, it was terrible. Just as well I didn't pay to see it.
                "When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

Comment

You really shouldn't let trailers get your expectations up like that.
                  Isn't that the whole point of trailers?

Comment

If you think it was brutal then there's nothing I can say to change your mind. It looked ridiculous to me, and still does.
                    Thats your opinion but you would be in the minority. It was one of the most brutal and original horror moments in history.

Did you miss my post where I said The Conjuring wasn't scary either?
                    then why are you such a big fan of it?

I'm obviously not the only one who loves the original Evil Dead for it's comedy so who is really the one warping the reasons for liking it?
                    It had barely any comedy. I asked you for examples if it and you haven't. if you like comedy there are so many better movies for that like the sequel.

If I judged the acting of Evil Dead as an important part of the film it would be terrible. But luckily, the totally incompetent dialogue and acting is part of the charm.
                    I don't recall any totally incompetent dialogue. It all sounded pretty appropriate to me.

God forbid a film look like a film.
                    Your 17 so I so I dont expect you to understand.

Yes, but when it's thoroughly funny, intentional or not, does that not make it part comedy?
                    Maybe to you if you found it thoroughly funny for some strange reasons.

Comment

Working...
                    X