Insidious (2011)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeathbyIggy View Post
    We're not saying it's impossible for a PG-13 rated movie to be good, it's just that track record proves that for the most part, PG-13 rated horror movies suck ass.
    Most of anything sucks ass, PG-13 or not. The rating itself is hardly an indicator. The Others, Poltergeist, Gremlins, Drag Me To Hell, The Ring, The Gate - All pretty solid examples of films rated at PG-13 or lower and still pretty effective. The rating's not important as much as how one uses it.

Using Little Red Riding Hood as an example is a bit silly to me. That movie, from the trailer to the poster, marketed itself as a Twilightified "horror" movie. If you expected anything truly dark or grim about it, then the mistake was yours alone.

A video review show dedicated to horror cinema.

Latest BSC episode (2/22/12):
    The Gingerdead Man
    Latest BSA episode (3/21/12): The Birds vs. The Birds!
    Latest Vlog (3/27/12): The Hunger Games

Comment

We're not saying it's impossible for a PG-13 rated movie to be good, it's just that track record proves that for the most part, PG-13 rated horror movies suck ass.
      Thank you.

For instance, I liked the SAW series but 3D one was just atrocious, and it was rated R.
      Last edited by DarkHumor; 03-23-2011, 03:44 PM.
      15 WWE DVD LOT Rock Hogan Hell in a Cell Ladder Match:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200602122789

Comment

Originally posted by Wednesday View Post
        Most of anything sucks ass, PG-13 or not. The rating itself is hardly an indicator. The Others, Poltergeist, Gremlins, Drag Me To Hell, The Ring, The Gate - All pretty solid examples of films rated at PG-13 or lower and still pretty effective. The rating's not important as much as how one uses it.

Using Little Red Riding Hood as an example is a bit silly to me. That movie, from the trailer to the poster, marketed itself as a Twilightified "horror" movie. If you expected anything truly dark or grim about it, then the mistake was yours alone.
        Just sayin' i'd be more inclined to see it if it were rated "R". I don't like films to pull punches and a PG-13 rating almost guarantees that i won't get to see this movie's full potential. They're basically handicapping what they can put on screen with that rating, and that in itself sucks.

Comment

Just sayin' i'd be more inclined to see it if it were rated "R". I don't like films to pull punches and a PG-13 rating almost guarantees that i won't get to see this movie's full potential. They're basically handicapping what they can put on screen with that rating, and that in itself sucks.
          Yes I can agree with that, I would prefer to see it R. Though seeing the PG-13 version won't be too bad either.

Comment

Originally posted by C. Carmelon View Post
            Yes I can agree with that, I would prefer to see it R. Though seeing the PG-13 version won't be too bad either.
            Well in any case i hope the movie rocks, i just don't plan on investing any cash on it till' i see some great reviews. With the last bunch of crap PG-13 rated horror movies i've seen, i'm just not willing to risk it again.

Comment

I guess you can chalk it down as being one of the vices of modern horror cinema. They just don't make PG-13 movies like they used to, and it's not a tired old rant about how the old days were better, but it's kinda the truth, which is sad.

As for rating in general, whether it's rated R or PG-13 doesn't have any sway in my decision. I mean, hell, if it was rated R, that doesn't mean it's more likely to be an automatic win. Look at the shitload of crappy R-rated horror movies out there. Especially the ones made in the last ten years. For the love of fuck!

Comment

They're not handicapping anything. The filmmakers set out to make a film that didn't rely on excessive language or gore in order to effect people. The Ring wasn't handicapped by this, nor was Poltergeist or any of the other examples I can give. Why should this film?

A video review show dedicated to horror cinema.

Latest BSC episode (2/22/12):
                The Gingerdead Man
                Latest BSA episode (3/21/12): The Birds vs. The Birds!
                Latest Vlog (3/27/12): The Hunger Games

Comment

They're not handicapping anything. The filmmakers set out to make a film that didn't rely on excessive language or gore in order to effect people. The Ring wasn't handicapped by this, nor was Poltergeist or any of the other examples I can give. Why should this film?
                  If they're not relying on excessive language or gore, every other aspect of this film is gonna have to be top notch to have this movie even be in the same light as Gremlins or Poltergeist. Those films delivered the goods and i hope this film can do the same.

Comment

Poltergeist and Gremlins are PG-13 and under. Rating means nothing in the grand scheme of quality.
                    The Gate is another good example.
                    sigpic "The dream you can't escape ALIVE!"

Comment

The ratings argument is pretty silly. There's a fair amount of quality PG or PG-13 horror films out there. I'm looking forward to it, as it seems right up my alley.

Comment

Well in any case i hope the movie rocks, i just don't plan on investing any cash on it till' i see some great reviews.
                        The reviews (of which there have been many, just look around the web) have been universally stellar.

Comment

Exactly. Insidious did the festival circuit for well over a year as an unrated film and garnered praise from pretty much everyone that saw it. When it finally came time to put it in theaters, that SAME EXACT FILM, without any cutting or compromising, was judged to be labeled PG-13. This isnt a case of a movie being hacked up by the ratings board; what your going to see is the movie as it was meant to be seen and as it has always been seen. To pass on it just because it's not going to contain extreme language, sexuality, or violence seems ridiculous to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cause of Death View Post
                            The reviews (of which there have been many, just look around the web) have been universally stellar.

Just because you hear a bunch of stellar reviews, doesn't make it a good movie. Paranormal activity got good reviews, doesn't mean it was a good movie. I watched it to see what all the hype about it was, formed my own opinion, and thought it was a complete crap movie.
                            15 WWE DVD LOT Rock Hogan Hell in a Cell Ladder Match:
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200602122789

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHumor View Post
                              Just because you hear a bunch of stellar reviews, doesn't make it a good movie. Paranormal activity got good reviews, doesn't mean it was a good movie. I watched it to see what all the hype about it was, formed my own opinion, and thought it was a complete crap movie.
                              Well, it has gotten good reviews from people who's opinions I respect and whose viewing sensibilities are in line with my own, Michael Gingold and Chris Alexander to name a few. Paranormal Activity may have gotten good reviews from the mainstream press, but most serious minded horror sites/mags didn't look too kindly on it, and it's those resources that I trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Cause of Death View Post
                                Exactly. Insidious did the festival circuit for well over a year as an unrated film and garnered praise from pretty much everyone that saw it. When it finally came time to put it in theaters, that SAME EXACT FILM, without any cutting or compromising, was judged to be labeled PG-13. This isnt a case of a movie being hacked up by the ratings board; what your going to see is the movie as it was meant to be seen and as it has always been seen. To pass on it just because it's not going to contain extreme language, sexuality, or violence seems ridiculous to me.
                                I'm not passing on it completely...at least not yet. I am however, gonna wait till i see reviews from people i trust as well as from members of this board. If after the first few days it's gotten great reviews, then i'll go see it; if not then you bet your ass i'm saving my cash. I've just been suckered into seeing way too many crap movies as of late, and i don't want to fall for another one.

Comment

Working...
                                X