Megan Is Missing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Se7en XxSinzXx View Post
    Looks and sounds interesting. Must watch this.
    Dude... i was skeptical about this film but was pleasantly surprised. This film is a real shocker and definitely delivers the goods.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathbyIggy View Post
      Dude... i was skeptical about this film but was pleasantly surprised. This film is a real shocker and definitely delivers the goods.
      Good to know.

I'm very skeptical about this movie, but hearing all these good things is great.

Will watch it tonight.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
      I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimate High
        This 'movie' was shit.

The majority of it consists of exaggerated teen stereotypes talking to each other on webcams. The news reports were laughable.

The entire 'film' is merely an exercise in exploitation; [SPOILER]so the first girl gets kidnapped, then we spend some more time with her friend, the innocent girl, doing exceedingly innocent things, like talking to her stuffed bear, just so when she inevitably gets snatched up and tortured it's that much worse.[/SPOILER] Outside of being tasteless, it's all so obvious and ham-fisted. I'll give it that it was fairly disturbing but it was so in such a manipulative, over-the-top fashion that it's hard to award it any credit.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, ever.
        To each his own bro. Sure the quality was poor, but that is to be expected with such a low budget movie. Still, i enjoyed the film and thought it succeeded in doing what it was supposed to do, which is shock and disturb the viewer.

Comment

This was pretty good.

I got the same vibe as "The Poughkeepsie Tapes" throughout this film, only I thought that film was superior. Having said that, this movie does has a relevant message that younger people should embrace. Unfortunately the acting and plot progression isn't good enough for me to enjoy it as a horror film and it is far too graphic for younger people to see.

6/10

Comment

Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
            and it is far too graphic for younger people to see.
            Much too graphic; not just in it's violence but in it's explicit language.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimate High
              [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]
              First off, it's severely tedious, the majority of it consists of exaggerated teen stereotypes talking to each other on webcams.
              Actually when I was an exchange student in the USA, I lived with a family where the host girls were exactly like Megan! One was 13 and one was 17 - they did tons of drugs, had parties with exctacy, LSD and what not and talked about nasty sex all the time (when the parents were not there). The parents were fanatic religious - so quite unpleasant for me, since I was young and tried to get along with all.

Of the same reason I thought the movies was quite disturbing because it was so recognizable! The scene with the digging was too long though.

Sick surpisingly well-made movie. Nice to see something new.

I'd give it 6.5/10
              My Top 15 Favorite Slasher Movies (leave a comment):
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1EJaizdfeU

Comment

The ending is too rough for it to be an effective film to watch with the kids.
                The acting and crappy script make it a below-par horror film.
                sigpic
                "Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned by acid or something like that?"
                "Oh no. It's just they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future."

Comment

[SPOILER]The fetish photos[/SPOILER] freaked me out the most. Disturbing flick.

Comment

I just watched this film on Netflix having no prior knowledge of it at all. Holy shit am I messed up for life now. As it was stated before, the first hour or so is "boring" although it is effective in making the characters seem real to the audience. So real, that when the famed final 22 minutes occur, I almost became physically ill.

At first I thought this was a standard exploitation flick, made by some 20-30 somethings that simply wanted to make the most fucked up movie they could (ala the "August Underground) series. However, after doing some personal research, I found that is not the case at all.

The director of the film went to extreme lengths to gather information (sometimes previously undisclosed information) about real-life abductions to craft the story.

On top of that, most of the dialogue from the film is, in fact, ACTUAL real-life dialogue. The director made a deal with friends and community members to be able to record/tape the lives of their kids on the terms that he would not tell the parents anything that he recorded. So for all those people who say the girls acted "unrealistically" or were "exaggerations," they really aren't. In fact, the whole time I was watching it, I thought the way the kids acted was pretty real indeed.

Another thing I liked about the film was that the director made a point to show how the media sensationalizing cases of abduction like this can, in fact, cause severe harm to the situation.

7/10 from me. Ultra disturbing, difficult subject matter that is in no way held back. The "found footage" style of the film is, at times, tried and unbelievable, but after a while you are able to suspend your disbelief in favor of the story.

Gorehounds won't find anything to like in this one, but exploitation/reality-thriller types will find something to enjoy...

... although "enjoy" and "like" aren't really words I would use to describe ANY of the feelings you will have when watching this one.

Comment

Watched it all i have to say is

Sucked king king's dick poorly put together could have done way better
                      $<(~Shelby~)>$
                      [XBOXLIVE]svdavis69[/XBOXLIVE]

Comment

I might watch this one tonight, I hope it is sick and disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Moopies View Post
                          I just watched this film on Netflix having no prior knowledge of it at all. Holy shit am I messed up for life now. As it was stated before, the first hour or so is "boring" although it is effective in making the characters seem real to the audience. So real, that when the famed final 22 minutes occur, I almost became physically ill.

At first I thought this was a standard exploitation flick, made by some 20-30 somethings that simply wanted to make the most fucked up movie they could (ala the "August Underground) series. However, after doing some personal research, I found that is not the case at all.

The director of the film went to extreme lengths to gather information (sometimes previously undisclosed information) about real-life abductions to craft the story.

On top of that, most of the dialogue from the film is, in fact, ACTUAL real-life dialogue. The director made a deal with friends and community members to be able to record/tape the lives of their kids on the terms that he would not tell the parents anything that he recorded. So for all those people who say the girls acted "unrealistically" or were "exaggerations," they really aren't. In fact, the whole time I was watching it, I thought the way the kids acted was pretty real indeed.

Another thing I liked about the film was that the director made a point to show how the media sensationalizing cases of abduction like this can, in fact, cause severe harm to the situation.

7/10 from me. Ultra disturbing, difficult subject matter that is in no way held back. The "found footage" style of the film is, at times, tried and unbelievable, but after a while you are able to suspend your disbelief in favor of the story.

Gorehounds won't find anything to like in this one, but exploitation/reality-thriller types will find something to enjoy...

... although "enjoy" and "like" aren't really words I would use to describe ANY of the feelings you will have when watching this one.
                          Super helpful, I might check it out now. After all the other reviews I wasn't feeling it but this one made me want to give it a watch.

Comment

I saw this a few days ago and its decent. The two leads definitely convinced me they were fourteen and I found their characters well-written. This ultimately made the build up of them befriending Josh feel very realistic and unsettling.

Unfortunately, the humor/satirical bits that take up half the movie completely drain the tension. They essentially take a dark turn in the narrative and make it a joke, which had the unfortunate effect of making me care less about what was going on.

I also could have done without [spoiler] the nine minute digging scene that did little other than pad the film to a feature length.[/spoiler]

All in all, this could have been a much more effective horror film if it played it straight.

A video review show dedicated to horror cinema.

Latest BSC episode (2/22/12):
                            The Gingerdead Man
                            Latest BSA episode (3/21/12): The Birds vs. The Birds!
                            Latest Vlog (3/27/12): The Hunger Games

Comment

Watched this this morning.

Pretty brilliant film. The script is well written, but asides from Megan, Amy, and "Josh" the acting was pretty blah.

It's also kind of boring, until the last 45 minutes, and then it starts getting more interesting. And it's been no secret that the last 20-25 minutes are very disturbing. This kind of stuff doesn't really bother me (I guess I've become accustomed to seeing this kind of thing happen everyday on Nancy Grace, which seems to be the only thing my family watches.)

The last 20 minutes definitely made the film though. Especially the

[SPOILER]Photos from the fetish site. Extremely unexpected, and when it happened it really shocked me. I had heard how intense it was, but I didn't think it was going to be that bad.[/SPOILER]

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                              I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

This is indeed quite disturbing at the end, especially coming after the first part. I identified with both characters and their need for acceptance and true friendship. Although at times it did feel a little contrived, such as with the establishment of characters, I don't believe it to be, as there are plenty of teenagers like this out there. [spoiler]Megan was essentially neglected and mistreated by her mother, who just didn't know how to handle her in a rational manner. Many parents are like this. This led her to take risks, such as in meeting up with Josh, although the way he seduced her was not just risky, but also very clever: getting a recommendation on him from a friend; acting shy so that he didn't have to reveal himself too early; stalking her and Amy to learn their movement patterns and gain other information (eg - what Megan wore to the party).

Megan showed her age by being innocent of things, especially when with Amy, regardless of her being quite sexually active. The way she mostly acted around Amy was how she wanted to be. How she acted around other people was how they expected her to act. Amy was far more innocent, and this definitely shone through in how she acted throughout. Girls do talk to their teddy bears, even at 13/14, so I don't feel this to be out-of-place either.

As for the digging of the hole, yes it was long, but I think it was done like that for a purpose other than to pad out the film. The other torture could have taken its place and turned the film into something completely different, but it wasn't, and this helped drive the message home. Nine minutes, or however long it lasts for, not only gives you time to think about what her fate will be, but also to help lead you along other avenues of thought. I found myself not only awestruck at what was going to happen, but seriously thinking on what kind of person could actually bury someone alive, let alone a very scared 14 year old girl, and without an iota of conscience showing through (a psychopath would be a good candidate).[/spoiler]What we do have to remember here, though, is that this film is an amalgamation of more than one case. There is also artistic licence to consider, but the biggest point is that abduction cases like this are still thankfully extremely rare. This is not to say that the point is invalid, as it is always prudent to be careful online, especially as a child whose judgement can be wonky at the best of times.

Overall, this film is a well-done, visceral affair that leaves just enough to the imagination as to be horrifying.
                                Last edited by Roland Deschain; 11-09-2011, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X