Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YellowBrickRoad

Got a release date for this month in select theatres

In 1940 the entire population of Friar, New Hampshire walked up a winding mountain trail, leaving everything behind. In 2008 the first official expedition into the wilderness attempts to solve the mystery of the lost citizens of Friar.
    [YOUTUBE]oeGMxE2vYlg[/YOUTUBE]

Will be watching this soon... Seems interesting
    sigpic

Comment

Takes place in New Hampshire, my home and the home of my horror film podcast, Dark Discussions!

Rock on!

Comment

I'm really curious about this one. I have read rather mixed reviews about it..some have said the ending was pretty stupid, and some have compared it to Session 9 (they did like that was a negative thing, but I really enjoyed Session 9 so that just raised my interest further).

At least the plot sounds pretty interesting, so I kinda have hopes for this one. I look forward to it

Comment

Angel Heart

Just saw a review where the reviewer compared this to the 1987 film Angel heart. Its a must see now.

Comment

I like the general plot to this movie, so I'll be checking it out. It reminds me of Roanoke.
            "It's not the end of the world, it's just the end of the day."

Comment

Agree with everyone here that said it looks interesting.

Comment

Okay so I cheated

Watched it just today, the movie does have tints of both blair witch and Angel Heart but in its own way is unique. I do recommend this one. It is an entertaining watch, start to finish. The formula is a been there, done that formula but the actors are well played and the sense of foreboding that lingers in the crisp New Hampshire air is well worth the watch. Oh and one more thing the subtle nods and sometimes not so subtle nods to the wizard of Oz themes were a refreshing change. I thought the movie would shy away from that context but it embraces it openly..watch the scarecrow part and youll know what I mean.
                Last edited by Chevy Chase; 07-09-2011, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy Chase View Post
                  Watched it just today, the movie does have tints of both blair witch and Angel Heart but in its own way is unique. I do recommend this one. It is an entertaining watch, start to finish. The formula is a been there, done that formula but the actors are well played and the sense of foreboding that lingers in the crisp New Hampshire air is well worth the watch. Oh and one more thing the subtle nods and sometimes not so subtle nods to the wizard of Oz themes were a refreshing change. I thought the movie would shy away from that context but it embraces it openly..watch the scarecrow part and youll know what I mean.
                  SICK! dying to check this out!

Comment

I thought it was a piece of shit. Great concept that went absolutely nowhere.
                    Fine acting, decent cinematography, creepy atmosphere but then it goes weird and utterly pointless.
                    I don't need to be spoon fed. But not only are the key questions never answered, they aren't even explored. Nothing fits together or makes any kind of sense.
                    And it's boring. Slow is fine, boring is not. You wait and wait for something to happen after a lot of build up, but there is no payoff. There's no real character development, no forward moving plot, or any sort of follow up to the who, how and why of the entire movie.
                    What a waste.
                    Last edited by Gunde; 07-29-2011, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Dull, forgettable with a nonsensical silly ending. Kind of a Blair Witch Project meets Lord of the Flies hybrid.

Comment

See, after reading and getting over and ultimately enjoying Stephen King's From a Buick 8, I can enjoy a film like YellowBrickRoad. In fact I am willing to wager that the movie might have been worse had they actually definitively explained what actually happened. I wouldn't mind them revisiting the setting with a sequel, if handled correctly.

I think when you have a small budget it is pretty challenging and I think for what they offered up, it wasn't too bad. So I am curious about the very last image of the movie, in the theater. Any thoughts?

I saw a striking similarity to what happened to a character in Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunde View Post
                          I thought it was a piece of shit. Great concept that went absolutely nowhere.
                          Fine acting, decent cinematography, creepy atmosphere but then it goes weird and utterly pointless.
                          I don't need to be spoon fed. But not only are the key questions never answered, they aren't even explored. Nothing fits together or makes any kind of sense.
                          And it's boring. Slow is fine, boring is not. You wait and wait for something to happen after a lot of build up, but there is no payoff. There's no real character development, no forward moving plot, or any sort of follow up to the who, how and why of the entire movie.
                          What a waste.
                          I was going to write something up but this hits it right on the nose. I'd actually put it on par with Shrooms as it looked good (cinematography), had decent enough acting, some atmosphere but ended up being pretty much a disappointment overall. I'd give it a 3.5/10.

Comment

I don't think it was that bad. I was disappointed that the last 1/3 got muddled and had an unsatisfactory ending, but for the most part, it was much better than the average indie fare coming out these days.

The acting was decent, the atmosphere and basic concept were great, the story just lost its way along the road...much like the characters in the film...hmmmm.

Anyway, I rate it more of a 6/10. At least worth a Netflix watch.

Comment

It wasn't the worst for direct to video low budget but it dragged very badly for the last 40 minutes. Started out with a ton of promise but just lost it's way. I really wanted to like it but just fell flat. I'll take this any day of the week over the majority of direct to video films but that doesn't mean it's a great watch by any means. Doubt I'll revisit this one down the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X