Contagion (2011)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heathen View Post
    I saw the trailer for this in front of FD5 and was completely underwhelmed by it. Outbreak Pt. Deux? No, thanks.
    While I do understand the comparison, the script of Contagion does much to set it apart from Outbreak. It's much more intelligent and even more frightening. It feels almost too realistic, and that is what makes it so fucking terrifying. Even when we're behind government doors, it feels as if the words they speak are taken straight from that of real discussions over the years when we faced Bird Flu and West Nile threats.

Comment

Originally posted by OpenThePodBayDoorsHal View Post
      While I do understand the comparison, the script of Contagion does much to set it apart from Outbreak. It's much more intelligent and even more frightening. It feels almost too realistic, and that is what makes it so fucking terrifying. Even when we're behind government doors, it feels as if the words they speak are taken straight from that of real discussions over the years when we faced Bird Flu and West Nile threats.
      It reeks of the typical ripped-from-the-headlines motif of bad television.

Comment

Great film - 8/10.

The lack of violence was meh, but still interesting and scary.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
        I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

"Contagion".....With a chilling doomsday scenario, "Contagion" is a gripping and disturbing film. Director Steven Soderbergh paints a frighteningly realistic look at a worldwide pandemic that spread without warning, and its devastating aftermath.
          The film deftly moves around the world showing the victims, scientists and investigators and how the crisis is affecting them. It also shows how quickly society can break down as scene after shocking scene of chaos and devastation are introduced and titled with the number of days since the outbreak of the virus.
          Soderbergh keeps you on the edge of your seat and doesn't give you a moment's rest. Characters are introduced and given just enough of a back story so that you understand their place in the film. Most heartbreaking is Matt Damon's role as a father who was watching over his only remaining child, going to great measures to keep her safe while also dealing with the death of his wife and the unfolding secret of the last days of her life. The cast is absolutely an A-List of Hollywood talent: Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Marion Cottillard, Laurence Fishburne, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, and John Hawkes are all impressive. Major standout is Matt Damon. A truly impressive array of stars in the film, some of whom play brief but significant parts in the overall story. However, the movie's strength is also its weakness in that with so many primary characters, there were some diverging story lines with that did not get fully fleshed out. Wonderful location shots,great art direction/production, and nicely done makeup effects also highlight the movie. A very captivating and gripping film!!

9/10

Comment

This looks okay, Kate Winslet is my main interest in it. I'll check it out on dvd probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Urdeadlyfriend View Post
              This looks okay, Kate Winslet is my main interest in it. I'll check it out on dvd probably.
              You wont be disappointed.

One of the better "Disease" films.

It feels real, and it really shows the collapse of society, and how corrupt the government is.

Comment

Originally posted by Se7en XxSinzXx View Post
                You wont be disappointed.

One of the better "Disease" films.

It feels real, and it really shows the collapse of society, and how corrupt the government is.
                Interesting. However, I really don't understand why this thread is under modern horror.

Comment

She is terrific with what she is given, and there is a certain touching moment with her character that choked me up a bit.

Comment

Interesting. However, I really don't understand why this thread is under modern horror.
                    I understand how it can be perceived as a horror film, but IMO it's more of a drama.

Comment

SPOT ON REVIEW!!!

Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
                      She is terrific with what she is given, and there is a certain touching moment with her character that choked me up a bit.
                      Highly agree, her emotions on her face say it all every time.

Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
                      "Contagion".....With a chilling doomsday scenario, "Contagion" is a gripping and disturbing film. Director Steven Soderbergh paints a frighteningly realistic look at a worldwide pandemic that spread without warning, and its devastating aftermath.
                      The film deftly moves around the world showing the victims, scientists and investigators and how the crisis is affecting them. It also shows how quickly society can break down as scene after shocking scene of chaos and devastation are introduced and titled with the number of days since the outbreak of the virus.
                      Soderbergh keeps you on the edge of your seat and doesn't give you a moment's rest. Characters are introduced and given just enough of a back story so that you understand their place in the film. Most heartbreaking is Matt Damon's role as a father who was watching over his only remaining child, going to great measures to keep her safe while also dealing with the death of his wife and the unfolding secret of the last days of her life. The cast is absolutely an A-List of Hollywood talent: Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Marion Cottillard, Laurence Fishburne, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, and John Hawkes are all impressive. Major standout is Matt Damon. A truly impressive array of stars in the film, some of whom play brief but significant parts in the overall story. However, the movie's strength is also its weakness in that with so many primary characters, there were some diverging story lines with that did not get fully fleshed out. Wonderful location shots,great art direction/production, and nicely done makeup effects also highlight the movie. A very captivating and gripping film!!

9/10
                      I concur with your review. I give it an 8/10. It reminded me of "Outbreak", which was played out much differently. More humor in it with the characters, especially with Kevin Spacey and Dustin Hoffman.

In Contagion I loved the different stories intertwined and how it all came together in its conclusion. Sorry if a spoiler there.

Much more seriousness and depth in the stellar cast. Kate Winslet, Matt Damon, and Lawrence Fishburne gave terrific performances.

The direction was fantastic!! Eric Soderbergh is a stellar director. His "Ocean" films were some of my favorites from him. Always picks great actors/actresses in his films.

Highly recommend this film.
                      "You're no crazier than most people, prolly a little too sane if anything." Willowfang

Comment

Looks to high budget to be any good.
                        Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places.
                        H.P. Lovecraft
                        "The Picture in the House"

Comment

Originally posted by Wait_Till_Helen_Comes View Post
                          Looks to high budget to be any good.

Comment

Originally posted by Se7en XxSinzXx View Post
                            I understand how it can be perceived as a horror film, but IMO it's more of a drama.
                            That's what I thought and honestly I just wanted to save my money for Drive and Straw Dogs this weekend.. both look much better than this, I think.

Comment

That's what I thought and honestly I just wanted to save my money for Drive and Straw Dogs this weekend.. both look much better than this, I think.
                              My fucking welfare ass piece of shit theater doesn't have either of them.

Oh, but we do have "The Help", "The Change Up" and "The Lion King" playing.

On Contagion, I think it's better then you think. I was honestly expecting a average virus film with lots of Hollywood stars, but it was much more then that.

Comment

I wasn't really wowed by this. The acting was great (short of Fishburne), but the movie just seemed to go through the motions of documenting a viral catastrophe. People were dying and there was looting and such, but there was a decided lack of tension in the plot. They were trying to exploit the scientific angle, but it sucked the life out of the action.

It was interesting to watch, but I don't know if I was even remotely invested in the outcome. Other virus related movies like Outbreak, make this movie look kind of pedestrian.

6/10

Comment

Working...
                                X