Sinister (2012)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DudeClassicMan View Post
    If that's true, I'm a little sad for all those stupid assholes who will be holding Saw up as a classic franchise. The torture trap genre is a tedious bore for the most part. Give me the dumb brainless fun of slashers any day.

Then again, I'd be willing to wager plenty of people will still be talking about Friday & NOES however many decades you want to jump ahead. And something will definitely come along to blow the likes of Saw out of the water in the next twenty years.
    People have been saying this shit for ever about every new fad in the genre.... Slashers suck, no remakes suck, no found footage films suck, no this series sucks no that one sucks..... People who love Saw will probably hate whatever the next big horror craze is....

Doesn't make one better than the other, just shows what you like most, and most likely, what era you fell in love with the genre during.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
      People have been saying this shit for ever about every new fad in the genre.... Slashers suck, no remakes suck, no found footage films suck, no this series sucks no that one sucks..... People who love Saw will probably hate whatever the next big horror craze is....

Doesn't make one better than the other, just shows what you like most, and most likely, what era you fell in love with the genre during.
      Yeah, but I'd say there hasn't been this much gimmick ridden shit driving the genre since William Castle was making money hand over fist....that goes for torture traps and found footage.

Remakes don't even register with me as an annoyance because I'm not OCD enough to have them diminish my enjoyment of the originals; if anything some kid might stumble onto the originals.

Comment

• As for Sinister, it was a real kick in the balls.

Comment

Yeah, but I'd say there hasn't been this much gimmick ridden shit driving the genre since William Castle was making money hand over fist....that goes for torture traps and found footage.

Remakes don't even register with me as an annoyance because I'm not OCD enough to have them diminish my enjoyment of the originals; if anything some kid might stumble onto the originals.
          eh, horror movies are just as good as they've ever been, gimmicky or not. There's just a lot more films to watch now days because of the almost unlimited outlets for creating and releasing them that exist.

Comment

eh, horror movies are just as good as they've ever been, gimmicky or not. There's just a lot more films to watch now days because of the almost unlimited outlets for creating and releasing them that exist.
            TO THAT

Comment

• [YOUTUBE]?v=yuIQDxHJj-M[/YOUTUBE]

Made me jump like hell.

Comment

• I don't get why people are complaining about how many terrible films are out there, and they aren't all mainstream. Some mainstream films are good, some are bad, and vice versa with underground horror. Arguably, it was much, much worse in the '80's when every movie tried to copy Halloween.

All in all, I think there have been a sufficient amount of good horror films released over the last few years, this being one of them.

Unfortunately, some may actually see the Saw franchise as a classic one, but I won't ever. I'm honestly still baffled as to how it even caught on in the first place. *shrugs

Comment

If that's true, I'm a little sad for all those stupid assholes who will be holding Saw up as a classic franchise. The torture trap genre is a tedious bore for the most part. Give me the dumb brainless fun of slashers any day.

Then again, I'd be willing to wager plenty of people will still be talking about Friday & NOES however many decades you want to jump ahead. And something will definitely come along to blow the likes of Saw out of the water in the next twenty years.
                  Halloween >>> Saw >>> Friday >>> Nightmare. Give me Saw over the boring, unoriginal retreads any day. At least Saw attempted to be creative and pulled it off with moderate success at different points throughout the series.

The point of my post is to show that movies & music, regardless of genre are going to be praised and hailed as classics just like movies from the 60's, 70's and 80's are today. It's not like the classics of today are going to be thrown away and never talked about again but as people get older they're going to look back fondly on the days of being 10-13 years old and watching Saw over at their friends house during a sleepover or whatever.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                  I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Se7en Sins View Post
                    No. You're letting your idiotic brain let nostalgia crowd real, unbiased and objective opinions.

You need to realize that in twenty years people are going to talk about modern movies & franchises like Saw the exact same way horror geeks talk about Friday & NOES now. You're mind is already made up to expect negative things so you nit pick any way you can.

Grow up homie. You sound like an old man who's going all "Back in my Day!" on us.
                    Nope. I am pretty good at being objective, and I can still appreciate good modern movies if I see them like Inside, Martyrs etc which were amazing. Saw was ok, I havent seen the rest but stuff like insidious, conjuring, sinister are mediocre at best and will always be

Comment

Such a silly statement. As good as ever huh?

Ok some old classics

Alien
                      Halloween
                      The Thing
                      Exorcist
                      Omen
                      Poltergeist
                      The Shining

List any from the last 10 years that are comparable. Make sure you don't make me laugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mirage01 View Post

Ok some old classics

Alien
                        Halloween
                        The Thing
                        Exorcist
                        Omen
                        Poltergeist
                        The Shining

List any from the last 10 years that are comparable. Make sure you don't make me laugh.
                        Don't act like I haven't seen all of those (and countless more) and don't understand their influences. You clearly have your mind made up about what you think the "best" era is what and style is "best". I'm not saying those movies aren't classics (many of those are among my favorite), but come on you didn't even read any of my posts here to understand what I was saying.

I could list 20 or 30 awesome modern horror films but A) you already have in your head what the best is and B) look around on these boards and you will find plenty of threads that have lists of modern greats.

Comment

• I think we're all pretty much in more agreement than disagreement about there being as many good movies out there as ever...and there being as much shit as ever. I still stand by very few of the quality movies residing in the torture trap or found footage jump scare genres. REC I & II (I haven't seen III yet and understand it drops the found footage aspect) immediately comes to mind as a great series that qualifies as found footage.

Well, except for Saw being this great franchise. I still don't agree with that. It's just an endless gamut of Rube Goldberg torture devices movie after movie. Who gives a fuck? There is no icon involved in the franchise. The torture traps are the iconic figure. And I saw the original (and II) in the theater and liked it well enough. It's just not something I've ever seen much point in watching again. Now I guess the franchise is a great live crowd experience to see in theaters but then again so was William Castle's oeuvre. Disposable junk: Saw franchise.

As for coming from a place of nostalgia, I'm not even a franchise fanatic of any of the eighties big dogs. I like the first two Halloweens, Nightmare I & III and don't really see any of the Fridays standing out from one another as they're all sort of the same mindless fun.
                          Last edited by DudeClassicMan; 11-22-2013, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Well, except for Saw being this great franchise. I still don't agree with that. It's just an endless gamut of Rube Goldberg torture devices movie after movie. Who gives a fuck? There is no icon involved in the franchise. The torture traps are the iconic figure. And I saw the original (and II) in the theater and liked it well enough. It's just not something I've ever seen much point in watching again. Now I guess the franchise is a great live crowd experience to see in theaters but then again so was William Castle's oeuvre. Disposable junk: Saw franchise.

As for coming from a place of nostalgia, I'm not even a franchise fanatic of any of the eighties big dogs. I like the first two Halloweens, Nightmare I & III and don't really see any of the Fridays standing out from one another as they're all sort of the same mindless fun.
                            SAW is what it is. It's this generation's big horror franchise, not unlike the franchises you mentioned. I can understand thinking they're not the greatest of films, but what big horror franchise from the 70's or 80's are made up of these impecable masterpieces? Outside of the original films, they're all unbearable garbage. SAW as whole, in comparison to Friday, or the Halloween films, is downright intelligent, and are the better films by far.

You don't have to like the movies, but you certainly can't deny their place in history. It's a billion dollar franchise, that was built from a $1 million indie film. Jigsaw is now an iconic movie villain. It also kind of kickstarted the horror genre again, after the void left from the Scream franchise, and all of it's clones. It will be remembered.

As for Sinister.....it sucked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heretic View Post
                              SAW is what it is. It's this generation's big horror franchise, not unlike the franchises you mentioned. I can understand thinking they're not the greatest of films, but what big horror franchise from the 70's or 80's are made up of these impecable masterpieces? Outside of the original films, they're all unbearable garbage. SAW as whole, in comparison to Friday, or the Halloween films, is downright intelligent, and are the better films by far.

You don't have to like the movies, but you certainly can't deny their place in history. It's a billion dollar franchise, that was built from a $1 million indie film. Jigsaw is now an iconic movie villain. It also kind of kickstarted the horror genre again, after the void left from the Scream franchise, and all of it's clones. It will be remembered.

As for Sinister.....it sucked.
                              I agree entirely (although I enjoyed Sinister)

I don't get why people say Saw sucks compared to other series... It stands up just as well and generally follows the same pattern of reception (one or two movies that were praised almost universally followed by a ton of sequels that ultimately only please diehard fans). I think Saw deserves its place among iconic franchises. Are they masterpieces? Like you said, no way... But they have proven themselves in the genre.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mirage01 View Post

Ok some old classics

Alien
                                Halloween
                                The Thing
                                Exorcist
                                Omen
                                Poltergeist
                                The Shining

Only three of those movies deserve to be listed...the rest are unbelievably overrated and, in some cases, absolutely fucking boring.

People who are all "old school, FUCK NEW SCHOOL" or vice versa are annoying. Not every horror movie from the '70's was good just like not every movie from the 2000-2010's is bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X